Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jun 12, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #12,796 of 14,268
It comes from the back drop where the the previous questions come from.

Buying something at MSRP and flipping it the same day != smart investing. It is printing money, the vast majority of people cant do this because of what it takes at an AD to get the opportunity to buy at MSRP.

And that whole attitude is what is ruing the market for true collectors and enthusiasts.

Edit :: I may be slightly annoyed because I want my damn TT skydweller but I am not willing to lie about my intentions to my AD.

Flippers are certainly an issue, but isn't the fault of the flipper. I understand why they do it. It is easy money. I also understand the other side - someone who just has to a certain watch and is okay paying a premium, hence validating the flipper.

These prices are the fault of one type of person (the flipper or flipee(?)) they are the result of a much larger shift. Price, as the old fashion adage goes, is determined by supply and demand. Rolex still makes the same number of watches today that they did 10 years ago so supply hasn't changed which only leaves demand. Fine. Why has demand sky-rocketed? The reality is that China is a massive, fast growing economy, and that's great for the people of China. It is no secret that living conditions for some people in China are atrocious and as more equity is built in China the standard of living will rise for the people there: that is super positive. On the top side, there are more people with disposable income in China now than ever before. And there are A LOT of people in China. So that is, largely, where the new increased demand is coming from which is what is tilting the prices.

So will the "bubble" pop?

Yes. No. Maybe. And here's why. Will China stop? Sure, their economic growth will slow, start, take a step back, grow more and do all sorts of things as it develops, but long term, it will yield a net growth. China will become a first world country and they aren't going backwards. As a result, Rolex will likely increase production but it won't match the increasing demand, it will take years. Now let's consider the world a decade from now and China has leveled off a bit and Rolex has increased production. India is another emerging economy and they will start experiencing the same the increase in living standards, disposable income and a desire for the wealthier citizens for luxury watches.

The world, thankfully, is getting better and better everyday.

Does this ruin the market for "true collectors and enthusiasts"?

In my opinion, no. The AD that sold me the Sub - arguably one of the most in-demand 'hot' watches on Earth - appreciated that I am an enthusiast and trusted that I am not a flipper. I've only ever purchased one other watch from them: a steel Rolex 3 years ago and that's it. How long did I wait for my Sub? 2 hours. I built a relationship with a gentlemen that works there over the years by popping in and chatting. He called me as he had a few other Rolex watches that came in and asked if I was interested in one of them. I politely passed and said that I only was really interested in a green Sub. Two hours later, he called me back.

The point of my story, I paid retail for a very in demand watch. I'm not a high rolling VIP client. Enthusiasts still have access to what they want. And people are living better.

Jun 13, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #12,797 of 14,268
Well, after well over a month, I'm still happy with my MRG. The DLC coating is fabulous - after a few weeks of desk duties, I'd expect clasps to show some scuffing but this is still in pristine condition.

20190613_074127676_iOS.jpg

I know it's not a Patek, but I'm perfectly ok with that.

Jun 14, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #12,798 of 14,268
Here's something that's "slightly" different...

This is the Devon Tread 1E, an entirely made-in-California, belt driven "movement" running on a set of four micro-motors. It's noisy, gigantic, battery-powered, not even water resistant, and pretty much a glorified, not particularly accurate quartz watch. If you're looking for the physical embodiment of an American middle finger to the entire European watchmaking industry, look no further.

Despite its looks, on my not very large (7 1/4'') wrists the watch is quite comfortable. In quiet mode the minute-by-minute ticking is tolerable, a bit comforting even after you get used to it. I've owned Devon's watches in the past, and if you live in the US their service is absolutely beyond reproach. You do need it, as the Tread 1 and 2 have strict maintenance schedules, but you do feel absolutely respected and valued as a customer while they're at it.

It's definitely not for everyone (or even most people). I'm 6'2'' and broad-shouldered and I feel like I'm at the absolute minimum build to make a face of this size work at all. But I'm a sucker for exotic movements, and MB&F is very, very out of my price range...and I've been having a ton of fun daily driving this thing :)

PytJER2.jpg

U5QR5MP.jpg

QXsQEUX.jpg

Wow... I'm so glad you posted this.
I think I saw this watch on an Amazon series called Good Omens, and I wondered if it was a real watch... or not. I think it was that series... anyone else see this?
Thanks

Jun 14, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #12,799 of 14,268
Wow... I'm so glad you posted this.
I think I saw this watch on an Amazon series called Good Omens, and I wondered if it was a real watch... or not. I think it was that series... anyone else see this?
Thanks

It's very real. Devonworks is based in Hesperia, CA. Tourneau might be a dealer for them or you can always call their number to order one.

Also seen as the watch Tony Stark wears in Infinity wars in the central park scene (the black/yellow F version).

Jun 15, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #12,800 of 14,268
They have a cool look to them and a unique approach. It's great to see watches with alternative time displays that are very easy to read.

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #12,801 of 14,268
Here's something that's "slightly" different...

This is the Devon Tread 1E, an entirely made-in-California, belt driven "movement" running on a set of four micro-motors. It's noisy, gigantic, battery-powered, not even water resistant, and pretty much a glorified, not particularly accurate quartz watch. If you're looking for the physical embodiment of an American middle finger to the entire European watchmaking industry, look no further.

