Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Aug 31, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #7,937 of 14,283
Thanks for the tips so far.

I guess if a Parker 51 is a great under-$100 deal, then I'd say a good budget watch deal would be under $1000? (Or, better yet, under $500).

Everybody's budget is different. A person may want to spend up to a certain amount (for example $50) and call it a budget watch, whereas another person may have more money to put towards purchasing a more expensive watch and may not have a defined an ending 'budget' price. Even though I have multiple watches (posted on this thread), it doesn't mean I would be willing to automatically spend more on each watch, thus raising my budget limits in essence. I would go out on a limb (not going that far out) and say that $1,000 or $500 would not be seen as the budget limit on a watch for most people in this world. Not even $300. It would be more than likely around $30-$60. Some people want a great watch for around that price. And of course there are others who don't mind spending way more than that. Those people probably wouldn't call their watches budget though. :wink:

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #7,938 of 14,283
Everybody's budget is different. A person may want to spend up to a certain amount (for example $50) and call it a budget watch, whereas another person may have more money to put towards purchasing a more expensive watch and may not have a defined an ending 'budget' price. Even though I have multiple watches (posted on this thread), it doesn't mean I would be willing to automatically spend more on each watch, thus raising my budget limits in essence. I would go out on a limb (not going that far out) and say that $1,000 or $500 would not be seen as the budget limit on a watch for most people in this world. Not even $300. It would be more than likely around $30-$60. Some people want a great watch for around that price. And of course there are others who don't mind spending way more than that. Those people probably wouldn't call their watches budget though.
wink.gif

Well said and it's the same thing with headphones. Few people comfortably hover above $150 for a pair of cans, while almost all of us head-fiers have several. When you're passionate about something, your views become a bit skewed, affecting your budget and so on.

Awaiting the arrival of these:

It was time to expand my G-Shock library. Only one or two G-Shocks left to purchase this year.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #7,939 of 14,283
  Well said and it's the same thing with headphones. Few people comfortably hover above $150 for a pair of cans, while almost all of us head-fiers have several. When you're passionate about something, your views become a bit skewed, affecting your budget and so on.

Awaiting the arrival of these:

It was time to expand my G-Shock library. Only one or two G-Shocks left to purchase this year.

Thanks, and most definitely.  

Those are lovely G-Shocks.  I may create a G-Shock thread very soon on Head-Fi since I haven't seen any.  I love G-Shocks (posted in this thread before, but didn't seem to get much love).  I like the Aviator (the third one) the best if I had to choose one of those three.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #7,940 of 14,283
Yeah, the aviator is one sexy beast. It has a compass and thermometer, and it glows in neon at night LOL

Too bad it's not tough solar or multiband 6, but I think I'll survive. None of other watches have automatic adjustment except for the Pebble and the Garmin Fenix (my fav watch at this moment). I'm quite used to having to adjust the time. I usually have a go at it whenever I change the watch on my wrist.

By the way, my Garmin Fenix:

It's really a beast.

Sep 1, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #7,941 of 14,283
  Yeah, the aviator is one sexy beast. It has a compass and thermometer, and it glows in neon at night LOL

Too bad it's not tough solar or multiband 6, but I think I'll survive. None of other watches have automatic adjustment except for the Pebble and the Garmin Fenix (my fav watch at this moment). I'm quite used to having to adjust the time. I usually have a go at it whenever I change the watch on my wrist.

By the way, my Garmin Fenix:

It's really a beast.

Very nice Garmin!  Not sure if this ‘Men In Rescue Red' Rangeman (Triple Sensor, Multi Band 6, etc.) is coming to the states, but if it does, I may just get it:

Sep 1, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #7,942 of 14,283
Yeah the garmin is gps, abc and has gobs of other functionality. It's no G-Shock though, so I wouldn't want to drop it.

That's a good looking G-Shock. Is it a japanese version?

Sep 1, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #7,943 of 14,283
Yeah the garmin is gps, abc and has gobs of other functionality. It's no G-Shock though, so I wouldn't want to drop it.

That's a good looking G-Shock. Is it a japanese version?

I actually have a Garmin watch as well (Garmin Forerunner 305), that I only wore a few times to help me in my run (I now just use hiking apps or iPhone's stopwatch).  It's in a box somewhere, and definitely not for the faint of heart:

Yeah, the G-Shock posted above is the Japanese version.  You know it is because it says "CARBON FIBER" on the band, as they aren't sold in U.S. stores like Macys, Nordstroms, Bloomingdales, etc.  I usually wait until the U.S. versions come to the U.S. so I can get them for cheaper and an additional discount (various ways), and if they aren't sent over here, I usually don't buy them as the markup can be 2 or 3 times the amount the watch would be in the states.

