Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!

1. ExpatinJapan
    IMG_7638.JPG

Fully serviced and back in action!

IMG_7652.JPG

Saraguie likes this.
  2. Saraguie
    Still...sooooo cool looking! ^^^^^^

3. pigmode
    Looks like Disney, unless those aren't clouds.

4. bigfatpaulie
    They are mountains. That's in Puerto Vallarta.

5. pigmode
    ^ Its a similar latitude at least (duh).

I asked about Seiko Divers here about a year ago, and finally got around to ordering one today. Its a Seiko SNE435 PADI Special Edition. Got a good price on the Macy's Veterans Day sale *plus* $40 of Macy's Money.

6. bigfatpaulie
    Fantastic choice!! Congrats! Please share it here when it arrives.

7. pigmode
    Thanks, will do.

8. drm870
    Hello, all!

Have a question: what is considered a good sweet spot range budget-wise in terms of watches? (In other words, the equivalent of the "Mid-Fi" range in terms of headphones, which I'd consider to be $200-$400.) What are good watches in said price range?

9. cathee
    Seiko?

10. Zojokkeli
    Seiko, Citizen, Hamilton, Tissot, and Steinhart come to mind. Not sure if all fit in the price range.

11. Lemieux66
    Get a Seiko for that budget. The Seiko turtle PADI would be a good choice.

12. bigfatpaulie
    I agree with others: Seiko is really probably the best option. A Turtle is a good or something like a SARB033 if you want something a bit dressier.

As for what is "mid-fi" it will depend on who you ask but in the world of mechanical time pieces, mid-fi (in the sense of the industry as a whole) is really around $5,000-15,000 (Breitling, Omega, Rolex, etc), at least in my eyes. That doesn't mean that there aren't amazing watches in the lo-fi categories that really deliver an outstanding value (like Seiko, Longies, Nomos, Sinn, Frederique Constant, and so on). If you have an interest in mechanical watches, you want to start in there. More expensive watches don't tell time any better, they are generally more delicate and require very, very cost maintenance. Unless you're really into it, my advice is to run away :)

13. Lemieux66
    I don't agree with the above poster that you should start with the lower end brands he mentions. You should buy what you really like eg. Rolex/Omega/Breitling - there is no ladder to climb up before you get the one you want - just buy it straight away as long as you understand the service costs etc.

But again, if you just want a competant mechanical watch with some history behind it, get a Seiko. In fact, for me I'd always go Seiko unless I could afford a Rolex or other mid-level brand. I used to own several watches of various levels of cost but have simplified things and now have just one Rolex Datejust, although I'll probably add a Seiko diver as a beater/holiday watch.

14. bigfatpaulie
    My point was that buying watches can quickly get additive and costly: not that he should not buy a more expensive watch. It is a hobby that can be very hard on a wallet.

Obviously, buy whatever you want, but starting low offers less risk before venturing into more expensive watches. In reality, if you really get into the hobby, you are going to end up buying a few watches and you are going to make a lot of buying mistakes and it is best (cheapest) to make those mistake with less expensive watches. In this case the poster was asking about a $200-$400 budget. It is similar to headphones - start inexpensive and explore. Learn your preferences in sound signature, what characteristics you value and so on, then get what really fits you.

I would also not discount all other brands in this price range aside Seiko. My first automatic watch was a Tissot PR50 and it was excellent. It came with an ETA 2824 which is a tried and true workhorse that is easily serviced. The nice thing about getting a watch like that, with a 2824 or the likes, is you often end up with a watch with the same ebauche as much more expensive ones out there. Seiko, does not offer that, as they are basically all in-house and Seiko has pretty distinct movement level grades - They don't really offer a different level of finish on a 6R15. A 2824, however, can come in a very basic configuration found in some $100 watches, all the way up to a COSC spec found in things like an Omega Seamaster (2892). That is, if things like that matter to you.

Moreover, some may not care for Seiko's styling - a Turtle case or crown at 4 is not everyone's taste.

I will agree, however, that a DateJust is an all-around hard to beat offering especially considering the availability and options.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017 at 10:03 AM
    bfreedma, cathee and Lemieux66 like this.
  15. shane55
    Seiko... sure. Good bet for watches with hands. (Agreeing with Paulie).
    But don't forget that there are some very good (to great) digital watches, like G-Shocks.