Waiting for New AKG Flagship Headphones
Jan 8, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #31 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by headfever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would like to revise one item: No need speaker amplifier. the best is can be boost by portable amp.

If so then I am out.
Cause that is one of the K1000s main benefits imo. Its ability to be driven without a dedicated headphone amplifier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by InFn-0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before the K1000, what was AKG's flagship model? Im really interested to know this brands heritage. cheers
biggrin.gif

I suspect that was the K340, introduced in 1978.

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #32 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If so then I am out.
Cause that is one of the K1000s main benefits imo. Its ability to be driven without a dedicated headphone amplifier.

You can drive every headphone with a speaker amp. For low-impedance types a voltage divider is recommended (to prevent overload), for high-impedance types it can be renounced.

So the lack of need for a speaker amp is in fact a bonus.

BTW, I'm also curious about a future AKG flagship (hopefully more comfortable than the K 1000). However, the HD 800 makes me patient.

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #33 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The T1 and HD800 both have unusual kinds of drivers inside. Maybe AKG will go for something new as well? (A new orthodynamic would be very tempting... but I suppose that is unlikely to happen.)

Has AKG even ever done an orthodynamic? If not then it is almost certain not to happen.

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #35 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG's are the most dynamic hps. I hope they will hold to their reputation.

You can't be serious. AKGs aren't even close to the most dynamic hps. They are good sure, but K701, their current top of the line model, is flat, boring, and fatiguing. Even the AKG lovers tend to agree that they aren't very "fun" headphones to listen to.

They're good for a few uses, but they aren't versatile whatsoever. Rock sounds like crap on them, as do many other styles of electronic music.

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #36 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't be serious. AKGs aren't even close to the most dynamic hps. They are good sure, but K701, their current top of the line model, is flat, boring, and fatiguing. Even the AKG lovers tend to agree that they aren't very "fun" headphones to listen to.

They're good for a few uses, but they aren't versatile whatsoever. Rock sounds like crap on them, as do many other styles of electronic music.

Dynamics don't necessarily equate with fun. Dynamically compressed recordings can sound fun, whereas the same recording without dynamic compression may sound boring. The AKG 701/701 is a very dynamic headphone in my book. The often criticized lack of bass impact is rather a consequence of a missing bass resonance/emphasis than lack of dynamics.

The K 701/702 is extremely good at reproducing drums.

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #37 of 228
Dynamics/range/speed are great and all, but AKG needs to put a flagship without those erratic freq. response spikes in the high range. A flat response coupled with a redesigned headband will make me be able to appreciate an AKG phone for more than an hour at a time.

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #38 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can drive every headphone with a speaker amp. For low-impedance types a voltage divider is recommended (to prevent overload), for high-impedance types it can be renounced...

Here's how:

Headphone Adaptor for Power Amplifiers

Terrific concept. I had one custom made for a particular amp, with a switch for two difference impedances, and speaker output pass-thru by Aric at

www.aricaudio.om

Mine is in a solid Hammond black metal case, two sets of binding posts on the rear (from amp, and pass-thru to speakers), 1/4" headphone female jack on the front, and the impedance toggle switch. Non-slip feet, fine build quality.

I actually use the speaker pass thru for my K1000s, and the 1/4" for another HP, with a strong 200 wpc SS amp, and the volume on both phones is matched well. Very pleased with it.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #39 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's how:

Headphone Adaptor for Power Amplifiers

Terrific concept. I had one custom made for a particular amp, with a switch for two difference impedances, and speaker output pass-thru by Aric at

www.aricaudio.om

Mine is in a solid Hammond black metal case, two sets of binding posts on the rear (from amp, and pass-thru to speakers), 1/4" headphone female jack on the front, and the impedance toggle switch. Non-slip feet, fine build quality.

I actually use the speaker pass thru for my K1000s, and the 1/4" for another HP, with a strong 200 wpc SS amp, and the volume on both phones is matched well. Very pleased with it.

cool!

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #40 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG's are the most dynamic hps. I hope they will hold to their reputation.

I guess that all depends on the model we are talking about... In the case of the k701, sure maybe they are dynamic but I never got past the fake tonality to even notice the dynamics
beerchug.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #41 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dynamics/range/speed are great and all, but AKG needs to put a flagship without those erratic freq. response spikes in the high range. A flat response coupled with a redesigned headband will make me be able to appreciate an AKG phone for more than an hour at a time.

This is one the most often repeated and patently false criticisms of the k701. Look at the freq response graph. You're calling +3dB at 8kHz a "spike in the high range"?
By that rationale the hd800 also has a treble spike ...and actually a much larger one relative to the midrange. If +3dB is a treble spike then what do you call the rs-1's treble boost? Treble skyscraper maybe?
graphCompare.php

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #42 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is one the most often repeated and patently false criticisms of the k701. Look at the freq response graph. You're calling +3dB at 8kHz a "spike in the high range"?
By that rationale the hd800 also has a treble spike ...and actually a much larger one relative to the midrange. If +3dB is a treble spike then what do you call the rs-1's treble boost? Treble skyscraper maybe?
graphCompare.php

In the HD-800 case you can hear this lowmids bump, remind me the 650's, just with better resolution.
wink.gif
I just hope AKG's will have a good price, I mean under $600 I don't find any reason to pay more.

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #43 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
graphCompare.php

Patently false? Have you listened to them? Those graphs were totally different before headroom changed their measuring methods. I hear the k701s to have the old measurements highs and the new measurements lows. Bottom line is don't trust these graphs 100 percent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back