Wallet-fi
Sep 3, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #16 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not "getting by", it's carrying lightly/smartly and NOT carrying what you DON'T need. What if you lost your wallet? You'd be SOL cause you have no IDs, no credit cards, and all your other cards are gone to boot. That's A LOT of calling to do when you get home. Not to mention, every time you sit down, you sit on a 3 inch brick. I used to carry a HUGE wallet, and after carrying minimal, I've never looked back.

Just for the sake of continuing this interesting discussion, I snapped a few (now censored) pics of my wallet. It's really not that thick.

Wallet-001.jpg

Wallet-002.jpg

Yes, one of the credit cards is a company card.

Of the store cards, the only one I would feel comfortable dropping would be the Best Buy card as that is the only store I plan to go to. I very randomly go to Bass Pro, the Library, and Blockbuster. Yes, Blockbuster could look up my membership info but adding that one card is not that much. I actually go to the Library at least once a week because it is between the train station and my house and it has a pretty darn good movie selection. Believe it or not, my library charges $.25 to look up your card number so it's a keeper.

The insurance card is for health insurance and it really should be with me at all times in case of an accident or emergency.

I used to have the grocery store card on a key chain but I had trouble with them breaking off. They also poked my leg when I sat down because they stick out more than the keys that surround them.

My ID card is my driver's license and I drive a car every day. Can't drop that one.

As I said in my previous post, I carry a money clip for my cash and it is in a separate pocket than my wallet. So if I loose or get one stolen, I'll have the other to get myself home.

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #17 of 56
Quote:

You really need to learn how to minimize what you carry with you. Do you REALLY use all 9 of those cards on a daily basis? How often are you really going to REALISTICALLY carry different currencies? Can you really not keep your change at home and what little you get during the day in your pocket? By the sounds of it, you probably have 98374658237465 receipts months old packed into that beast as well.

These are questions you need to ask yourself. Carrying around that much, you need a purse, but are just too ashamed to carry one. Wallets don't break unless they're too full. My dad has had the same cheapo $10 wallet from Walmart for the past 12 years. It's not about quality, it's about how much garbage is in it.

Carry only what you need. I have a bunch of different store credit cards, gift cards and what nots, but you know what's in my wallet? Money(hopefully, lol), my drivers license, my ID card, and my bank card. Yeah, it would be nice carrying all those other things and have it on tap, but really, you shouldn't need anything else. Two forms of ID and your bank card with some cash is all you should ever need. This also minimizes loss if you ever god forbid lose your wallet.

Quote:

Every mens magazine has proven with SEVERAL tests that you can really get by with just your IDs, bank card, and if you carry a gun on you, a CWL. Transit ticket if you use public transport like a train or bus.

Even the busiest and biggest spending individuals have been tested and shown that throughout their day, they don't even need an ID card on them, but it's just smart to always have it on you if something were to happen. Tests have shown most people can go through the WHOLE DAY carrying JUST a debit or credit card, and most of the time don't even get ID'd. They've also shown that the only reason most people go into their wallet is to grab that debit card, or in some cases if ID'd, the ID. All other things were just excess baggage.

Women have even adapted at carrying less with a purse. Have you seen how small some purses are? If a woman can minimize, surely a guy can slim down the wallet.

I'll use your wallet, not you per say, but your wallet as an example. Leave the cards you don't use at home. The cards you don't use, you're likely at home when you plan to go to the places associated with them anyways, so put them somewhere secure, or in a drawer.

You ALWAYS have your wallet on you, are you going to Blockbuster EVERY TIME you go out? Library? Grocery store (don't those usually have keychain versions anyways?)? Best buy? Bass Pro?

Right in your own list, you can eliminate ATLEAST 3 cards (monthly ones) right off the bat.

Blockbuster, they can look you up in the computer if you go there before you get a chance to go home.

Library, they too can look you up if you go unexpectedly. That's probably the most useless of cards to carry because that's probably the LEAST visited places of all the cards you carry with you.

Insurance card, health insurance? OK, that one is plausible, but car insurance? Why not leave that in your glovebox? When do you ever need to use it when NOT in your car?

