Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jul 2, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #12,826 of 14,276
I
The watch doesn't work anymore, and I can't replace the movement because Seiko no longer has replacements for this model.
I wonder if I can replace the internals of the watch with a more modern movement. I haven't looked into it extensively, but regardless,

What you could do is go on eBay and find another Seiko with the 8223 movement that is working and have a watch shop swap out the movements. Unless it's the same dial and hands, the watch shop can also swap the dial and hands. On Seiko watches, on the back of the case, the first 4 digits is the movement number and the next 4 digits / or digit and letter combo is the case number.

There was recently a Seiko 8223-7109 that just sold on eBay for $32 about a month ago and 2 are currently for sale at $65 and $70. In this case you can simply purchase one of these, open the case, release the stem and swap the movements out along with the dials / hands. Since they have the same dial and hands as the watch you have, it's an easy swap.

I sold about 75 vintage Seiko watches in the last 6 months.... don't ask....

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #12,827 of 14,276
I can't play with you Big Boys in the watch game but I did just pick this one up and love it, TW Steel Pilot VR46:grin:

TWS Pilot VR46.JPG

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #12,828 of 14,276
What you could do is go on eBay and find another Seiko with the 8223 movement that is working and have a watch shop swap out the movements. Unless it's the same dial and hands, the watch shop can also swap the dial and hands. On Seiko watches, on the back of the case, the first 4 digits is the movement number and the next 4 digits / or digit and letter combo is the case number.

There was recently a Seiko 8223-7109 that just sold on eBay for $32 about a month ago and 2 are currently for sale at $65 and $70. In this case you can simply purchase one of these, open the case, release the stem and swap the movements out along with the dials / hands. Since they have the same dial and hands as the watch you have, it's an easy swap.

I sold about 75 vintage Seiko watches in the last 6 months.... don't ask....

Very good advice.
I contacted a place in Alaska that does the same gold bracelet/case designs, who notified me of where the watch may have come from. I then contacted Seiko customer service about getting the movement replaced, and they told me that there are no more direct replacements available from their inventory.
The next two options I have considered were:
1) Purchase an old watch with the same movement, get it replaced
2) Figure out if a NEW movement can fit into the current case.

Option #2 was based on the thought that if the watch broke again, it would be easier to replace a more modern set of guts than an older one.
I am not in a rush to get it done, but I think the easier (and cheaper) option would be getting an old Seiko on eBay and switching out the internals.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #12,829 of 14,276
This Citizen Eco-Drive is my everyday watch. I get a surprisingly large number of complements on it from women. I don't tell my wife, she got it for me for Christmas about 4 years ago.
20190702_213743.jpg

Jul 4, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #12,831 of 14,276
Nice surprise today as I wasn't expecting it to arrive until next week but it was kindly sent via next day delivery.

I found a nice deal on a two month old mint condition Certina DS Action GMT Powermatic 80

It ticked nearly all of the requirements I was looking for and came with all paper work, receipts, warranty card, boxes etc and was originally purchased by the seller from an authorised dealer who is only about 10 miles away from me which is nice.

At 43mm case size it is a few mill bigger than I would have normally considered but as I have 7.5" wrists it not an issue and actually fits quiet nicely.
IMG_20190704_113803_1[7465].jpg tt.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #12,833 of 14,276
Rossi Approves!
9d2d98464c8953f91645a93cee31fa3d--valentino-rossi.jpg

LOL, THX I knew they were a sponsor for Yamaha, Renault F1 and Karting and maybe why I like them. Race design but at prices a po-boy like me can afford!

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #12,834 of 14,276
Nice surprise today as I wasn't expecting it to arrive until next week but it was kindly sent via next day delivery.

I found a nice deal on a two month old mint condition Certina DS Action GMT Powermatic 80

It ticked nearly all of the requirements I was looking for and came with all paper work, receipts, warranty card, boxes etc and was originally purchased by the seller from an authorised dealer who is only about 10 miles away from me which is nice.

At 43mm case size it is a few mill bigger than I would have normally considered but as I have 7.5" wrists it not an issue and actually fits quiet nicely.

Great choice!! It looks great on you!!

Jul 15, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #12,839 of 14,276
Thanks! I wanted to maintain the water damaged dial and patina on the hands. Everything else restored.

You did it! I wondered whether those small bits are on the glass or dial and now I can sleep soundly again :ksc75smile:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 18, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #12,840 of 14,276
Once again not up there with you big boys but I was just gifted this beauty, Orient Titanium Auto with full sapphire crystal:grin:

Orient Titanium.JPG

Orient Titanium Auto.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back