Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Sep 3, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #7,966 of 14,274
  True, every dollar saved is money saved. How do you recognize counterfeit watches? From pictures?

Also, I "accidently" just happened to order just one tiny piece of G-Shock to add to the list of the ones I'm waiting for:

Next month (I really, really order more watches this pay month) I'd like to order a nice divers watch, just because they look so darned good. I can't say I dive a lot (nothing), but man do they look spectacular when done right. Something like the Seiko Black Monster... 

I can recognize a counterfeit G-Shock immediately through pictures, but the BAPE versions are much tougher to impossible to find out until you see it in person, because the legitimate BAPEs already look counterfeit to me.  Meaning, do not solely go by the pictures that are shown because they can just be posted from other websites.

The best way in my opinion to find out if you are working with a counterfeit dealer is:

1.  Ask questions if you have any concerns.
2.  Request a new picture or pictures of the watch or item.  Use the properties (PC) and Mac equivalent to look at EXIF data if you can, to make sure they took the picture(s) they sent you recently.
3.  If all else fails, you can request a refund, especially if you purchased the watch or item through PayPal.

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #7,967 of 14,274
Hey all,

Found this this thread via Wokei's siggy

Thought I'd pop in and say hi to everyone. So hi
biggrin.gif

Pic in spoiler = Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Titanium AKA "Madcow" . Pic was taken 2 - 3 ago btw :p

Sep 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #7,971 of 14,274
  Do people buy watches as a fashion statement or is it to tell time ? I ask this because it seems everyone looks at their cellphone for the time. 

Both.
I need it for looking at the time but I also want it to look good, or cool, etc.
I usually don't use my cell to look for the time UNLESS it's in the dark and the watch doesn't have tritium tubes nor backlight (i.e. G-shock).

Sep 4, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #7,972 of 14,274
Do people buy watches as a fashion statement or is it to tell time ? I ask this because it seems everyone looks at their cellphone for the time. 

For me, it's both. I sometimes like to use the watch as a highlight of what I'm wearing as well (as I own enough colors of G-Shocks/watches to do so). I am aware that a lot of kids nowadays do not even wear a watch, and that's great. With that said, I still see kids with all types of watches on, so even though some kids don't wear them anymore, there are still enough kids and people as a whole purchasing watches (at least G-Shocks) so it is still fiscally relevant and profitable for companies to release new models. Also, the introduction of smartphone watches will bring in a new generation of technical watch aficionados.

Sep 4, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #7,973 of 14,274
For me...me still look at me watch...force of habit...

I'm force of habit as well however at 58 years old a watch was almost like a right of passage because when I was a boy one of the big gifts that said you were turning into a young man was a nice watch from your parents. I always have my iPhone on me but when I want the time I automatically turn that wrist over
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #7,974 of 14,274
That answered my question. I have a couple of friends who are big into watches and they tell me about theirs and their passion makes me want to get one. Then I think about it and realize I'd never use it. My force of habit is to grab my phone and check the time that way. 

If I were to get a watch it would have to be over the top and just look really cool, sorta like this.

Sep 4, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #7,975 of 14,274
That answered my question. I have a couple of friends who are big into watches and they tell me about theirs and their passion makes me want to get one. Then I think about it and realize I'd never use it. My force of habit is to grab my phone and check the time that way. 

If I were to get a watch it would have to be over the top and just look really cool, sorta like this.

Intriguing. I also see Ferrari on the bottom of the watch. Also intriguing. The watch looks like the analog equivalent of The One watches. Take a look, you may like the unique designs: http://www.01theone.com/

Sep 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #7,976 of 14,274
After my last job, I have a slight, but hard-to-shift loathing of the telephone. Weird fringe-music obsessives mithering into your ear can put you off the technology, for some odd reason... So I only carry my mobile phone when I really need to.

I don't shell out much on watches, and all but one of my very small collection are quartz mech. But with decent quartz mechanisms being cheaper, many watch companies are free to indulge in creative styling and there's some great-looking and imaginative stuff out there for not a huge outlay.

Other people buy 'heirloom' watches, which I look at and covet, but I see the ones I buy as more like costume jewellery with a functional aspect. I have a couple of Skagens, a Daniel Wellington with NATO strap and a vintage-look Aeromatic. Nice-looking units all, but not remotely collectable.

Sep 4, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #7,977 of 14,274

For me, it is a resounding neither.  I don't care about making a fashion statement and I don't need a $15,000 watch to tell, a $30 Timex will do a much better job.

Buying a luxury watch is lot like buying a piece of art.  Do you buy it because it makes your wall less bland?  Not really.  You buy it because it says something to you.  It moves you.  It stirs an emotion in you.  

For me, watches are the ultimate expression of the human hand.  A fine watch combines science, design, art and craftsmanship in a package that I take with me.  They are at the cutting edge of mechanical miniaturization.  

I guess what I am saying is, if you are buying a Patek to tell time, you've miss the point.

Sep 4, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #7,978 of 14,274

For me, it is a resounding neither.  I don't care about making a fashion statement and I don't need a $15,000 watch to tell, a $30 Timex will do a much better job.

Buying a luxury watch is lot like buying a piece of art.  Do you buy it because it makes your wall less bland?  Not really.  You buy it because it says something to you.  It moves you.  It stirs an emotion in you.  

For me, watches are the ultimate expression of the human hand.  A fine watch combines science, design, art and craftsmanship in a package that I take with me.  They are at the cutting edge of mechanical miniaturization.  

I guess what I am saying is, if you are buying a Patek to tell time, you've miss the point.

So in other words I just don't get it. I see a watch and I think obsolete and asymmetric. I guess to each their own. I appreciate all the responses to my question.  

Sep 4, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #7,979 of 14,274

So in other words I just don't get it. I see a watch and I think obsolete and asymmetric. I guess to each their own. I appreciate all the responses to my question.  

If that's the way you feel then yes.  And that's okay.  I love scotch - other people think it tastes like jet fuel.  Different strokes for different folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back