Weiss Engineering DAC50x (DAC501 and DAC502) Review
Dec 8, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #16 of 404
First of all, thank you for the detailed review. However, I'm concerned that you made no financial disclosure. It is my understanding that the videos by Head-Fi (other than Can Jam previews) are paid for by the manufacturer. Further, my understanding is that MOFT pay at least 5K per year to be on Head-Fi. If Head-Fi is now going to have review videos, which I welcome, I think it would be unethical if you did not disclose Head-Fi's financial relationship with the manufacturer, if any.

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #17 of 404
Take out expectation bias, pre conception, diminishing returns and measurements that only a bat could hear on a good night.
What Hi Fi reviewed and said it was “Possibly” (nothing like accuracy!) “the best DAC they've heard, and yet it’s relatively affordable”.
mmm...

Now they're normalizing $10K headphone amps and $10K DACS.

Soon the accepted wisdom will be that you need $20k in front of your headphones to drive them to their ''full potential''

I would bet a large amount of money that a well built DAC/Amp from RME would be as good as any of these exotic components with 99% of headphones.

People forget Tyll's Big Sound 2015 with Bob Katz and a bunch of other headfiers. Nobody could reliably tell the difference between the Yggy and the Antelope Zodiac DAC.

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #18 of 404
First of all, thank you for the detailed review. However, I'm concerned that you made no financial disclosure. It is my understanding that the videos by Head-Fi (other than Can Jam previews) are paid for by the manufacturer. Further, my understanding is that MOFT pay at least 5K per year to be on Head-Fi. If Head-Fi is now going to have review videos, which I welcome, I think it would be unethical if you did not disclose Head-Fi's financial relationship with the manufacturer, if any.
Well Weiss is not a listed sponsor, so that's a fair point.

Now they're normalizing $10K headphone amps and $10K DACS.

Soon the accepted wisdom will be that you need $20k in front of your headphones to drive them to their ''full potential''

I would bet a large amount of money that a well built DAC/Amp from RME would be as good as any of these exotic components with 99% of headphones.

People forget Tyll's Big Sound 2015 with Bob Katz and a bunch of other headfiers. Nobody could reliably tell the difference between the Yggy and the Antelope Zodiac DAC.
Doesn't really sync up with what i've heard so far unfortunately, but I'll have more to report next week.
Would gladly sell off both Dave and the Rossini if that were the case.

Dec 8, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #21 of 404
I tried to look up but could not find any info on ownership of Weiss. Is it still owned by Dan Weiss or got taken over by private equity like AR, McIntosh, Nagra, etc.?
It's most likely him. A forum member recently had his delivered by him in person.

Dec 8, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #22 of 404
20221208_115415.jpg

Not the best picture but you get the idea.

I run my Weiss DAC501-4Ch out into a ALO Studio Six. The Studio Six is a very linear tube amp. It's not known to overly color the sound. With the Weiss and the Studio Six, I get a true and natural transparent sound. For my ears the combo works perfectly.

A side note, I actually use the DAC501 as a straightforward DAC. While it has a huge amount of bells and whistles, it's most important value to me is for is conversation. In this capacity it's the best I've heard.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #23 of 404
Thank you for the great review! I appreciate it very much that you had a detailed look at the DSP algorithms. (If you have a chance to check the XTC algorithm (speaker mode DSP) I suggest to do so. It basically is a headphone made with speakers - the left speaker goes to the left ear, mainly, the right speaker to the right ear.)

As for the issue with the headphone / speaker type DSP processing - the latest firmware (which you can download via the web interface) solves that in that both headphone outputs as well as the XLR / RCA outputs can be switched to either headphone or speaker type DSP processing. So you can use those XLR sockets to connect your balanced headphone and have the headphone type DSP. Or you can use an external headphone amp (like the one needed for the Audeze CRBN) and connect it to the XLR or RCA outputs.
We will add more headphone models in due time. Downloading the firmware will add them.

As for the loudness EQ algorithm - the dB number set via the "Level" parameter means the loudness you play the track at home. The goal is to get a better sounding playback when using low volume playback, e.g. at night time.

Daniel

Dec 8, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #24 of 404
Thank you for the great review! I appreciate it very much that you had a detailed look at the DSP algorithms. (If you have a chance to check the XTC algorithm (speaker mode DSP) I suggest to do so. It basically is a headphone made with speakers - the left speaker goes to the left ear, mainly, the right speaker to the right ear.)

As for the issue with the headphone / speaker type DSP processing - the latest firmware (which you can download via the web interface) solves that in that both headphone outputs as well as the XLR / RCA outputs can be switched to either headphone or speaker type DSP processing. So you can use those XLR sockets to connect your balanced headphone and have the headphone type DSP. Or you can use an external headphone amp (like the one needed for the Audeze CRBN) and connect it to the XLR or RCA outputs.
We will add more headphone models in due time. Downloading the firmware will add them.

As for the loudness EQ algorithm - the dB number set via the "Level" parameter means the loudness you play the track at home. The goal is to get a better sounding playback when using low volume playback, e.g. at night time.

Daniel

Daniel,

Great to see you here on Head-Fi. It was nice to meet you this past summer in Zurich when I was able to purchase my DAC501 4Ch directly from you. I enjoy it very much. I look forward to the new updates as you continue to add features to the DAC50x series.

All my best,

Robert

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #25 of 404
Thank you for the great review! I appreciate it very much that you had a detailed look at the DSP algorithms.

Nice to meet you Mr. Weiss, and thank you for the kind words. :relaxed:

(If you have a chance to check the XTC algorithm (speaker mode DSP) I suggest to do so. It basically is a headphone made with speakers - the left speaker goes to the left ear, mainly, the right speaker to the right ear.)

Unfortunately, I did not have a chance to do that at the time, and all of the review/evaluation units have long since been returned. Perhaps someday in the future.

That is excellent news, and it effectively negates one of my criticisms. :thumbsup:

Dec 9, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #27 of 404
Dec 10, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #28 of 404
If it means anything I have consistently recommended Weiss here over many years as a fantastic relatively affordable SOTA dac for $10k and less (can be found for way less if buying used). But, almost no one here cares because everyone wants Chord, Holo or denafrips whatever or another China-Fi dac. Go figure.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #29 of 404
no one here cares because everyone wants Chord, Holo or denafrips
These are pretty good dacs and prior to this Weiss did little to market their dacs to headphone crowd and there's very little user experience and feedback to go by. Dacs aren't the most accessible thing to try after all and often times people go by reviews to judge their next purchase which isn't ideal. I'm using a Rockna dac which to my knowledge was relatively unknown to the headphone crowd prior to the release of wavelight. But having a mate who owns one certainly helps.

Dec 10, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #30 of 404
These are pretty good dacs and prior to this Weiss did little to market their dacs to headphone crowd and there's very little user experience and feedback to go by. Dacs aren't the most accessible thing to try after all and often times people go by reviews to judge their next purchase which isn't ideal. I'm using a Rockna dac which to my knowledge was relatively unknown to the headphone crowd prior to the release of wavelight. But having a mate who owns one certainly helps.
it's hasn't been an hour and I already see someone here recommending Holo as a far better option than Weiss.... :deadhorse:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back