Wanna audition the Fuze LOD?
Aug 31, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #17 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvlgato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am interested, and would like to be on the list. My amp is in the shop now, but expect it back with the next week. Thanks!

No problem, name added.
L3000.gif

Also want to thank tstarn06 for his impression.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #18 of 192
I already own a Fuze LOD with a 3.5mm jack built in that I bought off of Ebay and was wondering if I could try out one of yours to see if I can hear a difference between the LODs

So I am gonna pit yy Fuze LOD with a silver wired 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnect and your LOD that is terminated with a 3.5mm plug against each other. Plus would like to see if the caps used make a difference.

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #19 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already own a Fuze LOD with a 3.5mm jack built in that I bought off of Ebay and was wondering if I could try out one of yours to see if I can hear a difference between the LODs

So I am gonna pit yy Fuze LOD with a silver wired 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnect and your LOD that is terminated with a 3.5mm plug against each other. Plus would like to see if the caps used make a difference.

Sure, name added. The basic requirement is just an impression of LO vs. HO (both amped). You can do extra comparison on whatever interests you. I have several LOD based on different caps and so far Black Gate and Nichicon ES sound the best to me. The Belden cable I used is silver plated OFC, just in case you want to know. Will be interesting to read your finding.

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #20 of 192
Please count me in, Clieos! Thanks a bunch. Btw, I own a Fuze and a T4 which drives my PFE. Just let me know if you need further info.

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #21 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrazmar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please count me in, Clieos! Thanks a bunch. Btw, I own a Fuze and a T4 which drives my PFE. Just let me know if you need further info.

Name added.
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #22 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem, name added.
L3000.gif

Also want to thank tstarn06 for his impression.

No problem. As I noted, the SQ difference between the HP out amped vs. LOD with amp is not as dramatic as HP out (no amp) vs. LOD (or HP amped for that matter), but it was there for me. It's all about incremental improvement, so I find the LOD worth the extra small cost to get that incremental change. Others, of course, may not. It's a personal thing, I guess you could say.

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #23 of 192
OK, here is what I have found from my very un-scientific testing.
I tested with my 8GB Fuze, a V2 model, my Fiio E5, and both UE Metro.Fi 200 (my current portable fave) and JVC HA-RX700. I tried to keep things as "real world" as possible, around the house , outside in the yard, etc. I listened mostly to rock and some electronic.The first thing I have to say from all the testing is that the Fuze really is a very good DAP right out of the headphone jack unamped. I first tried the HP out to the E5. It was slightly better, I assume from a higher quality amp. Would I use this setup? No, it just isn't worth the hassle. The difference between unamped and amped via HP out is minimal, plus you have more stuff to carry, more complicated to use, and more potential for damage. When I tried the LOD (capped version), there was a difference. I wouldn't say night and day, more subtle, but clearly there. The most noticeable effect is that the soundstage opens waaaaaaay up. The sound gets open and airy. Instruments become more separated and distinct. Another benefit is the bottom end is really beefed up, more authoritative, cleaner. Beyond that, not much of an improvement over unamped. I was expecting some increase in detail but that didn't change. A LOD and amp is a dramatic improvement on an iPod, on the Fuze it's less pronounced. I would use a LOD if I was trying to get the last bit of SQ out of my Fuze. This goes back to my initial statement that the Fuze is a really good source and can stand on its own ampless.
Thanks to ClieOS for the opportunity to try his LOD.
Will I get one? Maybe, but it's not high on my priority list. I am just going to enjoy my Fuze unamped for now.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #24 of 192
Thanks for the impression, Drpepper. Remember to PM the next person on the list for name and address for the registered mail before the end of your audition session.

Sep 5, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #25 of 192
Just a small update to keep everyone on the same page: Woody is going out of town so he has asked to send the LOD to the next person in line, but jvlgato hasn't got his amp back yet. So Drpepper will hold on to the LOD for another week before sending the LOD out. If Woody still can't audition the LOD after jvlgato's term, we will move forward to the rest of the list. Cheer.

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #26 of 192
Not sure who has the Fuze LOD but I am available now to give it a try.
smily_headphones1.gif

Will catch up reading this thread tonight when I get the time.

Thank You for everyone's understanding and patience.

Rick

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #28 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested so long as it will work on a V1 fuze with rockbox.
smily_headphones1.gif

Audio output via the Fuze's dock port has not been worked on in Rockbox yet.
frown.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #29 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure who has the Fuze LOD but I am available now to give it a try.
smily_headphones1.gif

The LOD should currently on its way to RAQemUP from Drpepper. Once RAQemUP is done with the audition, it will go back to you, then jvlgato.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested so long as it will work on a V1 fuze with rockbox.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll put you on the list for now. You can decide whether to audition the LOD when the time comes as perhaps Rockbox will support LO fumction by then.

Sep 17, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #30 of 192
Hi ClieOS! Wow, just caught this thread! Pretty cool thing you got going here. Don't add me to the list - I'm still running the original LO cable I built on my Fuze (not too fancy, as you know). Currently tied up modding a Klipsch SXT that docks the Fuze in the iPod well. I'll be following your findings here, great idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back