Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Aug 18, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #12,859 of 14,276
You just cannot beat these....

20190818_120548.jpg

Aug 18, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #12,860 of 14,276
You just cannot beat these....

Love it! I used to do all the small watch repairs for a good jeweller which included batteries. Saw many such digitals over the years.

Aug 18, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #12,861 of 14,276
My other little beauty...Tag Heuer WK1213

20190818_190145.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #12,863 of 14,276
But the battery is flat... :frowning2:

Aug 22, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #12,865 of 14,276
I got an estimate on a service for my Hamilton Jazzmaster Auto Chrono today. Its nuts, one place wants over $200 more than what I paid for the watch. Shopping around, but its not looking like something I would get done.

You will run into that... To service a chronograph properly is a lot of work. It takes time to disassemble everything, clean it, and put it all back together. Many more affordable watches are cheaper to replace than service unfortunately. Even a brand like Tudor, when you send the watch for servicing, doesn't 'service' the movement, the just replace it with a new one.

Many watch movements, like the 7750 in your Jazzmaster, is mass produced by machines. Essentially, someone hits "print" at the factory and everything else is automated. Machine time is much cheaper than human time.

Aug 22, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #12,866 of 14,276
You will run into that... To service a chronograph properly is a lot of work. It takes time to disassemble everything, clean it, and put it all back together. Many more affordable watches are cheaper to replace than service unfortunately. Even a brand like Tudor, when you send the watch for servicing, doesn't 'service' the movement, the just replace it with a new one.

Many watch movements, like the 7750 in your Jazzmaster, is mass produced by machines. Essentially, someone hits "print" at the factory and everything else is automated. Machine time is much cheaper than human time.

If its still accurate I can send it to Hamilton and their price is listed at $290, much better. I figured it being a 7750 base, its modified to an H21 it would help keep the cost down, I guess not.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #12,867 of 14,276
I don't have the cash that is behind some of these scary expensive pieces, yikes, but love those watches people. So for those of us who have to make do with truly affordable watches, I offer this I believe 1971 offering from SEIKO. I think the style is dope. Clean, masculine and artistic in it's simplicity. Personally absolutely love the vibe of this thing.

I haven't figured out how to make the day date thing work yet, was busy using Brasso to polish up what was a badly scratched acrylic crystal. Love acrylic, inexpensive and easy to restore!

Reminds me of some of those funky square Oris watches

Aug 22, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #12,868 of 14,276
If its still accurate I can send it to Hamilton and their price is listed at $290, much better. I figured it being a 7750 base, its modified to an H21 it would help keep the cost down, I guess not.

What do they do for $290 "if it's still accurate"? Isn't that a bit akin to a mechanic to saying they will do a half price tune-up on your car if it is still running within spec? Like, who cares?

I know some watchmakers will just add oil to the jewels and pivots and call it a "service" versus disassemble the movement, inspecting every part for correct tolerance and damage, cleaning every part, reassemble it, re-lubricating it, measure and adjust for accuracy and finally doing a pressure test.

There is a big difference and paying the $290 may be more of a waste of money than anything.

Aug 22, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #12,869 of 14,276
What do they do for $290 "if it's still accurate"? Isn't that a bit akin to a mechanic to saying they will do a half price tune-up on your car if it is still running within spec? Like, who cares?

I know some watchmakers will just add oil to the jewels and pivots and call it a "service" versus disassemble the movement, inspecting every part for correct tolerance and damage, cleaning every part, reassemble it, re-lubricating it, measure and adjust for accuracy and finally doing a pressure test.

There is a big difference and paying the $290 may be more of a waste of money than anything.

$290 for a full service, everything they do is listed on their site. I called them today, so I will either take the watch to them or ship it, the service center is about 45 miles away. I wasn't sure if the price was still accurate, the thing they sent me was from 2017 pricing. The watch is not running and the place that has it said $725 or so for a full service which included the broken mainspring and some other part.

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-int/service-process.html

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #12,870 of 14,276
$290 for a full service, everything they do is listed on their site. I called them today, so I will either take the watch to them or ship it, the service center is about 45 miles away. I wasn't sure if the price was still accurate, the thing they sent me was from 2017 pricing. The watch is not running and the place that has it said $725 or so for a full service which included the broken mainspring and some other part.

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-int/service-process.html

I don't mean to the be "that guy" but I don't believe they do all that for $290 higher end brands don't go to that level for more money. It is cheaper and faster to replacement the movement. What make me suspicious is that your watch has to be running within spec to the eligible for that service. When you disassemble a watch and put it back together, it has to be readjusted anyway.

It can't be that they need it to be ticking (versus being accurate) as in what you sent they replace any parts needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back