Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Dec 24, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #661 of 3,631
Here it is.

Walnut v2 (DAP) + **** UEs:                                                                                   

Zishan (DAC, turbo- HG- and sharp roll-off) + Walnut v2 (Amplifier) + **** UEs:

(I was shocked when tried Walnut as amplifier with Zishan DAC: the bass roll-off of Walnut DAP, which was even accentuated when using Walnut as an amplifier of iBasso D14, is gone when unloaded!)

About your question about **** 4in1 and Walnut v2, and if **** UEs is as similar to 4in1 as I think, I'd prefer other source than Walnut in this case.

Check, for example, the response in Zishan + Topping NX1a (amp) + **** UEs combo:

This is much more transparent, the impedance don't vary in any frequency abnormally.

Anyway, every ear is different, and there will be people liking that combo probably, but I'd never suggest Walnut for **** UEs.

Aha. Thanks alot brother. Was sooo excited to have this. I wanted an dap/amp at similar price.

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #663 of 3,631
ORDERED 20x Walnuts, no caps, no vol pots!

Time till my door is 10-12 days including production time and DHL shipping.

Ordering custom production walnuts is faster than ordering from Aliexpress 
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #666 of 3,631
SUCH a good pairing! I personally am partial to the HD25 series to the various K240's... not that they are directly comparable, but are more or less designed for similar purposes.

Sounds good, thanks! I've got both my first ever Sextett and a Walnut on the way and have a good feeling about them as a pair.

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #667 of 3,631
Sounds good, thanks! I've got both my first ever Sextett and a Walnut on the way and have a good feeling about them as a pair.

After a lot of listening, seems like stuff that generally pairs well with classic/vintage receivers and such get along marvelously with the Walnut. So that basically means everything except gear extremely sensitive to noise and BA gear. I hate BA IEM's personally, so I guess I got lucky there... but I have not tried a pairing I can say is bad yet. Some headphones I have to EQ to enjoy I don't use with the Walnut but everything else I have used is just great....

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #668 of 3,631
  After a lot of listening, seems like stuff that generally pairs well with classic/vintage receivers and such get along marvelously with the Walnut. So that basically means everything except gear extremely sensitive to noise and BA gear. I hate BA IEM's personally, so I guess I got lucky there... but I have not tried a pairing I can say is bad yet. Some headphones I have to EQ to enjoy I don't use with the Walnut but everything else I have used is just great....

That's where ibasso IT03 comes in, it's DD + BA, and sounds sweet with the Walnut, more so after you do something about the noise of the stock walnut, eg replacing the opamp or the filter cap can get rid of the noise.

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #669 of 3,631

Yeah, that makes sense. Should be interesting to test it with some of my higher impedance earbuds as well, I don't really have much stuff that's very hard to drive, my modded T50rp are probably the most hard to drive headphones among the ones I own....

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #670 of 3,631
Peter123 : My excessively modded and therefore very hard to drive T50RP  seems to hit a decent volume , just slightly better than the DT990 Vintage.
Not sure what you did to yours it's likely a bit more sensitive than mine though.

Waynesworld will be happy to hear about that AKG K240 success and the T50RP.
I've only got the 2 vintage K141 silver and gold now. Not had a chance to try them yet.
Thanks for that idea.

Dec 24, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #671 of 3,631
Peter123 : My excessively modded and thereforevery hard to drive T50RP  seems to hit a decent volume , just slightly better than the DT990 Vintage.
Not sure what you did to yours it's likely a bit more sensitive than mine though.

Waynesworld will be happy to hear about that AKG K240 success and the T50RP.
I've only got the 2 vintage K141 silver and gold now. Not had a chance to try them yet.
Thanks for that idea.

Sounds good Nick! My T50rp are basically a BMF DBV#3 mod but with some adjustments through the last three years to suit my preferences. I've got one more pair that I've really only done some basic mods on and added the Alpha Pads on and they're more easy to drive than my "good" pair.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to try out the Walnut with the Sextett and Fostex in particular but also with some of my earbuds with 320 to 400Ohms impedance.

Dec 24, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #672 of 3,631
  Also I noticed older walnuts have a difference in the pcb, situated in a crucial area at the dac output, there is two blue crossed resistors, while the newer walnuts have skimped on the production in this area it seems. Also the newer walnuts have the dac/soc chip sanded to hide the chip name, while the older walnut has the chip name intact. Both have the same pcb, labeled as PCB V1.2 (aka V2 walnut), so the dac output resistor change would have an actual effect given the pcb is the same. The production dates are left one is September 2016, the right is October 2016, if you want to know the production date and PCB version of your walnut, it is written underneath the battery next to the 3 buttons, you don't have to remove the battery, just look form the side.

Could you tell me the name on the DAC chip? Sadly can't quite make it out from the picture...

Dec 24, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #674 of 3,631
Originally Posted by T.R.A.N.C.E. 

Also I noticed older walnuts have a difference in the pcb, situated in a crucial area at the dac output, there is two blue crossed resistors, while the newer walnuts have skimped on the production in this area it seems. 

The production dates are left one is September 2016, the right is October 2016,

^ seems the pcb on the right is a revision.
If you look close at the area with the resistors, the trace pattern is different where it goes to the lower right pins  above the blue resistor that is on the right side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back