Weiss Engineering DAC50x (DAC501 and DAC502) Review
Dec 13, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #46 of 422
Fair point, and even more so now that Mytek has abandoned the pro market and is now essentially a hifi company. I haven't had a chance to hear the Empire and I don't suppose I will.

But, if Michal Jurewicz has not changed his view that DACs should not be euphonic then there is still room to assume the house sound is still the house sound, which I think is good but not to my taste when I compare it to other gear I have. I haven't seen if he has written anything further on the topic.

I can say Brooklyn impressed me with a gorgeous build and UX. It looks and feels like I got my money's worth.
Good point, I told Michal the same concerns after listening to their prototypes at different stages. I’m glad that they have developed the HAT to adjust the sound sig if you want warmer, warmer+, or warmer++:) Both Mytek and Weiss have studio pro background which I believe is good technology foundation as ballet in dancing, and opera in singing. As a result they sound more correct and neutral than many other Hifi sources.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #47 of 422
BAD, Bricasti, Emm Labs/Playback and dCS were also making pro studio gear before they turned to HiFi - they all sound different but great in their own ways. One aspect they all share in common is technical competency in terms of music reproduction.

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #49 of 422
Dec 16, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #50 of 422
An amazing friend, professor and scientist wrote and published this article at Stereophile 16 years ago which I found still highly relevant and inspiring today as the words of audiophile wisdom:

https://www.stereophile.com/feature...VAUAalOL9lnzhuqlVBGgy3QXmMKUc&mibextid=Zxz2cZ
I have been auditioning Wilson and Sonus from time to time over many decades - still lack both space and funds to pull the trigger on either. I think they have actually moved toward each other over time in terms of philosophy in audio reproduction. In other words, Wilson has gotten more musical and engaging and Sonus has gotten more detailed and technical. You can still tell them apart but they are not THAT far apart anymore and you can actually build extremely technically competent and musically enjoyable system using either brand. To clarify, they don't sound alike but both are amazing, along with amazing offerings from Dynaudio (the confidence line obviously).

I will probably eventually get the Amati when I get the right space - extremely high WAF with that glossy walnut finish.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #51 of 422
I have been auditioning Wilson and Sonus from time to time over many decades - still lack both space and funds to pull the trigger on either. I think they have actually moved toward each other over time in terms of philosophy in audio reproduction. In other words, Wilson has gotten more musical and engaging and Sonus has gotten more detailed and technical. You can still tell them apart but they are not THAT far apart anymore and you can actually build extremely technically competent and musically enjoyable system using either brand. To clarify, they don't sound alike but both are amazing, along with amazing offerings from Dynaudio (the confidence line obviously).

I will probably eventually get the Amati when I get the right space - extremely high WAF with that glossy walnut finish.
Fusion
Is
The
Trend

Dec 16, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #52 of 422

Have you tried Aurender N20/30? Amazing with Weiss, Emm Labs, Esoteric…

I am not crazy about streamers but that one is special, sounding close to CD/SACD, adding master clock will make it sound more turntable…

Dec 16, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #53 of 422
Have you tried Aurender N20/30? Amazing with Weiss, Emm Labs, Esoteric…

I am not crazy about streamers but that one is special, sounding close to CD/SACD, adding master clock will make it sound more turntable…
The last few times I heard Aurender n20 I have been really impressed. They are the real deal. I settled on Emm Labs NS1 for its simpler functionality (I only needed a bridge and don’t need any internal storage or other functions that Aurender offers) and NS1 has better compatibility with my Emm Labs dac. If I were to get a streamer with any other dac Aurender would be at the top of my list.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #54 of 422
The last few times I heard Aurender n20 I have been really impressed. They are the real deal. I settled on Emm Labs NS1 for its simpler functionality (I only needed a bridge and don’t need any internal storage or other functions Aurender offers) and NS1 has better compatibility with my Emm Labs dac. If I were to get a streamer with any other dac Aurender would be at the top of my list.
Hard agree! I think their core technology is trying to mimic similar digital process that CD transports do with its buffering drive. It doesn’t sound gimmicky at all unlike many other streamers I experienced. It is also the only component in my knowledge that could support both master clock as well as word clock via the same clock input.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #55 of 422
Excellent article...thanks for sharing.
Dr. Borden is by all means the expert of loudspeaker world and I do agree and also prefer solid state power amp for loudspeaker systems in many cases. Yet for headphone systems, I prefer tube headamps or at least with a tube preamp. While I respect accurate source as military based dCS, yet personally speaking I chase for balance between absolute accuracy with musicality, therefore I have a soft spot towards sources hitting such a subtle sweet spot such as Weiss, Esoteric and Aurender.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #56 of 422
Dr. Borden is by all means the expert of loudspeaker world and I do agree and also prefer solid state power amp for loudspeaker systems in many cases. Yet for headphone systems, I prefer tube headamps or at least with a tube preamp. While I respect accurate source as military based dCS, yet personally speaking I chase for balance between absolute accuracy with musicality, therefore I have a soft spot towards sources hitting such a subtle sweet spot such as Weiss, Esoteric and Aurender.
Have you heard dCS stuff?

Dec 18, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #59 of 422
Are there any reviews of the new Mk2 (4-ch) versions of the DAC501/502? For 2-channel use, are they any better than the older versions?
The 4Ch version uses the newest ESS chips. Weiss has also improved the analog output sections including XLR & RCA outs and the headphone section. The 4Ch version also improves with newest ARM and SHARC processors. Linear power supplies separated form the digital and analog section with many percussion voltage regulators are also refined from the standard 50x DACs.

I had the standard DAC502 in house in January and February for an audition. At about that time Weiss announced the new 4Ch versions. When it was time to make my purchase I decided to go with the newer 4Ch version. I'd say the 4Ch is a refinement of the original versions. Not drastically different but definitely improved and refined.

I've not heard either in a 2-Ch system. Only as a front-end in headphone systems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back