WAR OF THE PORTABLE HEADSETS (100-200 range) NO HOLDS BAR!!!!
Nov 29, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #17 of 45
Quote:
seems like m50 is going to win this...for commuting...I doubt I would wear it...

If you doubt that you would wear it, then just get a headphone that you *would* want to wear...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #18 of 45
There's only one king of the portable cans, and that is the HD25-1
No other headphone offers the same combination of durability, sound quality, and lightweight/compact design

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #19 of 45
M50's are, IMO, Barely, Barely, Barely, portable phones. Theyre studio phones and are good for listening at home, but because of the cord length and the bulkiness of them, they're hard to use as portables unless you have good soldering experience and can solder on a shorter cable.

The TMA-1's have been getting rave reviews as being better than the HD-25's though, and they're portable. Only reason they aren't getting many votes, is because they're generally new.

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #21 of 45
I keep hearing the same thing with the denon 1100....

but new....

They say it's the best $200 headsets around. (but you can get it for 150) 

bass is suppose to be beats like but not muddy....

decisions, decisions....

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #22 of 45
I dont own any portable headphones besides the HD25, but these little phones are indestructible. Im not afraid taking them outside, drop them on the floor, play soccer with them, use them in the rain, etc etc. They still look like new even after all this abuse. They sound very good too, and nice isolation.

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #24 of 45

Quote:
I don't own any portable headphones besides the HD25, but these little phones are indestructible. I'm not afraid taking them outside, drop them on the floor, play soccer with them, use them in the rain, etc etc. They still look like new even after all this abuse. They sound very good too, and nice isolation.

Agreed, I used to lurk these forums before deciding to finally get myself some good phones, and I always heard the HD-25's were the best portable you could get. But after leaving for a few months and coming back, the AIAIAI TMA-1's seem to be starting to take the HD-25's place.

FWIR, People who have both say that the TMA-1 is better for listening with warmer highs, strong bass, good extension, and being balanced in general, and the HD-25's are good for DJ's and during exercises because of the extra clamping force. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #25 of 45

Quote:
I hear the hd and tma's are on the ears, not cupping it....

I feel like cupping feels better no? 

It all depends. before I got interested in high end audio, Skullcandy Lowriders were my first over-the-head headphones. They were on ear, and I didn't mind them.

I tried out the Audio Technica ATH-M50's at my friends the other day, They go around your ears, but they get rather hot after an hour or two. It's a common problem with closed over ear phones. Comfort wise, the M50's aren't bad, although their clamping force along with the pleather pads aren't the best. I've been hearing good things about the TMA-1's, because apparently their pads are really comfortable.

In the end, it's your choice.

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #29 of 45
I'd like to hear more about the TMA-1's. I'm looking to get new portables in the near future. How's the bass on them? I ask because my M50's left me wanting more.

Anyway, my roommate was one of the winners of headroom's denon D1100 giveaway, so I can give a comparison. I haven't listened to them that much, and they haven't been burned in yet. So without burn in, the D1100's have more forward mids, the treble is more laid back, and the bass is fuller. The only thing is it doesn't isolate too well. The M50's bass is very tight and clean, but its a bit too quite for my tastes. It does have smoother extension, but the D1100 have more mid to upper bass. The D1100's are a nice portable solution. They look nice too, but the elbows look kinda dumb since they stick out so far.

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #30 of 45
Look here for more info on them: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/506129/aiaiai-tma-1

What I gather (I haven't ordered mine yet) - Is that they are better all-around than the HD-25's, Deeper bass, punchier too, good, smooth extention, as well as forward, warm mids, and a very slightly rolled off treble. They do good with hot songs, which are high in the treble, and they have great bass to match. The isolation is apparently just a bit better than the HD-25's, and the style speaks for themselves. I'm getting it as a portable/@home phone, so if that is what you want, I'm sure this will fit you too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back