Sep 1, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #7,944 of 14,283
I know that one! I was eyeing the successor, 310 XT (?), before deciding to go with the Fenix instead. It was supposed to be for running, nothing else, although I'm using the Fenix as my everyday watch more and more. Since it can show iOS notifications, it's pretty neat that I get my SMS, mails, calls and so on on it, just like the Pebble. Oh well, I'm not entirely dependant on it and I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new family members!

Right, yeah, I've come to think that watches for the most part aren't any cheaper in Japan than in EU or US. Personally I buy my watches from Amazon, unless I really suspect fakes (if it's too good to be true...) in which case I think it's worth paying a little bit more and buy from a serious retailer. Anyway, I hope that Casio comes to US or EU as well.

Sep 1, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #7,945 of 14,283
  I know that one! I was eyeing the successor, 310 XT (?), before deciding to go with the Fenix instead. It was supposed to be for running, nothing else, although I'm using the Fenix as my everyday watch more and more. Since it can show iOS notifications, it's pretty neat that I get my SMS, mails, calls and so on on it, just like the Pebble. Oh well, I'm not entirely dependant on it and I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new family members!

Right, yeah, I've come to think that watches for the most part aren't any cheaper in Japan than in EU or US. Personally I buy my watches from Amazon, unless I really suspect fakes (if it's too good to be true...) in which case I think it's worth paying a little bit more and buy from a serious retailer. Anyway, I hope that Casio comes to US or EU as well.

I do have an electric blue G-Shock that is the Second Gen Bluetooth, so I can control my iPhone 5 with it, as I can get notifications when I get emails, link loss alert, music control functions, iPhone sync time, and lots of other little features.  Pretty cool stuff.  The next Gen Bluetooth G-Shock (already out in Japan) can do even more functions.

As for purchasing them, I get the ones that I can't buy at brick and mortar stores on discount, or if they are cheaper online on eBay.  I know how to spot fakes, and I always pick a known (and lot of positives) seller.  Never been duped "knock on wood".  The craziest purchase was when I purchased a crazy colors watch that was going for $1,000 on eBay, but it lowered when they sold a newer batch in Malaysia... well the one I got came to me from Vietnam.  Scary stuff, but totally legit!

Sep 1, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #7,946 of 14,283
Interesting that Garmin uses the name "Fenix" and not "Phoenix" as a model name.

Fenix is a manufacturer of Grade A flashlights (I own 4 different types…go Flashlight-Fi!)

Sep 1, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #7,947 of 14,283
Guys,

I am thinkin of getting a watch for everyday use at the office. I have a Speedy Pro, a dress Maurice Lacroix and a Tissot T-touch Expert, but want something casual in between T-Touch and the other watches. i have found a nice looking Tissot PR 516 GL Automatic.

What do you think of this watch?

Sep 1, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #7,948 of 14,283
Guys,

I am thinkin of getting a watch for everyday use at the office. I have a Speedy Pro, a dress Maurice Lacroix and a Tissot T-touch Expert (...)

-My response may be biased by the fact that I've had a long and lasting love affair with the Speedmaster in its various incarnations, but IMHO there's hardly a watch as versatile as the Speedy Pro out there - whether you are going to the moon or to the opera, it looks just right.

That being said, that Tissot does a lovely job of showcasing what was great about '70s design without being over the top; if I were in the market for a casual auto now, this one would make the short list. :)

Sep 1, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #7,949 of 14,283

The LG G Watch R, probably my current favorite smart watch (that will actually look close to the renders). The Kairos Hybrid watch renders were absolutely beautiful but it's a shame the watch won't end up being as nice as they've shown in the video clips. I'm hoping that Apple's offering is truly jaw dropping or I may end up trying to get one of these LG watches to work properly with iOS.

Sep 1, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #7,950 of 14,283

The LG G Watch R, probably my current favorite smart watch (that will actually look close to the renders). The Kairos Hybrid watch renders were absolutely beautiful but it's a shame the watch won't end up being as nice as they've shown in the video clips. I'm hoping that Apple's offering is truly jaw dropping or I may end up trying to get one of these LG watches to work properly with iOS.

Upcoming Smartwatches of good quality are the only reson I have not bought another watch yet. Hoping to see something nice from LG R, Asus Zenwatch and Moto 360.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back