Do you really need to carry TWO credit cards? One for emergencies, sure, but What is the other one for? If that one gets declined? Emergency of an emergency? Leave it at home in a safe.

It's not "getting by", it's carrying lightly/smartly and NOT carrying what you DON'T need. What if you lost your wallet? You'd be SOL cause you have no IDs, no credit cards, and all your other cards are gone to boot. That's A LOT of calling to do when you get home. Not to mention, every time you sit down, you sit on a 3 inch brick. I used to carry a HUGE wallet, and after carrying minimal, I've never looked back.

Adjective
off-topic (comparative more off-topic, superlative most off-topic)
1.Not related to the matter under discussion.
Noun
drivel (uncountable)
1. senseless talk; nonsense.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #20 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This site can help you consolidate multiple store cards onto a single card:
Just One Club Card - Combine All Of Your Club Cards

I just, don't shop at stores that want me to have one. Not often, anyway. Not with a card that traces back to me, at any rate.

I actually have a friend who prints up his own bar codes for them, on stickers, and just puts on a new one every few weeks.

Go ahead and say that i overthink things, but the purpose of the loyalty card is to put the customer at a disadvantage with regard to targeted pricing.

In the traditional supermarket model, you have to guess at what sort of special pricing customers might respond to.

Usually it doesn't matter much, because decades of experience have shown empirically that if you tell someone that they can buy two of something for a special price, they will gravitate toward it even if two of the single-pack costs substantially more than the double-pack on the next shelf down. Even if the "two for" price doesn't actually save them any money vs. buying one, a substantial number of shoppers will accept the suggestion to buy two.

But when deciding the numbers for coupons, it gets much sketchier. Sometimes the coupon is a loss leader. As the store operator you are agreeing to take a loss on a particular item in the hope that the customer will buy more stuff than what's just on the coupon, but you're still losing money.

The loyalty card allows the store to personalize coupons. They send you coupons that were printed just for your demographic. And yes, just knowing your address they can get a pretty good idea of how wealthy you are and how many people probably live with you.

Sometimes they're wrong. I'm a single white male living in a house that would usually have a family of five in it, and my income exceeds the total income of the family of five that i bought it from.

But usually they're right on the money. There are databases that track this stuff. I used to share office space with a guy who ran a small business producing demographic maps to order. Using no more than public information and what you told them on the survey form, they can get a pretty good idea how much disposable income you have, and what sorts of things you buy.

Through the loyalty card system, they can get direct and rather immediate feedback about whether you buy grapes at 72 cents a pound or 68 cents a pound, and so on.

I don't think this system actually works. I think it could work, but isn't actually working. In actuality it constitutes a waste of money for the grocer.

That means that their total income has to be higher, which means that on average you're going to spend more at these stores and get less.

But here's where i stand on principle: I resent the machinations of businesses that try to put their customer at a disadvantage. I respectfully reject the proposition that we should change the rules of how prices and discounts are determined, and choose instead to patronize businesses that have slightly more respect for me than that.

I'm a bitterly cynical man with a signed and laminated license to be an idealist. I pay attention to what i spend on grocery items, and to tell the truth, no store can claim to always be cheaper than some other store.

Unless that other store is A&J's Fine Foods in Scottsdale AZ. That place is nuts. And their produce sucks.

But for example, in my area, there are several stores associated with Kroger, several with Supervalu, and several with Associated. Associated food stores, of course, is the most loosely operated chain, and the chain with no loyalty cards.

There are, of course, a SuperTarget and a SuperWalmart.

I don't have to find reasons to hate the supertarget because target is a happy place. It's clean, not too noisy, and the aisles are wide and easy to navigate.

I find reasons to hate walmart because there's a wall of doritos and toilet paper in my way every time i turn around, and there always seems to be some guy trying to run a large TV through a self-checkout right in front of someone who decided to bring their entire family down to the last screaming 2 year old.

but most of the AFS grocery stores try to present the image of being a down-home low-budget supporter of lower-middle-class families.

Target, by contrast, willingly or unwillingly, gets more associated with privileged young adults and the upper middle class. And some things at Target are certainly more expensive than they might be elsewhere.

But i've observed some things.

