Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Aug 1, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #7,907 of 14,285
  this is my basic unit, was a gift from my friends - Tissot Classic Dream

I wish I had friends like that. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #7,909 of 14,285
Haven't added a watch to my nice collection in a while.

Got this thanks to an idiot that T-Boned my wife 3 years ago. Her pain, my gain! (Sorry..not funny). She's good now.

Casio G-Shock GW-A1100 Aviation Series. Main model comes with green accents. I paid a little extra to get the red highlights (color in less places than the green model).

Compass, Atomic Clock, Solar battery power, 660' water resistance, along with world time, countdown timer and stopwatch with flyback mode.
Looks heavy but is, in fact one of the lightest watches I own.

I'm extremely happy with this one. 

Aug 2, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #7,910 of 14,285
Haven't added a watch to my nice collection in a while.

Got this thanks to an idiot that T-Boned my wife 3 years ago. Her pain, my gain! (Sorry..not funny). She's good now.

Casio G-Shock GW-A1100 Aviation Series. Main model comes with green accents. I paid a little extra to get the red highlights (color in less places than the green model).

Compass, Atomic Clock, Solar battery power, 660' water resistance, along with world time, countdown timer and stopwatch with flyback mode.
Looks heavy but is, in fact one of the lightest watches I own.

I'm extremely happy with this one. 

Very nice, I was trying this on a couple of months ago, it felt too big on my wrist.

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #7,911 of 14,285

Definitely big (55mm). Made for the Michael Westens of the world, not the Sheldons 
tongue.gif

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #7,914 of 14,285

There are a lot of people that look down their noses at Quartz watch because they are less "romantic" or they don't "have a soul".

But that's all it is: a romantic idea.

I agree with this sentiment completely, so much that it hurts. There's a level of intimacy I have with my mechanical watches that I don't feel for quartz watches. I've owned a small handful of quartz Omegas and accutrons over the past few years and ended up selling the lot. To each his own I suppose, but let's just say I won't be spending evenings watching the sunset with a bottle of wine and a microfiber polishing any of my remaining quartz watches. 
wink_face.gif

EVEN ROLEX AND PATEK MADE QUARTZ IN THE 80'S!!

But a cheap Seiko 5 auto/mechanical will not keep time very well, for ~$70. 

Perhaps I came off a bit harsh on quartz watches, but this debate is fruitless as tube v. solid state. You either like one, the other or both - and the beauty of it is that neither are poor enough to completely disregard and each have their own advantages and personal characteristics. 

Now, I've owned a few Seiko 5s in the past and I do disagree with that statement. The faces on them are a bit small and if I remember correctly, did not properly tick along the second markings, but can be as accurate as my Omega Speedmaster. The model I had switched through the day in Portuguese and English and was a nice cheapo keeper. How accurate these pieces are depends on how well they were/are maintained and this includes regular servicing from a proper watchmaker. 

Now, I'm not particularly a fan of Rolex or Patek, but I know for sure Omega used ETA sourced movements during the late 70s and 80s to offset costs and the quartz watches that were introduced around relatively after were not held in as a high regard as the in house movements from the 60s-on-back. The contraire is arguable, so I'll just sink back into my basement with my black plated, triple mica tubes. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #7,916 of 14,285
Aug 12, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #7,919 of 14,285
My humble collection...

Rolex White Gold Day-Date w/  Mother of Pearl dial and diamond markers (for when I need to be a grown-up. 

My everyday wear... Omega Seasmaster 300 Pro Chrono

And my fun watch. Seiko "Orange Monster" on NATO strap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back