Want a loan headphone
Jul 9, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #17 of 47
Couldn't you buy each one at headroom, listen and take notes. Then return them, decide which ones you like best. Then you could buy them, TBH I wouldn't want to loan $1500 headphones to a 14-year old.

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #18 of 47
You are a much more respectful boy than I was at 14. Good luck with finding the right phones 
smile.gif

Jul 9, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #20 of 47
a) he's 14, and probably doesn't have a spare $1500 kicking around
b) he's 14, and doesn't have a credit card
c) his parents would kill him if he used THEIR credit card
d) buying a $1500 headphone then returning it is pretty uncool, and he seems like a respectable young man

Jul 9, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #21 of 47
All I can say is give it some patience. You're not quite as free as you'd like to be at your age, and even if you could loan the headphones, I doubt you have a source to drive them to justice.

My suggestion is to save your money and start low. Seeing how you got a D5000, how about you invest in an amplifier to drive them better? You can save your money to get better headphones later. Who knows what will be around in two years?

Jul 9, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #23 of 47
He could utilize that $50 and pay for either a taxi or some public transport to get to a location where he could listen to them. 

Jul 10, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #25 of 47
this had me laughing hard

Jul 10, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #26 of 47
I assume you attend school, so why don't you ask your administrators for permission to use a classroom after school. You could hold a small meet and, hopefully, get several members to show up with gear. Have your parents come along with their favorite CDs - I promise you they would enjoy listening to their music and would probably enjoy chatting with members here. Too bad you're not in Los Angeles. I'd take some gear out for a meet and several others would do the same.

Jul 10, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #27 of 47

Quote:
I assume you attend school, so why don't you ask your administrators for permission to use a classroom after school. You could hold a small meet and, hopefully, get several members to show up with gear. Have your parents come along with their favorite CDs - I promise you they would enjoy listening to their music and would probably enjoy chatting with members here. Too bad you're not in Los Angeles. I'd take some gear out for a meet and several others would do the same.
Guy walks in door "Dude I just got these Skullcandy Skullcrushers, they are pretty insane". This is assuming the kids that attend most high schools.

Jul 10, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #28 of 47
I often let my students (that I trust) listen to my gear.  It's given me a chance to listen to lots of Skullcandy, Wesc, low end Sony, and other such brands.  It also gives them a window into what their music can sound like when amped into a proper set of cans.  I've had quite a few students, once so proud of their Skullcandies and Sony XB-500, drop their jaws at what they are hearing.

As a result, two of my students ended up grabbing a DBI Pro 700 shortly after I did.

The moral of the story?  People who are serious about audio are usually a bit snobby with their equipment, and don't mind showing it off.  You likely know someone who has some decent headphones, that would let you give them a listen.

Jul 10, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #29 of 47
Find something with an awesome sound for a low pricepoint. Try and pick up a vintage set of AKGs or something, like a K141 or K240. You'll have much more money to do whatever with and you'll thank yourself down the line when you have to pay for tuition or car insurance or anything else that comes with growing up.

Jul 10, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #30 of 47

Quote:
Find something with an awesome sound for a low pricepoint. Try and pick up a vintage set of AKGs or something, like a K141 or K240. You'll have much more money to do whatever with and you'll thank yourself down the line when you have to pay for tuition or car insurance or anything else that comes with growing up.

Though you might want to choose something that you won't need a monster amp to make it sound good. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back