If you want a 38 cent roll of paper towels made of 100% post consumer recycled paper with flecks of styrofoam here and there, the AFS store on the edge of little mexico can hook you up. but if you want a paper towel that doesn't tear so easily, it costs 30% more at the AFS store than it does at the supertarget.

And i keep finding things that are cheaper at target than elsewhere. Like pepto bismol in any form. and Nestle Quick. Or name-brand household cleaning products that are in direct competition with the Target store brand -- the Target product is almost always more expensive than the name brand in the cleaning supplies department. I think they do this last bit just to confuse people.

"What?! Target brand scouring pads cost a dollar more than scotch brite?! Am i taking crazy pills?!"

Don't get me wrong - supertarget is outrageously expensive if you wanted to buy a container of cinnamon, or a bag of flour, but the object lesson is that nobody has ever cornered the market on savings, and nobody ever will - or even wants to. But I'm at the supertarget every now and then anyway, because I'm addicted to their store-brand chocolate peanutbutter fudge icecream.

In summary, never go shopping with me. I'm nuts.

Sep 4, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #21 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Adjective
off-topic (comparative more off-topic, superlative most off-topic)
1.Not related to the matter under discussion.
Noun
drivel (uncountable)
1. senseless talk; nonsense.

Says the guy that probably carries a purse, lol.
wink.gif

What's off topic about it?

Sep 4, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #22 of 56
haha, word oicdn. I am all about carrying as little as possible.

Wallets are too bulky, so I just do driver license, school ID, health insurance and credit card. Usually don't carry cash, sometimes one or two bills.
school ID is most expendable.. but places with student discounts are very rigid. Didn't carry health insurance with me until a month ago; the only time I will need it is in an emergency but that is when it might really make a difference.
If I am not wearing a jacket with pockets though I will go even slimmer to just a credit card or nothing depending on what my plans are... living dangerously.

in terms of high end japanese wallets I would get one by The Flat Head. I heard their leather crafter department is only a couple guys and per month they only make 2 or 3 wallets. Not worth the money though since I wouldn't even end up using it most likely.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #24 of 56
Quote:

Says the guy that probably carries a purse, lol.
wink.gif

nutkick.gif

Oh, and I actually carry a man-bag
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

What's off topic about it?

Let me break it down for you in small, easily understood steps:

1. OP asked for recommendations for a wallet that met a few criteria he outlined
2. You derided him for carrying too much in his wallet.
3. Therefore you did not answer his original query but instead moved the discussion to a topic of your own choosing.
4. Ergo, your diatribe was OFF-TOPIC

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #26 of 56
I carry a Tumi bifold with room for eight cards. I have more, so I keep those in a Tumi checkbook wallet with card slots. The checkbook wallet stays at home 99% of the time, but is relatively convenient to carry when I need it.

I've been happy with the Tumi set; it wears well and the craftsmanship is high. I've also carried Bosca wallets, which are also excellent.

Since we're talking about what to carry, I recommend leaving a debit card at home. If it gets skimmed or you lose it, thieves will drain your account. It is considerably harder to get money put back in your account than it is to reverse fraudulent charges on a credit or charge card.

I carry a Mastercard, a Visa, an Amex Business charge, and an Amex personal charge. The Amex personal is my primary card. I have to pay it off every month. I pay an annual fee, but Amex treats me right - I don't ask for much, but they've met every request and nothing is ever a problem.

I don't apply for, use or carry loyalty cards. Half of my mailbox goes in the recycling every day and I don't need more corporate courtship. I would rather pay more or go without than get stuck with more marketing.

Sep 5, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #27 of 56
Quote:

nutkick.gif

rolleyes.gif

Let me break it down for you in small, easily understood steps:

1. OP asked for recommendations for a wallet that met a few criteria he outlined
2. You derided him for carrying too much in his wallet.
3. Therefore you did not answer his original query but instead moved the discussion to a topic of your own choosing.
4. Ergo, your diatribe was OFF-TOPIC

No, it was on topic. Read it again. It was a recommendation to get a SMALLER wallet, and carry less. Less crap you carry, the less wear and tear on everything (including your pants), less occurances on buying wallets.

