Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Sep 4, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #7,981 of 14,274
So in other words I just don't get it. I see a watch and I think obsolete and asymmetric. I guess to each their own. I appreciate all the responses to my question.  

Obsolescence is in the eye of the beholder. As I said before, the introduction of smartphone watches (smartwatches) will entice a new generation of adopters.

Asymmetric? Very true. This is why I have worn watches on both wrists at the same time a few times in my life. Definitely makes everything symmetrical! :wink:

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #7,982 of 14,274

Scotch is delicious so you'd be right sir 
L3000.gif

Clynelish? Very nice, as is its half-brother Brora, if they still make it.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #7,983 of 14,274
For me, it is a resounding neither.  I don't care about making a fashion statement and I don't need a $15,000 watch to tell, a $30 Timex will do a much better job.

Buying a luxury watch is lot like buying a piece of art.  Do you buy it because it makes your wall less bland?  Not really.  You buy it because it says something to you.  It moves you.  It stirs an emotion in you.  

For me, watches are the ultimate expression of the human hand.  A fine watch combines science, design, art and craftsmanship in a package that I take with me.  They are at the cutting edge of mechanical miniaturization.  

I guess what I am saying is, if you are buying a Patek to tell time, you've miss the point.

I agree with a lot of this. But I absolutely hate pulling my phone out of my pocket simply to check time. I wear a watch all of the time because my habit is to check my wrist even when it's naked. It's an annoying feeling to pull my phone out after having been denied the time from my wrist.

I too feel watches should speak to you. I don't buy anything that doesn't elicit some emotion from me. If it's too complicated, poorly designed or just plain ugly it will never be on my wrist.

There's a balance between simplicity and functionality in a watch. I love plain faced watches but they can't be expressionless. I also love chronograph watches as long as they add something and don't look out if place. A simple date window can do the job of month/day chrono but sometimes that style is enough to call for me to buy a specific watch.

A watch is art, no doubt about that. If you're buying it just for the "bling" factor then you're doing it wrong. It doesn't need to be flashy but it needs to pull your strings just enough.

[edit] Call me old fashioned on this, but I don't like digital readouts on my watches unless it's for a connected watch. The connected and "smart" watches that I like are either concepts or they aren't yet released. I love a good analog faced watch. I can glance quickly at the hands and know the time, no reading involved.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #7,984 of 14,274
Clynelish is the rosetta stone of whiskey. Ppl who disliked whiskey liked it. Super smooth and packs an alcoholic punch. You can sip it and begin to feel good in no time. It also the primary flavor in jw gold

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #7,985 of 14,274
I had a fake rolex my friens got me from iraq while he was overseas in the military and i loved that watch because a friend got it for me. We called it a folex and for $15 best fake bling watch ever.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #7,986 of 14,274
For motorcycle enthusiasts who are very wealthy. This uses motorcycle transmission theory. 

I saw this on a Science Channel show, then I was in Westime on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills and saw it in the real world.

An incredible feat (sing with me, "The wheels on the watch go round and round…):

Sep 4, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #7,987 of 14,274
This ain't no smartphone. 

…or…a big reason for the loving the hobby...

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #7,988 of 14,274
I'm force of habit as well however at 58 years old a watch was almost like a right of passage because when I was a boy one of the big gifts that said you were turning into a young man was a nice watch from your parents. I always have my iPhone on me but when I want the time I automatically turn that wrist over:wink:  

Olskool ...getting a watch as kid means joining the grown up ....telling time will always be watch first ....

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #7,989 of 14,274
  For motorcycle enthusiasts who are very wealthy. This uses motorcycle transmission theory. 

I saw this on a Science Channel show, then I was in Westime on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills and saw it in the real world.

An incredible feat (sing with me, "The wheels on the watch go round and round…):

That watch I would wear on special nights. The ticking I think would be too much for all the time but would be a good conversation piece. You can physically see the function and how each part works together. On the rolex video above you see gears moving but it doesn't feel connected like the watch above. 

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #7,990 of 14,274
Sep 5, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #7,992 of 14,274
I had a fake rolex my friens got me from iraq while he was overseas in the military and i loved that watch because a friend got it for me. We called it a folex and for $15 best fake bling watch ever.

-I used to have an über-fake Datejust - what won me over was not the fact that the seller (A street vendor in Surabaya, Indonesia) assured me it was a "Genuine fake, Sir, best quality" buy rather that the logo on the dial spelled 'Roleks'.

Whether it was to avoid copyright infringement claims or because of poor quality control, I don't know - but 'Roleks' it said, and I loved that piece of cheap fakery to bits...

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #7,993 of 14,274
-I used to have an über-fake Datejust - what won me over was not the fact that the seller (A street vendor in Surabaya, Indonesia) assured me it was a "Genuine fake, Sir, best quality" buy rather that the logo on the dial spelled 'Roleks'.

Whether it was to avoid copyright infringement claims or because of poor quality control, I don't know - but 'Roleks' it said, and I loved that piece of cheap fakery to bits...

That's awesome. What made my folex even better was the charging mechanism worked. If you didn't put it on a tumbler it would lose the time. You could shake the watch and it made that little rattle noise and the time would work again. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #7,994 of 14,274
  This ain't no smartphone. 

…or…a big reason for the loving the hobby...

Two awesome clips Immt, also why Omega and Rolex are two of the finest manufacturers producing some of the best available in timepieces
bigsmile_face.gif
 I'm also with you and Alex on watch over a smartphone anytime, like Alex I must be drawn to a watch or have that visceral connection
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back