Waiting for New AKG Flagship Headphones
Jan 9, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #46 of 228
Maybe they go stats-dynamic instead, already have a name for them KHE1090
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #47 of 228
I hope they just make a more tonally accomplished K701. Soundstage, detail, dynamics, extension, placement, depth, etc. is all there, but they could do with a more pleasant (and more 'real') tone. Out of a neutral amp, everything sounds like it's recorded in a concrete room. That's not neutral, that's fake. So I hope they fix that, because I really like AKG's.

Jan 9, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #48 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can drive every headphone with a speaker amp. For low-impedance types a voltage divider is recommended (to prevent overload), for high-impedance types it can be renounced.

Yeah, you are right.
Guess I should say "designed to be driven by a speaker amplifier, instead of a dedicated headphone amplifier" then. With the required adapter cable following in the deal.

No 3rd. party adapter cable or voltage divider required.

Jan 9, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #49 of 228
if they can solve the sibilance issue with the k701 and tame the highly fatiguing treble a notch and make the soundstage have more depth and consistent and bump the low end a bit and make the mids recessed like sennheiser and make it sound thicker,then this will be the perfect headphone for me.am i asking too much?
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #51 of 228
And your post "looks" like you decided to base judgement on something it is clear you have not tried. What is your point? And why would it be undomfortable? It has nothing touching your ears and a regular headband. To me that sounds better.

Read up on the K1000. It is one of the few headphones that can have the term "fabled" rightly attached to it (IM (and many others) HO, or course).

Note that I have heard it for all of 1 minute, but that in that time I ascertained two things: Comfort was ok, sound was very good, however brief an impression I got. Not rigorous by any means, but enough to make me set it as my endgame headphone. I would love for it to be commercially available.

-Nkk

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #53 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by stonyboys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait, are you guys serious about wanting a remake of K1000 or is that just an inside joke?

it looks like strapping two mics to either side of your head... and i cant imagine how uncomfortable it must be.

If you do not like them just move on...

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #55 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slash47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope they just make a more tonally accomplished K701. Soundstage, detail, dynamics, extension, placement, depth, etc. is all there, but they could do with a more pleasant (and more 'real') tone. Out of a neutral amp, everything sounds like it's recorded in a concrete room. That's not neutral, that's fake. So I hope they fix that, because I really like AKG's.

Very well said.

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #56 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is one the most often repeated and patently false criticisms of the k701. Look at the freq response graph. You're calling +3dB at 8kHz a "spike in the high range"?
By that rationale the hd800 also has a treble spike ...and actually a much larger one relative to the midrange. If +3dB is a treble spike then what do you call the rs-1's treble boost? Treble skyscraper maybe?
graphCompare.php

"Patently false"? Not at all. When listening to the K701s, in certain songs and certain passages the experience becomes painful, in contrast to other phones. The frequency response chart at headroom is not very accurate beyond 10khz, due to data smoothing and the testing ear apparatus which does not account for variations in individual listener anatomy. While I can't claim it is universally true, many K701 users report similar tics and annoyances, and listening to them for any period of time you begin to notice that something is definitely off, there are some strange peaks that shouldn't be there. I have the HD800 and the RS1, and while both could be subjectively described as "bright" headphones and while both the k701 and the RS1 cause fatigue, only the k701 crosses the line to annoying/painful.

AKG can and should address these problems through rigorous product testing.

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #57 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Patently false"? Not at all. When listening to the K701s, in certain songs and certain passages the experience becomes painful, in contrast to other phones. The frequency response chart at headroom is not very accurate beyond 10khz, due to data smoothing and the testing ear apparatus which does not account for variations in individual listener anatomy. While I can't claim it is universally true, many K701 users report similar tics and annoyances, and listening to them for any period of time you begin to notice that something is definitely off, there are some strange peaks that shouldn't be there. I have the HD800 and the RS1, and while both could be subjectively described as "bright" headphones and while both the k701 and the RS1 cause fatigue, only the k701 crosses the line to annoying/painful.

AKG can and should address these problems through rigorous product testing.

You know, there are a lot of K 701/702 proponents on this forum, so your impression isn't universally valid. Different ears are different, as you hinted youself.

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #58 of 228
For the record, spikes at ~6k are common because its a range people commonly have hearing loss. Probably has somethign to do with equal loudness too, but I am too lazy to google the equal loudness thingy.
If you have tinnitus there though (also very common), you might want something with less of it.

I guess anyway... It could just be a weird coincidence.

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #59 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, there are a lot of K 701/702 proponents on this forum, so your impression isn't universally valid. Different ears are different, as you hinted youself.

I'd count myself among the K701 proponents as I love those headphones, in moderation. However I'm not a fan of the with-us-or-against-us fanboyism mentality.

Jan 9, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #60 of 228
The 701/2 are very very sensitive to amplification source (as full dynamic drivers). I had a chance to listening to my 702 on a very good amps and not SO fit well amps too.
wink.gif
Some amps do create phase distortion or phase-frequency distortion, this will be one of the first, or one of many reasons to show spikes all over the frequency range and the most noticed area will be first the upper mids, the highs and the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back