Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Mar 20, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #9,196 of 14,276
I'm definitely interested in seeing what Tag Heuer and Breitling are going to bring to the table with their Android collaboration. I'm also expecting official iOS support to be announced at Google I/O in May. There's a good opinion piece on The Verge and I agree that Android Wear needs Apple if it's going to succeed; especially in the luxury market.

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #9,197 of 14,276
I can see how a smart watch can irk or irritate many people who do not see a need for it in the first place. If that is the case, simply do not purchase.

An Apple Watch or smart watch makes absolute sense for a person such as myself. Using a smart watch that can integrate seamlessly with my phone makes my workouts that much easier to deal with:

I use the bluetooth G-Shock watch to change tracks or increase the volume of my iPhone without me having to take off my iPhone's arm band to change the tracks. The Apple Watch would be able to do the same thing, as well as track my timed runs and hikes as well via the watch screen, being able to see it in real-time, with a flick of the wrist - something that is admittedly more difficult to do utilizing only the phone strapped to my arm instead of the smart watch. It actually makes perfect sense and makes my workouts progress even more because I will be able to see my latest times (like I used with my Garmin Watch back in the day) and then some. Tracking my actual location, heart rate and details regarding my trails that I trek as well are welcome additions and truly makes a smart watch that integrates with my phone a most welcome addition to help aid in my workouts. :bigsmile_face:

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #9,198 of 14,276
I can see how a smart watch can irk or irritate many people who do not see a need for it in the first place. If that is the case, simply do not purchase.

An Apple Watch or smart watch makes absolute sense for a person such as myself. Using a smart watch that can integrate seamlessly with my phone makes my workouts that much easier to deal with:

I use the bluetooth G-Shock watch to change tracks or increase the volume of my iPhone without me having to take off my iPhone's arm band to change the tracks. The Apple Watch would be able to do the same thing, as well as track my timed runs and hikes as well via the watch screen, being able to see it in real-time, with a flick of the wrist - something that is admittedly more difficult to do utilizing only the phone strapped to my arm instead of the smart watch. It actually makes perfect sense and makes my workouts progress even more because I will be able to see my latest times (like I used with my Garmin Watch back in the day) and then some. Tracking my actual location, heart rate and details regarding my trails that I trek as well are welcome additions and truly makes a smart watch that integrates with my phone a most welcome addition to help aid in my workouts.
bigsmile_face.gif

My username is BigFatPaulie - The usability for working out or exercising never dawned on me.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #9,199 of 14,276
My username is BigFatPaulie - The usability for working out or exercising never dawned on me.  :bigsmile_face:

There are items in this world that cater to most everyone, and an Apple or smart watch is not for you based on what I've read. No worries at all. :bigsmile_face:

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #9,200 of 14,276

My username is BigFatPaulie - The usability for working out or exercising never dawned on me.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Old world meets new world! With technology it's more than just telling time now, man I feel older every day and there must be a reason for that......................oh yeah I am
blink.gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #9,203 of 14,276

I almost missed this one, but you are referring to the Apple Watch, so I do thank you for your thoughts.  
normal_smile%20.gif

I think it's a bit much to state it's not deserving of being called a watch.  Even if I purchase the watch, I can say that I truly love horology, as I can love horology, as well as appreciate and truly love chronometry that the Apple Watch (and other technically accurate and precise timepieces) embody as well.  This is directed towards @shane55 as well based on his prior post (the post above this one).  
normal_smile%20.gif

Not to be picky...
But I never said it wasn't a watch. I said it wasn't a timepiece.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #9,204 of 14,276

Yup. It's not a timepiece in the way I've come to know them.

This, my friend is a timepiece that a 'true lover of horology' could appreciate.

Cheers.

WOW! This is beautiful! Congrats!

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 20, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #9,206 of 14,276
  WOW! This is beautiful! Congrats!

Thanks... yes it was.
Sold it a few years back. I loved it, just didn't wear it enough and wanted it to go to someone who would.
I wish I still had it. I'd be wearing it a lot now...

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #9,207 of 14,276

Not to be picky...
But I never said it wasn't a watch. I said it wasn't a timepiece.

I was not referring to statements about being a watch or timepiece at all.  I was referring to your post when you said "This, my friend is a timepiece that a 'true lover of horology' could appreciate."  My response for you was based solely on that (meaning the part where I wrote "Even if I purchase the watch...") and so on was directed towards you as well.  If you need me to clarify further, please let me know.

To me the only thing that stops me from buying a smartwatch is that it only makes sense to wear it every day. I have several watches and would hate to be tied to only one of them. 

Now this is a real concern.  I would always think that the smartwatch is technically 'better' than any of my other watches, so I would feel slightly odd wearing the other watches, when I knew I had something better that was not on my wrist.  But then I thought: "I already own Bluetooth smartwatches, and I still wear my other watches", so my thinking is even if I was to purchase a great smartwatch, it would get rotated with my other watches, even though I may wear it more often than my other watches.  Since I would wear it more for workouts/traveling, it would just be another watch (albeit a technically marveled watch) to me.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #9,208 of 14,276

I was not referring to statements about being a watch or timepiece at all.  I was referring to your post when you said "This, my friend is a timepiece that a 'true lover of horology' could appreciate."  My response for you was based solely on that (meaning the part where I wrote "Even if I purchase the watch...") and so on was directed towards you as well.  If you need me to clarify further, please let me know.

Understood... mostly.
But it was not implied (nor was it meant) that a true lover of horology could not also appreciate an Apple Watch... for what it is.

You did say this "I think it's a bit much to state it's not deserving of being called a watch." And it is that which I responded to (assuming it was meant for me...). And only that. I made a simple statement. "I never said it wasn't a watch".

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #9,210 of 14,276

Understood... mostly.
But it was not implied (nor was it meant) that a true lover of horology could not also appreciate an Apple Watch... for what it is.

You did say this "I think it's a bit much to state it's not deserving of being called a watch." And it is that which I responded to (assuming it was meant for me...). And only that. I made a simple statement. "I never said it wasn't a watch".

Glad to know that you understand, but if you want further clarification, please let me know.

I definitely took your statement as "a true lover of horology could not also appreciate an Apple Watch" as a contentious knock - I do not know how it was not implied nor meant since it was straight-forwardly written (at least that's what it looked like to me).

The horology response was most definitely for you as well, and did not have an issue at all when you said "It's not a timepiece in the way I've come to know them."  But stating or insinuating that a person like myself is not a true lover of horology (based on your post) would admittedly perturb me.  I suppose this the way some people feel and they are more than welcome to express their feelings.  I will express how I feel as well, though.

No worries though.  
bigsmile_face.gif

On another note, bought this watch yesterday:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back