Want a loan headphone
Jul 10, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #31 of 47
Instead of getting loaners, you could always buy used phones on the forum and if you don't like them, resell them until you find something you like... you won't be losing too much money.  Another option would be to go to a local shop to sample the phones.  

Jul 10, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #32 of 47
Oookay, lemme get this straight. Never mind the loaner headphone, but you want to flip your D5000 that you got for $350 (and when I said "woah" you had a snarky "What? Is that too much money for you?" response, probably just taking that the wrong way though) for $500 or so in a few months after magically turning them into D7000s with different cups or do you actually have such a hybrid?

And how the heck does a 14 year old get an Eartube and a Rudi amp?

No offense intended, but this just seems kind of shady. I'd like to be wrong and find out you're a pretty cool kid though.

Carry on...

Jul 10, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #33 of 47
-Being in japan sounds like a bonus from what I`ve read in various threads,

Over here the major electronics shops have all their Headphones, IEMs and earbuds on Display for you to try, either they have music playing through an amp or you just plug straight into your ipod etc.
I can try all sorts of headphones in store for hours.

Jul 11, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #37 of 47
Nothing wrong with the audio obsession, but at your age it seems like there's a lot more interesting things to be doing than obsessing about sound. And you do seem a little obsessed for a 14 year old...no offense intended. Maybe get yourself a girlfriend and you'll have much more interesting things to do with your time!
Quote:
A rich boy would be getting his money from his parents. Since his parents disprove of this hobby so much that they'd refuse to drive him to a meet, this seems unlikely. I'm even more curious as to why a 14 year old would want $1400 headphones. If I was 14 with that kind of dough, I'd be using it to chase girls....just saying 
regular_smile%20.gif

edit: just saw your response cifani, and I think it's admirable that you're working and saving your own money for your car and hobbies at the age of 14, as opposed to kids (like me) who just got everything handed to them.

Jul 11, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #38 of 47
Tell ya what,sell your D5000/7000 or whatever it is (if it even exists) - send me the $500 you're asking (send cash only and to the PO box I recently setup), and then I'll loan you all my equipment (thousands of dollars worth) - good deal eh.

Jul 11, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #39 of 47
I'll just say it now. "Sorry about your wallet!" Not right now, but when you have a steady income in the future. Also... make sure you get a girlfriend that won't mind you spending a bomb on hifi equipment. She has to be an audiophile too you know! With the power of combined incomes from two audiophiles...
evil_smiley.gif
 you'll start spending hundreds of dollars on cables and power conditioners before you know it. What diminishing returns? 
tongue.gif

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #40 of 47
so for a buck I can borrow your LCD-2?

Quote:
Tell ya what,sell your D5000/7000 or whatever it is (if it even exists) - send me the $500 you're asking (send cash only and to the PO box I recently setup), and then I'll loan you all my equipment (thousands of dollars worth) - good deal eh.

Jul 11, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #41 of 47

Quote:
so for a buck I can borrow your LCD-2?

Sure - it's a deal if you loan me your RS1 and throw in a couple of grand as a loaner.  Just let me know and I'll send you my PayPal address fort he cash loan.

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #43 of 47
Well last year when I was 14, I was planning on saving up for an O2/Blue Hawaii setup (well then again, I expected to have enough money in my senior year of high school). And had a girlfriend.
biggrin.gif
If you have a goal, you can achieve it with some work.

The only thing I feel is shady is the amps he has for sale. I mean it's a different story if it's his dad's Eartube or something, but the OP was like 8 when it was released... And why wouldn't he have the money to buy a nice headphone if he has an expensive amp. Or two at that. His age hardly worries me. Like I posted in another thread (just copied and pasted), there are actually a lot of teenages here. Umm, from the top of my head, I'm 15, benaiir is 15, Stang is 15, violinvirtuoso is 13-14 I think?, fraseyboy is 17 or 18, logwed is 17, MaoDi is 17 (?), revolink is 18, and quite a few more. Hell, Stang has headphone gear most people here would envy. MaoDi...yeah I absolutely envy his position in the audio world (he reviews--or at least reviewed--mid tier iems and customs). It just depends on our priorities. Teenagers actually have a really good opportunity to get nice stuff if they want to. Our parents pay for food and housing, so that's a nice convenience. I don't game like most teenagers and have a job, so that's nice chunk of money saved up for this hobby.

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #44 of 47

Yeah I am THRILLED that there are teenagers on head-fi.  Truly.  It gives me hope for high-end audio.

I am 43.  But I got my first amp ( a Heathkit I built with my Dad) when I was 11.  By 12 I had my first component stereo system.  By age 14, I had upgraded the speakers and the turntable.  And I am here to tell you that stereo was a total chick magnet
biggrin.gif
  Of course when I was a teenager, there was no Internet, no home computers, and only a very few people I knew had the first Atari game consoles.  We had one 19" color TV, no cable (most people didn't have cable).  So the stereo was IT, man.

Now, there are a lot of electronics vying for teenagers' money and time.  I personally think that there are those who are into good sound are something we old farts should encourage.

When I made my first post in this thread I had no idea the OP was 14.  Knowing that now, if he lived in Chicago, and very importantly assuming his Parents were completely on board with the idea, I would be happy to meet him somewhere with an amp and my headphones to try.  I'll bring my son, who, while only 11, has been to 6 head-fi meets, and has his own tube amp
L3000.gif

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #45 of 47
I'm 14, started when I was 13, and I love listening to music. It's what I love to do. I'd also love to go to the live hip hop (and other genre shows when they come up sometimes) shows around town, but my friend's would need their own ride, and their parents usually don't want to go the distance either, as my ride is my Dad and he wouldn't want to pick anyone else up, since the distance for most of the shows is already too far for him, and he doesn't want me alone anywhere, I just need a friend to meet there, which is still hard for me to do.

No girlfriend yet (I'm one of the two chubby kids in my grade :p), but working on it. Not much of a life outside of school and Boy Scouts, so I love to listen to music.

I do miscellaneous yard work for money and just this past summer I worked for my dad at his embroidery business for $8/hour and made a bit over $500 and bought some HD650s. I am also starting a record collection and vinyl rig since I got a Dual CS5000 with a Shure V15V-MR cartridge for FREE! Once I found out what I got i was very surprised! My Dad helped me start a record collection by buying me a Spin Clean record cleaner, some sleeves, a phono stage and a few records for my birthday. I scored some professor's record collection of 70s-90s rock (minus the Beatles since someone bought them all already) for $10. Maybe 30-50 records. Lots of surface scratches but hopefully playable (haven't tried yet as my turntable needs a new belt). My Dad also has a collection of oldies rock, including most of The Beatles, maybe 200 records, that he lets me play.

With my job, school, and Scouts it's hard for me to even find time to listen to music, but when I rarely do find time, I love it. Once I get my setup perfected and I get on a habit of getting my homework done right when I get home so I have the night to myself, I will be doing a lot more listening :)

And I will have a girlfriend soon, hopefully :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back