Weiss Engineering DAC50x (DAC501 and DAC502) Review
Dec 10, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #31 of 404
it's hasn't been an hour and I already see someone here recommending Holo as a far better option than Weiss.... :deadhorse:
That is for his taste and preference then.

Weiss is my top 3 so far on par with Mytek Empire which could be subject to change with growing experience and ownership.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #32 of 404
That is for his taste and preference.

Weiss is my top 3 so far on par with Mytek Empire which could be subject to change with more experience.
Is that a new Mytek? I must have missed them at the AXPONA. I will take a listen next year.

Dec 10, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #34 of 404
Two top performing ESS implementation.
Got it. Too bad monolithic chip is a bad word here, and people get turned off without listening to the actual gear.

Dec 10, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #36 of 404
it's hasn't been an hour and I already see someone here recommending Holo as a far better option than Weiss.... :deadhorse:
That does seem rather bias but then again it's totally up to the that user's preference. Hopefully that user hears both in his/her own setup before making that judgement. The 501 and Dac2x interest me more than Holo and if all goes well I should be able to evaluate both and possibly an Aqua La Scala in my own setup in the coming new year. Hopefully all 3 at the same time.

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #37 of 404
Weiss Engineering DAC501/DAC502 Review Supplement: Versus Chord Electronics's DAVE

Given the DAC502’s price range and usage case, the closest direct competitor is Chord Electronics’s Dave, and in head-to-head comparisons, I found that the DAC502 more than held its own.

In terms of frequency response, I found the DAC502 to be more linear, especially through the mid-range

Weiss-50X-Review_Test-Track_English-Suite-No-3.jpg

Though it’s not the most pristine of recordings, Lagoya & Presti’s rendition of Bach’s English Suite No. 3 — as transcribed for two guitars — remains an unparalleled example of exquisite harmony.

It is here that the Dave’s upper mid-range emphasis actually worked against it. In certain contrapuntal passages, especially those with considerable differences in note pitch, the lower notes sounded noticeably recessed… so much so, that either Lagoya or Presti (I can't be sure which) sounded physically more distant within the stage.

The DAC502 didn’t exhibit this quirk at all. It’s even-keeled mid-range linearity kept Lagoya and Presti as the marvelous duet that they were, on-stage together, as they always should be.

When it came to detail, the DAC502 often out-resolved the Dave, particularly when it came to bass notes. In addition to flat-out hitting harder, the DAC502’s bass presentation felt more incisive, more visceral, being both tighter and more textural.

If you primarily listen to Pop, K-Pop, Hip-Hop, Rap, and other highly-produced genres, this won’t benefit you greatly.

But if you have a deep appreciation of sophisticated electronic artists, who place a great deal of emphasis on sound design, then the DAC502 definitely has something to offer over and above the Dave.

Weiss-50X-Review_Test-Track_Scientists.jpg

Weiss-50X-Review_Test-Track_Journeyman.jpg

For example, with Four Tet’s continuing exploration of found sounds — as well as Amon Tobin’s experimentation with meticulously constructed sounds — the DAC502’s textural advantages allowed me to enjoy their artistry all the more.

And finally, the DAC502’s precise imaging characteristics rendered placement more accurately in live recordings; whereas the Dave tended to be more diffuse and dreamy in disposition.

Weiss-50X-Review_Test-Track_Mansinneedof.jpg

Listening to Sarah Jarosz’s Mansineedof, live at The Troubadour, we can hear the DAC502 image that performance accurately. We’re right there, sitting on stage at Sarah’s feet, with Nat Smith a few feet stage left, and Alex Hargreaves a few feet stage right.

By contrast, the Dave presented this more expansively, with all three players approximately where they should, but not as sharply in focus. I should probably mention that I know Doug Weston’s Troubadour fairly well. It’s actually my favorite live venue back in Los Angeles. And I can tell you that neither the stage, nor the venue itself, is as big as the Dave would have us believe.

Now, none of this is to say that I found egregious faults with the Chord Dave. not at all. It remains a very competent DAC in its own right, so could be fair to say that the DAC502 simply renders music differently?

That said, with the DAC502 offering better linearity, enhanced detail, and superior imaging to my ears, I consider it to be the more accurate of the two — especially from a critical listening standpoint — which is why I prefer it over the Dave… and why I consider it to be more suitable as a reference DAC.

Was this a Dave with Mscaler? I admit it adds lot €$£ to it..

Its easy to have compensated for a headphone or track shortcomings with Weis's DSP.. so one thinks its better sounding..

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #38 of 404

Its easy to have compensated for a headphone or track shortcomings with Weis's DSP.. so one thinks its better sounding..
I think Warren knows what he is doing :rolling_eyes:

Mscaler is not a silver bullet and its effects are not all that pronounced with Dave. Mscaler with TT had greater difference than TT alone, but it’s mostly different and not necessarily better in all aspects - it’s a different flavoring of the same dac at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #39 of 404
Got it. Too bad monolithic chip is a bad word here, and people get turned off without listening to the actual gear.
Well, in the case of Mytek, the house sound is a little sterile. The designer comes right out and says his DACs are not euphonic.

My Brooklyn DAC+ is decidely less musical than my AKM RME for example. If you don't listen back to back you don't notice it so much. But it's there.

On the other hand, the Brooklyn is a really nice diagnostic tool for streaming, including MQA. You get to see levels and also what input sample rate and bit depth is and what the decoded (MQA expanded) sample rate and bit depth are.

