Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Nov 20, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #12,167 of 14,276
I read someplace that the Datejust is the most perfect watch ever made. Not best made, not most costly, but all around best p e r i o d.

No offense, but that's one of the funniest things I've ever read on any forum... Not because I disagree with it, but because it's an opinion stated as a fact.

I've got some pretty perfect watches, some are inexpensive and well made, some are very expensive and well made... 'well-made' being a key factor. But they are perfect for me. Perfect for the day, the activity, the dress, the intent... etc.
Some keep perfect time. Some gain, some lose time. The ones that keep better time are more perfect than the ones that make me late or early to meetings.
Solar Atomic watches are pretty perfect in their timekeeping ability... and they never need to be wound or have their batteries changed, or need to be set. They are perfect.
My Blancpain was perfect. My Zenith's were perfect, especially the Chronomaster. But so is my Sinn and my 3 Seamasters. My Kobold is fantastically perfect when I wear it... which lately isn't too often.

But cheers to you and your perfect Rolexes for you and your father. May you wear them in the best of health. I'm honestly certain they are absolutely perfect for you. And that's what counts.

Nov 21, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #12,169 of 14,276
It's a funny thing with watch forums that Rolex is always thought of as a maker of steel sports watches - because they are the popular models on forums - and as such, their more expensive watches are neglected in charts like these.

Actually I think the forums followed decades of marketing. Don't you think by their long association with Tennis, Formula 1, and Soccer the sports watch image was an intent fostered by Rolex itself? From my little corner I've always seen the Submariner as the quintessential Rolex.

Nov 21, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #12,170 of 14,276
Actually I think the forums followed decades of marketing. Don't you think by their long association with Tennis, Formula 1, and Soccer the sports watch image was an intent fostered by Rolex itself? From my little corner I've always seen the Submariner as the quintessential Rolex.

Well, F1 is only a fairly recent association for Rolex. I still mainly associate F1 with the TAGHeuer and CAMPARI logos! As for soccer, I wasn't aware of any brand ambassadors or sponsorship concerning Rolex. Golf, on the other hand, and the Big Three (Nicklaus, Palmer, Player) were always part of the Rolex family. Roger Federer certainly features quite prominently in their marketing too, always donning the latest design just before he lifts a trophy or during a press conference.

The Submariner is certainly an iconic and highly recognised watch, but equally so are the Datejust and Day-Date - not to mention the Pepsi GMT Master. The sports models are nowhere near being the best sellers though, despite their ubiquitous popularity on the forums.

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #12,171 of 14,276
I had a TAGHeuer for a while but always regretted not going with the Submariner, strictly for the form factor--they way it looked.

------------------------------------------------------------

My T&T of transitioning from 30 yr of digital/quartz to automatic/analog. About the Seiko quartz/solar diver ordered last week--I sent it back. I'm considering a Steinhart or similar diver, or the Seiko SKX007. The SKX007 I keep reading of many dissatisfied online buyers. Not sure if the surgical-like analysis equipment is put under online, creates a realistic picture of what a consumer will actually receive in a purchase.

Has anyone else made made the transition to a watch, that needs to have its time reset on a more regular basis?

Nov 21, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #12,173 of 14,276
I had an SKX009 and its' accuracy was incredibly good. About 1 second every two days. I think the previous owner might have had it regulated to achieve this because there's no way you could expect that performance as standard - more like +-30/day.

I'm realizing that well made automatic watches bring the appreciation of craftsmanship and tradition. A +-30/day diver I wore a few days a week, I'd theoretically end up reseting maybe 2 times a week.

Nov 21, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #12,174 of 14,276
And dude, take your condensation and voice it someplace else.

Yeah @shane55 , take your condensation and go deposit small drops of water on something else...

But seriously, Shane is right, the DJ is great, but you said, "I read someplace that the Datejust is the most perfect watch ever made. Not best made, not most costly, but all around best p e r i o d." I'm sorry, but that's a silly comment for a myriad of reasons. First, you are presenting something that is purely subjective as fact. Second, it's not even your subjective opinion, you just "read it someplace". Third, there are no spaces in the word, "period". Finally, Shane was being very respectful in his post and was stating why - objectively - your statement is incorrect. Further to his point, a DateJust is NOT the prefect watch for deep diving, or for tracking multiple time zones or being used as a calculator. Me, for one, being a diving, travelling math geek, find that a DJ misses three major musts for a perfect watch: But that's me. Like others have noted, something being 'perfect' is contextual, not absolute.

You like your DateJust. Good for you. But please don't talk in absolutes about something you clearly know little about.

Nov 21, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #12,175 of 14,276
Yeah @shane55 , take your condensation and go deposit small drops of water on something else...

But seriously, Shane is right, the DJ is great, but you said, "I read someplace that the Datejust is the most perfect watch ever made. Not best made, not most costly, but all around best p e r i o d." I'm sorry, but that's a silly comment for a myriad of reasons. First, you are presenting something that is purely subjective as fact. Second, it's not even your subjective opinion, you just "read it someplace". Third, there are no spaces in the word, "period". Finally, Shane was being very respectful in his post and was stating why - objectively - your statement is incorrect. Further to his point, a DateJust is NOT the prefect watch for deep diving, or for tracking multiple time zones or being used as a calculator. Me, for one, being a diving, travelling math geek, find that a DJ misses three major musts for a perfect watch: But that's me. Like others have noted, something being 'perfect' is contextual, not absolute.

You like your DateJust. Good for you. But please don't talk in absolutes about something you clearly know little about.

I give....I did a web search to try and find the article......came up with it plus a whole lot more but no one hear needs the link. And of course deep sea diving with a datejust not a good idea. So, mea culpa, I was wrong. I will erase the posts.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #12,176 of 14,276

Oh man!!! I just can't escape it. At work I deal with condensers and condensate evaporators, and pipes that sweat... and I find it here too!!! And if I have to deal with compressors in the Headphone forum, I'm quitting... :wink:

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #12,178 of 14,276
Thoughts on a consumer ethic concerning the Amazon return policy? Careful handling for checking fit and weight is applicable I'm sure. What about setting to local time, to check time keeping qualities?

I've returned watches to Amazon, i tried to pack them as they came. Does not matter what date and time its set to. Broken?

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #12,179 of 14,276
Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 10.55.37 PM copy.png

I bought one for me and one for my dad. On sale for $179. ea. wore it yesterday and it kept a smile on my face all day. What to wear today? My dad's much aligned Rolex or my Timex? LOL

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 10.55.37 PM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 10.55.37 PM copy.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back