Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Dec 24, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #676 of 3,631

^ seems the pcb on the right is a revision.
If you look close at the area with the resistors, the trace pattern is different where it goes to the lower right pins  above the blue resistor that is on the right side.

Very good eye. I asked the Walnut creator and he said those blue resistors were only used to correct a circuit miscalculation which has been fixed in later walnuts 
smile.gif

Dec 24, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #677 of 3,631
  BTW @hakuzen what if you do Walnut line out -> Topping amp -> ****?

Sure!
That's the best way to use sensible low impedance phones with Walnut.

Of course, there is still the roll-off at both sides, proper of Walnut.

Most flat, and low output impedance amplifiers, would serve; there are small and cheap ones, Topping NX1 is one of them, so the combo price does not get increased too much.

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #678 of 3,631

Sure!
That's the best way to use sensible low impedance phones with Walnut.

Of course, there is still the roll-off at both sides, proper of Walnut.

Most flat, and low output impedance amplifiers, would serve; there are small and cheap ones, Topping NX1 is one of them, so the combo price does not get increased too much.

Thank you time and time again for all your measurements. Seeing this vs. all the Zishan measurements has been really interesting. Also, I thought the bass rolloff would be helped with an external amp on the measurements. It still sounds kind of off with sub bass (sub 50Hz) test tracks when you use the internal amp. Well, maybe I will figure out why that happens when I get around to messing with parts on a Walnut.

I have been wanting to run the Walnut into a tube amp, but don't have one at this time...

Merry Christmas to you and all other Walnutters!

Dec 24, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #680 of 3,631
A few posts ago I read you guys had a "pop" when connecting your iems, I too had that problem. Today I switched opamp from the stock Walnut to the LME49720NA and the "pop" is gone. The LME49720 is about $4, seems like a good and inexpensive solution.

Interesting. Both stock (of course) and burson v5i have the pop.

Dec 24, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #681 of 3,631
I did find some opamps reduced the pop slightly but not get rid of it. Depends on what hp your using for what pop intensity your hearing though. Also found changing the filter capacitor reduced the pop even further to the point I wouldn't call it a pop.

Dec 24, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #683 of 3,631
Also incoming OPA2132P  to try out, saw that it had very little to no DC offset, and apparently a neutral type of sound.

I see now searching the thread VAPMAN has tried it, my plan is to use it with different caps so will see.

Dec 24, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #684 of 3,631
  Also incoming OPA2132P  to try out, saw that it had very little to no DC offset, and apparently a neutral type of sound.

I see now searching the thread VAPMAN has tried it, my plan is to use it with different caps so will see.

I have the 2132PA. I will probably swap my Burson V5i with the 2132 soon. I find it to have better soundstage and a more airy sound than NE5532 but with a less prominent midrange. I think the only difference in the 2132P and 2132PA is some power ratings?

Dec 24, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #685 of 3,631
  I have the 2132PA. I will probably swap my Burson V5i with the 2132 soon. I find it to have better soundstage and a more airy sound than NE5532 but with a less prominent midrange. I think the only difference in the 2132P and 2132PA is some power ratings?

Those impressions are what I read elsewhere also. Plus not really overemphasizing anything too much.
Some minor differences.

this thread is sending me down a bad rabbithole, I need to slow down.

Dec 24, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #686 of 3,631

Those impressions are what I read elsewhere also. Plus not really overemphasizing anything too much.
Some minor differences.

this thread is sending me down a bad rabbithole, I need to slow down.

No, you need more expensive exotic booteek caps galore:)

Dec 25, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #688 of 3,631

No, you need more expensive exotic booteek caps galore:)

ohhhh kk then.

How about some:

1. Roederstein 1000uf 16v EKS LL ( 10mm so will fit the space for the power )

and for the two outputs
  1. K50-35 47uf 63v Oxide Electrolytic ( Russian NOS from 1992 )

1. FRAKO 47uf 25v KEJ Axial Electrolytic ( German )

^ are these booteek enough or simply obscure and hip? It's a fine line.
wink.gif

Are there Soviet era Opamps? I'll check that out. Be neat to put a Soviet spec one together to run some Soviet orthos.

=oooh yesss there

are need to ask about mono vs stereo
ph34r.gif

Dec 25, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #689 of 3,631

ohhhh kk then.

How about some:

1. Roederstein 1000uf 16v EKS LL ( 10mm so will fit the space for the power )

and for the two outputs
  1. K50-35 47uf 63v Oxide Electrolytic ( Russian NOS from 1992 )

1. FRAKO 47uf 25v KEJ Axial Electrolytic ( German )

^ are these booteek enough or simply obscure and hip? It's a fine line.
wink.gif

Are there Soviet era Opamps? I'll check that out. Be neat to put a Soviet spec one together to run some Soviet orthos.

=oooh yesss there

are need to ask about mono vs stereo
ph34r.gif

Soviets knocked off everything (still do) so you can probably find an opamp equiv for just about anything.

Capwise.  http://duelundaudio.blogspot.ca/  

These yoyo's build them up to 4 figures in price. Perfect to get the most out of yer 20 buck player
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back