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #28 of 56
Quote:

You really need to learn how to minimize what you carry with you. Do you REALLY use all 9 of those cards on a daily basis? How often are you really going to REALISTICALLY carry different currencies? Can you really not keep your change at home and what little you get during the day in your pocket? By the sounds of it, you probably have 98374658237465 receipts months old packed into that beast as well.

These are questions you need to ask yourself. Carrying around that much, you need a purse, but are just too ashamed to carry one. Wallets don't break unless they're too full. My dad has had the same cheapo $10 wallet from Walmart for the past 12 years. It's not about quality, it's about how much garbage is in it.

Carry only what you need. I have a bunch of different store credit cards, gift cards and what nots, but you know what's in my wallet? Money(hopefully, lol), my drivers license, my ID card, and my bank card. Yeah, it would be nice carrying all those other things and have it on tap, but really, you shouldn't need anything else. Two forms of ID and your bank card with some cash is all you should ever need. This also minimizes loss if you ever god forbid lose your wallet.

Quote:

Every mens magazine has proven with SEVERAL tests that you can really get by with just your IDs, bank card, and if you carry a gun on you, a CWL. Transit ticket if you use public transport like a train or bus.

Even the busiest and biggest spending individuals have been tested and shown that throughout their day, they don't even need an ID card on them, but it's just smart to always have it on you if something were to happen. Tests have shown most people can go through the WHOLE DAY carrying JUST a debit or credit card, and most of the time don't even get ID'd. They've also shown that the only reason most people go into their wallet is to grab that debit card, or in some cases if ID'd, the ID. All other things were just excess baggage.

Women have even adapted at carrying less with a purse. Have you seen how small some purses are? If a woman can minimize, surely a guy can slim down the wallet.

I'll use your wallet, not you per say, but your wallet as an example. Leave the cards you don't use at home. The cards you don't use, you're likely at home when you plan to go to the places associated with them anyways, so put them somewhere secure, or in a drawer.

You ALWAYS have your wallet on you, are you going to Blockbuster EVERY TIME you go out? Library? Grocery store (don't those usually have keychain versions anyways?)? Best buy? Bass Pro?

Right in your own list, you can eliminate ATLEAST 3 cards (monthly ones) right off the bat.

Blockbuster, they can look you up in the computer if you go there before you get a chance to go home.

Library, they too can look you up if you go unexpectedly. That's probably the most useless of cards to carry because that's probably the LEAST visited places of all the cards you carry with you.

Insurance card, health insurance? OK, that one is plausible, but car insurance? Why not leave that in your glovebox? When do you ever need to use it when NOT in your car?

Do you really need to carry TWO credit cards? One for emergencies, sure, but What is the other one for? If that one gets declined? Emergency of an emergency? Leave it at home in a safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After 5 years of service my wallet finally broke. It wasn't the fault of head-fi , although I did feel sorry for it
tongue.gif
. I wonder if the fine gentlemen of this forum can help me find a new one. I'm looking for a full leather wallet with room for at least 9 cards (the more the better), a coin pocket with a zipper and separate room for 2 kinds of bills (I travel a lot). It needs to fit in the inside pocket of my jacket but shouldn't be too small. My budget would be around $75. What brand type should I get and where should I order it online?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Nate I am not sure if you have a reading disability or not if you do I apologize in advance. Are you that stupid to read the OPs primary post them read your two follow ups. The OP asked about suggestions for a wallet based on his criteria not yours. How is berating him about how much he carries equals an actual suggestion about a brand of wallet for his stated purpose.

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #29 of 56
Quote:

No, it was on topic, because I am the final arbiter of on-topic. Read it again, because I am always right. It was a long list of insulting comments that did not address his original question. Blah. Blah. Blah.I love to read my prose. Blah. Blah.

Fixed that for you.

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #30 of 56
Quote:

nutkick.gif

rolleyes.gif

redface.gif

i do that too....anyway, since i'm carrying a portable amp, an ipod or two, two iems. i needed the space, or a bag. that was off topic, sorry
now back to the topic, a little, i used to like one big wallet that can carry everything but not now because, i usually carrying a bag so i have two wallets, a key wallet and a coin bag. plus, i think it's easier to know what i have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back