Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Mar 19, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #9,182 of 14,276
  It looks pretty solid... would love to have one but the price is yikes!

Starting at $349 (USD) is not a bad price at all for a fully featured watch.  If I was to get one, I would opt for the 42mm version sport watch, which is $399.  My Triple Sensor G-Shock Rangeman for reference is currently going for $435 - over $600 (USD) on fleabay.  The over $10,000 watch options are pretty expensive to most people in this world, but as long as there is a market, someone will purchase those watches as well.

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #9,183 of 14,276
I don't have much interest in the Apple watch as it currently is (or any of the current e-watches). BUT - I appreciate the direction the technology is going, and maybe, down the line - once batteries are vastly improved, and I have a better handle on how it will be useful, rather than a gimmick (or just more intrusive) I'd consider one. 

So no. Not yet anyway.

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #9,184 of 14,276
  I don't have much interest in the Apple watch as it currently is (or any of the current e-watches). BUT - I appreciate the direction the technology is going, and maybe, down the line - once batteries are vastly improved, and I have a better handle on how it will be useful, rather than a gimmick (or just more intrusive) I'd consider one. 

So no. Not yet anyway.

Thanks for your thoughts. 
normal_smile .gif

Mar 19, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #9,185 of 14,276

I'm guessing the word 'drop' would be the U.S. equivalent of the word 'bit'.

Thank you for your thoughts. 
normal_smile%20.gif

Haha.  No no, it's an inside joke (like in my actual real life outside of the internet).  Just ignore it.

But, no I am not considering a iWatch ...

...and I will tell you why
bigsmile_face.gif
...  I want to preface this with saying that I don't know much about the product - I have not read about it, or watched anything on it - but I am going to give my thoughts ANYWAYS.

First, I want to make an observation on what the market perceives as "good" and how that changes as technology adapts (especially personal technology like a cell phone).  Remember 2005?  The biggest craze in cell phones was, "the smaller the better.  I want a flip phone.  Hell, I want a phone that folds in half twice!"  Then you heard, "I can't wait until blue tooth headsets have the phone built in to them."  Then, "When will they let me implant a device in my head so I have so phone to carry at all?"

Fast forward in time and the so-called "smartphone" is everywhere.  We've moved from a 3.5cm by 6cm phone to a 6cm by 12cm phone.  The these new near-tablet sized monsters come in at 8cm by 16cm.

People felt smaller was "good" for a time.  Then "more features" became the focus.  Now, it's "bigger is better".  How did we get here?  "Progress!  That's what happened, you old fart!"  People will answer.

I understand the use of the phone has changed from making called and texting to watching movies and Instagram, so I do get the "big screen" shift, but it has been taken to extreme.  But okay, let's go with - A big screen to watch movies and see photos at the expense of ergonomics.  I can go with that.  

(As an aside, the same person that would say the size doesn't bother them are the same people that *needed* the smallest phones on the market back in the day.)

Now enter this iWatch gadget - a tiny screen.  And what does it do?  Show you the weather?  Read text messages?  Video chat?  Watch videos?  All things that can be done with your larger, already in your pocket, phone (because it does need to be liked to your iPhone for cellular access).  Not to mention that all those things would be more pleasurable on the actual phone because the screen is bigger - that is what is good, right?  So people might say, "Yeah, but then I don't even have to reach for my phone to do all that!!"  Great.  If your phone is too cumbersome, why did you buy something so unergonomic in the first place?

I see the iwatch as an excellent answer to a question that no one asked.

People might respond to something like this with comments like, of course what the market perceives as good changes with technology.  Yes, yes does.  Certainly logic should still be followed first, however.  For example, years ago everybody wanted a flat screen TV.  You had a curved TV?  Yuck.  Go flat or go home.  We've all bought new flat screen TV's.  What's next?  Introducing the new Samsung CURVED TV; because curved is better.  Really?  Since when?  I didn't get that memo, your marketing has been telling me that flat is better for the last 15 years.  What changed?  Nothing changed, except the marketing.

(Yes, I get the curve is different, but the old message was that "flat is the best" and now they's changed what is "best")

What I am trying to say just because it's new, doesn't mean it's good or worth spending hundred of dollars on.  

I, frankly,  see the iwatch as a trinket at best and a waste of money at worst.

But that's me, IMHO, YMMV, whatever whatever.  If you disagree, that's okay: no offence and call me a luddite.  I'm sure Apple will sell a whole bunch of them and make lots of money, so from that angle, it's a great product.

~~~END OF RANT~~~

All this on the day TAG Heuer, Google, and Intel Announce Swiss Smartwatch Collaboration. 
angry_face.gif

Go figure.

All the best, 

-Paul

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #9,186 of 14,276

Haha.  No no, it's an inside joke (like in my actual real life outside of the internet).  Just ignore it.

But, no I am not considering a iWatch ...

>>> Rant edited out <<<

All the best,

-Paul

Loved the rant. +1, baby!

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #9,188 of 14,276

Mr Rick I have loved the vast collection you have posted pics of. Let me say that I am sure that you have worked hard to indulge your vice but I can't help but say you are a lucky git :p

Anyhoo, none have attracted me more than this one. I really can't put my finger on it but had I had seen this in the flesh, nothing would have stopped me from purchasing it, even if it involved selling my good kidney :D

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #9,190 of 14,276

Mr Rick I have loved the vast collection you have posted pics of. Let me say that I am sure that you have worked hard to indulge your vice but I can't help but say you are a lucky git
tongue.gif

Anyhoo, none have attracted me more than this one. I really can't put my finger on it but had I had seen this in the flesh, nothing would have stopped me from purchasing it, even if it involved selling my good kidney
biggrin.gif

After all, you have 2 of 'em!!
Welcome to the dark side!  Spoken like a true watch lover 
beerchug.gif

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #9,191 of 14,276
Mar 19, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #9,192 of 14,276

Lovely!

I was thinking of getting an Autodromo --> http://www.autodromo.com/watches/prototipo-chronograph-white-dial/
Guess they kind of took the look from that one.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #9,193 of 14,276
It's not deserving of the 'watch' title. Not for the true lovers of horology.

Yup. It's not a timepiece in the way I've come to know them.

This, my friend is a timepiece that a 'true lover of horology' could appreciate.

Cheers.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #9,194 of 14,276
Me too, not so sure I could have said it so nicely!

It's not deserving of the 'watch' title. Not for the true lovers of horology. I am a user of fruit based products but will not be buying this....

I almost missed this one, but you are referring to the Apple Watch, so I do thank you for your thoughts.  
normal_smile .gif

I think it's a bit much to state it's not deserving of being called a watch.  Even if I purchase the watch, I can say that I truly love horology, as I can love horology, as well as appreciate and truly love chronometry that the Apple Watch (and other technically accurate and precise timepieces) embody as well.  This is directed towards @shane55 as well based on his prior post (the post above this one).  
normal_smile .gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #9,195 of 14,276
I think what "irks" me about those type of watches like the Apple watch is that you are still a slave of your phone if you want to really take advantage of most features. So... why bother if I'm still carrying my phone?!? But like they say down here: "Pa' los gustos, los colores..."

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back