Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Nov 20, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #12,151 of 14,269
alternatively.... (since @bigfatpaulie qualified mid-fi to be $5k-$15k) :sweat_smile:

sUU3ODEl.jpg

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #12,153 of 14,269
It looks like a Audemars Piguet Quantieme Perpetuel to me (Ref#185197), but it is a pretty blurry image. If it is it was made form 1990-1999 and I would not have used the same numbers to describe the industry then as I would today. Yes, used it is in that price range, sure. It is a 20+ year old watch that isn't particularly sought after or rare. A modern day AP perpetual calendar is very comfortably in the top tier price category. By your methodology, I guess I should have suggested a Rolex Submariner as in the 1960's they were around $500 retail.

It is not me that qualifies what is a mid or high tier watch - it just is what is it. See this from a few years ago (so you have to skew the numbers up):

387090223_N7wTh-X2.jpg

That's just a classification of prices. You can lump it however you want, in anyway that makes you feel good, but here is the reality of the market. Obviously it is tough to universally classify certain companies - Seiko, for example, makes watches for <$100 and Credors in the eye-watering price group as well. JLC is an odd duck too where they have traditionally offered mid-tier watches (see above) but, under Daniel Riedo, has really been pushing their prices and quality up along with new very complicated and exclusive watches.

Breitling, is moving the other direction - a Chronomat was almost the same price as a Daytona once upon a time. You also see it reflected in their prices on the second hand market. So it is a dynamic list. Keep in mind in 2005, for example, a steel Rolex DateJust had an MSRP under $5000. The equivalent watch today is over $7500. I don't know what year this chart is from but the source certainly has a good thumb on the market and are well qualified to put this together.

Finally, there really should be an acknowledgement of a tier above what is listed on this list. Can you really consider a Dufour in the same group as Jaquet Droz (if you exclude the unwearable bird repeaters)? The same goes for a Calatrava, which, despite price, really belongs in the mid-tier group with regards to movement and finishing versus a 5316P which well boils over the top of this list in every aspect. Most of the companies listed in the top bracket here start offerings in the mid bracket. What about brands that start way, way above where most logic has already been thrown out the window? (MB&F, Harry Winston, etc)

Anyway, just food for thought.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #12,154 of 14,269
It's a funny thing with watch forums that Rolex is always thought of as a maker of steel sports watches - because they are the popular models on forums - and as such, their more expensive watches are neglected in charts like these. The most commonly sold Rolex is actually the ladies Datejust in steel and gold, and they make a lot of gold and diamond watches too. The most expensive in the production range is platinum and covered in baguette diamonds and costs more than a lot of houses!

I have to agree though, Rolex is a mid-range brand in the grand scheme of things. It's just they have huge brand recognition amongst the public who often think of them as the 'best watch you can buy'.

Good spot with the AP, btw.

Nov 20, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #12,158 of 14,269
My aforementioned Datejust. It's a ref 116234 in steel with a 18k white gold fluted bezel. I chose the classic silver with baton markers dial. I tried many other dial options but none felt so right as this one. The watch is very complete being all white metals. One day I hope to have the Day-Date 118238 in all gold and a champagne baton dial. But until then this is an ideal daily wear watch for me:

Sneaky WM1A/Z1R in the background :)

Rolex Datejust 116234
hQ1b50yl.jpg

Attachments

• _20171120_214042.JPG
    _20171120_214042.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #12,161 of 14,269
i got a fit bit

Nov 20, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #12,162 of 14,269
got a movado somewhere

Nov 20, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #12,164 of 14,269
My aforementioned Datejust. It's a ref 116234 in steel with a 18k white gold fluted bezel. I chose the classic silver with baton markers dial. I tried many other dial options but none felt so right as this one. The watch is very complete being all white metals. One day I hope to have the Day-Date 118238 in all gold and a champagne baton dial. But until then this is an ideal daily wear watch for me:

Sneaky WM1A/Z1R in the background :)

41 mm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back