Despite its looks, on my not very large (7 1/4'') wrists the watch is quite comfortable. In quiet mode the minute-by-minute ticking is tolerable, a bit comforting even after you get used to it. I've owned Devon's watches in the past, and if you live in the US their service is absolutely beyond reproach. You do need it, as the Tread 1 and 2 have strict maintenance schedules, but you do feel absolutely respected and valued as a customer while they're at it.

It's definitely not for everyone (or even most people). I'm 6'2'' and broad-shouldered and I feel like I'm at the absolute minimum build to make a face of this size work at all. But I'm a sucker for exotic movements, and MB&F is very, very out of my price range...and I've been having a ton of fun daily driving this thing :)

PytJER2.jpg

U5QR5MP.jpg

QXsQEUX.jpg

Rotary belts with digits really are something. Pricey, but not over the top expensive.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 15, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #12,803 of 14,268
I think (99%) I saw this watch on the wrist on a lead character a new Amazon serires called Good Omens....

Yup, David Tennant wears Tread 1 in this series.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 25, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #12,804 of 14,268
Hey guys I don't have a watch at the moment and have been looking for an automatic something interesting yet inexpensive to take and enjoy on an overseas trip mainly as there will be no cell coverage where I am going so no point lugging a mobile phone around with me.

I was checking through a few of the options on my short list one of which is the SARB017 Alpinist (I will be doing a fair amount of hiking in Svalbard and then on to Iceland so seems interesting and appropriate watch) I noticed a listing on ebay at a attractive price on a little digging I found some discussion on fake Sarb017 from a few ebay sellers the give always appear to be the Seiko font on the dial not being quiet right and the S marker on the internal bezel but the most noticeable give away seems to be the sloppy placing of the little lume pips within their white square markers around the dials. On genuine Seikos I have notice the pips are all very precisely positioned within their little white squares.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Refurbis...991277&hash=item48c7833525:g:w6MAAOSwjG1dBKed

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #12,805 of 14,268
Hey guys I don't have a watch at the moment and have been looking for an automatic something interesting yet inexpensive to take and enjoy on an overseas trip mainly as there will be cell coverage where I am going so no point lugging a mobile phone around with me.

I was checking through a few of the options on my short list one of which is the SARB017 Alpinist (I will be doing a fair amount of hiking in Svalbard and then on to Iceland so seems interesting and appropriate watch) I noticed a listing on ebay at a attractive price on a little digging I found some discussion on fake Sarb017 from a few ebay sellers the give always appear to be the Seiko font on the dial not being quiet right and the S marker on the internal bezel but the most noticeable give away seems to be the sloppy placing of the little lume pips within their white square markers around the dials. On genuine Seikos I have notice the pips are all very precisely positioned within their little white squares.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Refurbis...991277&hash=item48c7833525:g:w6MAAOSwjG1dBKed

Can't go wrong with a Seiko. Creationwatches sells real Seikos, if you're looking for a good deal.

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #12,806 of 14,268
Hey guys I don't have a watch at the moment and have been looking for an automatic something interesting yet inexpensive to take and enjoy on an overseas trip mainly as there will be no cell coverage where I am going so no point lugging a mobile phone around with me.

Ebay is probably the most dangerous place on earth to buy a watch. Even ver genuine looking ones can be fake (real watch in the photo, shipped a faked watch) or, worse yet, real watches with fake parts replaced... Unless you REALLY know the product, I would steer clear of the Bay.

As Zojokkeli mentioned, going with a legitimate dealer like Creation is the way to go.

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #12,807 of 14,268
I've bought most of my watches (Submariner and Speedmaster included) on eBay and not had a problem with them (or the seller). True, you need to put some research effort in though. The good thing is the protection that PayPal and eBay gives buyers.

Jun 25, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #12,808 of 14,268
I've bought most of my watches (Submariner and Speedmaster included) on eBay and not had a problem with them (or the seller). True, you need to put some research effort in though. The good thing is the protection that PayPal and eBay gives buyers.

I would be extremely, extremely careful about buying a Sub on eBay. Sub reproductions can be so good that you will not be able to tell any difference from images, and when you have the actual watch in hand and find out that it's a rep, you could be stuck for months without your money as Paypal sorts out the issue. And you need to have the watch examined by a certified expert to verify that it's a fake, etc. Some watches simply don't have convincing fakes (skeletons, exotic materials, small-time brands) and those you can probably buy on eBay without too much concern.

A sub or speedmaster? No way I'd buy one on eBay unless it's the eBay store of a dealer I trust. I've seen Submariner reps in Hong Kong, with a small amount of genuine parts mixed in, that are so good that a Rolex AD had to open up the watch to confirm that it's a rep. No way you'd be able to tell from eBay pictures alone.

Jun 25, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #12,810 of 14,268
Well, after well over a month, I'm still happy with my MRG. The DLC coating is fabulous - after a few weeks of desk duties, I'd expect clasps to show some scuffing but this is still in pristine condition.

I know it's not a Patek, but I'm perfectly ok with that.
I am happy with both my MT-G watches.
MTGS1000BD-1
MTGB1000-1A (wish they made this with a metal strap)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back