Wanna audition the Fuze LOD?
Sep 18, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #31 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drpepper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, here is what I have found from my very un-scientific testing.
I tested with my 8GB Fuze, a V2 model, my Fiio E5, and both UE Metro.Fi 200 (my current portable fave) and JVC HA-RX700. I tried to keep things as "real world" as possible, around the house , outside in the yard, etc. I listened mostly to rock and some electronic.The first thing I have to say from all the testing is that the Fuze really is a very good DAP right out of the headphone jack unamped. I first tried the HP out to the E5. It was slightly better, I assume from a higher quality amp. Would I use this setup? No, it just isn't worth the hassle. The difference between unamped and amped via HP out is minimal, plus you have more stuff to carry, more complicated to use, and more potential for damage. When I tried the LOD (capped version), there was a difference. I wouldn't say night and day, more subtle, but clearly there. The most noticeable effect is that the soundstage opens waaaaaaay up. The sound gets open and airy. Instruments become more separated and distinct. Another benefit is the bottom end is really beefed up, more authoritative, cleaner. Beyond that, not much of an improvement over unamped. I was expecting some increase in detail but that didn't change. A LOD and amp is a dramatic improvement on an iPod, on the Fuze it's less pronounced. I would use a LOD if I was trying to get the last bit of SQ out of my Fuze. This goes back to my initial statement that the Fuze is a really good source and can stand on its own ampless.
Thanks to ClieOS for the opportunity to try his LOD.
Will I get one? Maybe, but it's not high on my priority list. I am just going to enjoy my Fuze unamped for now.

QFT

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #32 of 192
[Update] For various reasons, the 2nd and 3rd name on the list are unavailable for audition at their allocated time. I push them back and RAQemUP is currently next on list (and should receive the LOD from Drpepper soon).

A few comments here:
This audition serves two general purposes: 1st, to establish the consensus of whether LO and HO are identical or not. 2nd, to provide chances for individuals to assess whether LO serves a significant factor of upgrade in their own setup or not.

For the 1st purpose, I think it is pretty clear of what the result is, judging from all those who actually heard the LOD for themselves - and of course, more opinion will come as the audition continues onward. However, it is the 2nd purpose I want to elaborate on:

For those who did hear a difference in LO vs. HO, the question is of course whether the difference is worth the effort of getting a LOD or not - but this is influenced by several factors:

1) Whether the user's gears are up to the task of resolving those differences or not. If a FiiO E5 (which is the bottom end of the portable amp world) can show a subtle yet noticeable differences, it is hard not to assume that a better amp can better present those difference. On the other hand, If you are using a Creative EP-630 (which known for its muddiness and lack of detail), what is the point of getting a LOD, right?

2) Whether the user considers the differences as significant or not. This is of course related to the 1st factor: For a person who are using EP-630, there isn't much of any reason to get a LOD since money will be better spent on getting a good headphone first (this is the same reason why an ibud user really doesn't need to get an amp and LOD for his/her iPod). But for a person who already own a modestly good amp and headphone setup, a LOD can be significant enough - when you are trying to squeeze out the every last bit of you current setup, sometime a mere 5~10% improvement can be seen as significant and worthy of the effort. This should be judged on an individual level - that is, you should be the one who determines whether a LOD adds more more value to your setup.

This is what this audition is for: to give you a chance to make the assessment for yourself instead of blindly follow another person's comment whom may not have any relevancy to your situation. Some people have $1K IEM and think money well spent; Some other think $1K should have been spent on big cans; while other might think $1K is better left in the bank as you don't get $700 of upgrade jumping from $300 IEM. There is no right or wrong answer that will fit everyone. You should be the one who picks your own poison!!!
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #33 of 192
ClieOS, thanks a ton for offering this trial, I'm really looking forward to it! Sorry for the delay on my end. I haven't heard a thing from Justin about my Pico; it was just a battery replacement. He must be really busy. My intent is to listen with an RS-1 and Pico. I'm really looking forward to seeing if I can hear a difference w/ a LOD, and if it's enough to make it worth obtaining one. Thanks for your patience - I'll keep you up to date on my status, and I definitely still want to do this!

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #35 of 192
Hi ClieOS,
Once again, thanks for letting me try the LOD. Your latest comments are right on target. My results are just what I would get because that is how I would use it. My "real world" testing is the combinations I would be using, and for my needs it just not worth it. But let me restate my findings, there is a distinct difference. We are the type of people that will spend hundreds of dollars just to get a single digit percentage increase in sound quality. In that respect, the LOD is a bargain.

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #36 of 192
ClieOS Hi,

I didn't mention when I signed up to try your LOD that I own one presently and I must admit I enjoy it alot (won't get into that now though). My curious side saw your offer and I was like hmmmm. I wonder what that one sounds like
smily_headphones1.gif
So, in short, I will be testing how 2 "different" LODs compare. I know thats not an issue with you but I just thought I'd bring it up. Great thread BTW.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #37 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...So, in short, I will be testing how 2 "different" LODs compare. I know thats not an issue with you but I just thought I'd bring it up. Great thread BTW.

That's fine with me. Of course I'll still expect you to meet the basic requirement of the review (on LO vs. HO amped). Any extra test is up to you.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #38 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's fine with me. Of course I'll still expect you to meet the basic requirement of the review (on LO vs. HO amped). Any extra test is up to you.

Yes, absolutely

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #39 of 192
Just to let everyone know I got the LOD's in the mail. I won't be able to give it a proper listen to until the weekend due to exams and work.

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #40 of 192
I'm pretty much excited as I'm next in the list after RAQemUP. That would be another sleepless nights....

Sep 23, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #41 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrazmar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty much excited as I'm next in the list after RAQemUP. That would be another sleepless nights....

Sorry jrazmar, you might have to wait a few more weeks. See the top of post #32 for detail.

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #44 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to let everyone know I got the LOD's in the mail. I won't be able to give it a proper listen to until the weekend due to exams and work.

Hi RAQemUP

We have quite a few good "commercial free" PBS stations here in NY, Fordham University being one of my favorites.

I was wondering how the reception is with the dock?

USG

orig.jpg

Sep 24, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #45 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry jrazmar, you might have to wait a few more weeks. See the top of post #32 for detail.

No problem ClieOS. I can wait. You're really doing a great favor to everyone here. Thank you. Cheers to ClieOS!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back