Dec 11, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #40 of 404

It was not. I wanted to let them go head-to-head as singular and self-contained units. Perhaps a more interesting question along the same lines would be, how does the Weiss 501/502 fare against a TT 2 + M Scaler stack? Given the minimum price disparity there, that might be interesting? Unfortunately, I didn't have that stack here, so I'll have to leave that experiment to others. :relaxed:

I suppose? I wouldn't know as I compared the two purely as DACs with no DSP enabled on the Weiss - except for that one part where I was specifically comparing the Weiss's crossfeed to the DAVE's crossfeed.

I think Warren knows what he is doing :rolling_eyes:

Almost! :laughing:

Well, in the case of Mytek, the house sound is a little sterile. The designer comes right out and says his DACs are not euphonic.

While I've heard several Mytek DACs since, the last one I actually owned was the Stereo192-DSD from back in the day. I would describe its sound as being somewhat akin to attending a highly technical seminar... very competent, with no sense of humor whatsoever. :wink:

Dec 11, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #41 of 404
It was not. I wanted to let them go head-to-head as singular and self-contained units. Perhaps a more interesting question along the same lines would be, how does the Weiss 501/502 fare against a TT 2 + M Scaler stack? Given the minimum price disparity there, that might be interesting? Unfortunately, I didn't have that stack here, so I'll have to leave that experiment to others. :relaxed:

I suppose? I wouldn't know as I compared the two purely as DACs with no DSP enabled on the Weiss - except for that one part where I was specifically comparing the Weiss's crossfeed to the DAVE's crossfeed.

Almost! :laughing:

While I've heard several Mytek DACs since, the last one I actually owned was the Stereo192-DSD from back in the day. I would describe its sound as being somewhat akin to attending a highly technical seminar... very competent, with no sense of humor whatsoever. :wink:
With good matching cables, isolation, and source, Weiss is my personal top3 for loudspeakers and top 2 for electrostatic setup for me:) it truly shines in my loudspeaker system as well as my electrostatic system which has the highest demand for source, capable of revealing any artificial errors even from source 3 times of Weiss.

Sound demo: ( My preamp and power amp match perfected with Weiss DAC)

My Brooklyn DAC+ is decidely less musical than my AKM RME for example. If you don't listen back to back you don't notice it so much. But it's there.

On the other hand, the Brooklyn is a really nice diagnostic tool for streaming, including MQA. You get to see levels and also what input sample rate and bit depth is and what the decoded (MQA expanded) sample rate and bit depth are.

It is easy to use one product of a brand to predict and assume other product of the same brand with the same sound, which I also do often but proven to be wrong many times.

The new flagship AIO Empire from Mytek is technical as top notch chip DACs as well as full sounding as TOTL R2R/FPGA constructions.

As an ESS chip fan boy, these two are definitely my two favorite ESS DACs so far with two different presentations at top ceiling level. Weiss is more accurate spatially and reference like while Empire is fuller and more detailed sounding with more beef, muscles. bones and meat, opposite to its lower lineup.

They are also at different price range suitable to different budgets and buyers. ( FYI, no affiliation to either of these two, or any brands lol)

I never used the DSP of Weiss but I much much much prefer it to Dave personally. The stage and dimensions are much bigger in Weiss meanwhile less digital sounding. In terms of similarity, I would say It is a more musical version of dCS due to its accurate spatial presentation as well as neutrality as true to source with minimal sound colorization.

But again in the game of DACs, it is more about synergy as well as preferences. I owned and sold a lot of R2R/FPGA DACs and my empirical experience made me find out what is right for me: chip DACs.

(Haters have no gears, no ears, and no manners lol)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #42 of 404
I think there's a problem with many Chord fans that they seem to blank out any other DAC in existence that's not designed by Rob Watts but the truth is there is a lot of competent and very experienced digital to analog designers out there. Don't lock yourself in to one mans idea of perfection because there's so many flavours to taste and enjoy!

Dec 12, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #43 of 404
I think there's a problem with many Chord fans that they seem to blank out any other DAC in existence that's not designed by Rob Watts but the truth is there is a lot of competent and very experienced digital to analog designers out there. Don't lock yourself in to one mans idea of perfection because there's so many flavours to taste and enjoy!
Lol i diverted from that one man's idea by modifiying his products to my own tastes.
See my bio links

I also enjoy my AKM chipped Questyle DAC amp for some music genres.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #44 of 404
If it means anything I have consistently recommended Weiss here over many years as a fantastic relatively affordable SOTA dac for $10k and less (can be found for way less if buying used). But, almost no one here cares because everyone wants Chord, Holo or denafrips whatever or another China-Fi dac. Go figure.
Relatively affordable? That metal box cost 10.000€ atleast Chord Dave justify the look. The weiss looks like a DIY dac. I know weiss i the most famous in the world, best service/support there is. That thing just dont look like its worth more than the competition. Its about sound not looks(Blah!)

Dec 13, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #45 of 404
It is easy to use one product of a brand to predict and assume other product of the same brand with the same sound, which I also do often but proven to be wrong many times.

Fair point, and even more so now that Mytek has abandoned the pro market and is now essentially a hifi company. I haven't had a chance to hear the Empire and I don't suppose I will.

But, if Michal Jurewicz has not changed his view that DACs should not be euphonic then there is still room to assume the house sound is still the house sound, which I think is good but not to my taste when I compare it to other gear I have. I haven't seen if he has written anything further on the topic.

I can say Brooklyn impressed me with a gorgeous build and UX. It looks and feels like I got my money's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back