WA22 internal pictures?
Feb 13, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #76 of 92

Quote:
 Thanks for the validation Skylab. I'm trying to understand SP Wild's tenacious insistence that the WA22 in not balanced when it so obviously is. To state incorrect information as fact does not serve the community well, especially when its directed at the product and reputation of a sponsor.

What's under discussion is the output section.  The amplification section is no doubt differential/push-pull, which is more "balanced" (whatever this term has come to mean) than the Balancing Act's single ended active section for example.   The output however, has both channels' wires connected to the TRS ground.  If the TRS jack disconnects the two wires when no 1/4" plug is inserted, then there could potentially be a benefit to rewiring your headphones (if they're not already grounded. either way, it's not a grounded center tapped transformer).  If the TRS jack always connects the two wires together, then there's no difference (and not balanced in terms of CMR from the amp-to-headphone, does that matter for the ~3 feet ? I don't know). 

All these discussions are just for technical knowledge, it doesn't take away that I think the WA22 is an incredibly awesome sounding amp (my impressions).  It's made me a Woo fan, and wish I had went woo all these years.

Feb 14, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #77 of 92

Quote:
What's under discussion is the output section.  The amplification section is no doubt differential/push-pull, which is more "balanced" (whatever this term has come to mean) than the Balancing Act's single ended active section for example.   The output however, has both channels' wires connected to the TRS ground.  If the TRS jack disconnects the two wires when no 1/4" plug is inserted, then there could potentially be a benefit to rewiring your headphones.  If the TRS jack always connects the two wires together, then there's no difference (and not balanced in terms of CMR from the amp-to-headphone, does that matter for the ~3 feet ? I don't know). 

All these discussions are just for technical knowledge, it doesn't take away that I think the WA22 is an incredibly awesome sounding amp (my impressions).  It's made me a Woo fan, and wish I had went woo all these years.

Thank you hozo for this clarification. Is this a possible easy DIY mod for those of us that don't need the 1/4" jack? i.e. remove this common connection?

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #79 of 92

Quote:
What about disconnect one of the ground wire to the TRS? Does that cause issues to the amp?

I may just disconnect th TRS since I only use the XLR out.

Be sure to let us know how that goes!

Feb 15, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #80 of 92

Quote:
What about disconnect one of the ground wire to the TRS? Does that cause issues to the amp?

I may just disconnect th TRS since I only use the XLR out.

This is what I was thinking also, just snip one wire so that the connection can be easily restored. Then you could leave the 1/4" jack in the front panel.

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #81 of 92
Most importantly though, report back if you hear any improvement after disconnecting TRS jack. It would be interesting to see if separate ground yields in audible difference not just in theory but in practice.

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #84 of 92
No, you posted "Beware of the impedance selector" and I'm curious why you said that. Why should I ask Mr. Woo to explain something you wrote? I think that having an impedance selector (and transformer wound for various impedances) is extremely cool, so why should caution be advised?

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #88 of 92
I heard that you were missed at last weekend's SF meet. I hope you're feeling better. I wish that I could have gone but it wasn't in the stars. I listened to my WA22 this morning. I had replaced the EML 5U4G mesh plate with NOS Mullard 5AR4/GZ34. I couldn't tell the difference. Maybe it was because I had only been awake for about 15 minutes.
rolleyes.gif
Boy that WA22 is a Tank of an amp--heavy! It is sort of like the Alpha Amp in my meager apartment.

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #89 of 92

Quote:
I heard that you were missed at last weekend's SF meet. I hope you're feeling better. I wish that I could have gone but it wasn't in the stars. I listened to my WA22 this morning. I had replaced the EML 5U4G mesh plate with NOS Mullard 5AR4/GZ34. I couldn't tell the difference. Maybe it was because I had only been awake for about 15 minutes.
rolleyes.gif
Boy that WA22 is a Tank of an amp--heavy! It is sort of like the Alpha Amp in my meager apartment.

Yeah, I hurt myself in the gym on Friday.  I was very sore and it hurt to move and it took all weekend to recover.  I really wish I could have been there.  Saw some of the pictures and it looked like everyone really had a good time.

Jack sent me my new EML yesterday and it should be here by Thursday.  I am getting the newer version and a backup in case something happens.

I'm talking to Jack about putting a pair of balanced output jacks on the back of my WA22 so I can listen through my speakers.  He says that there is something he will do to the optputs to optimize them for speakers vs. using the front which are optimized for headphones.

Regarding the comparison with your Millard and EML.  Maybe they do sound the same. How long have you had the Mullard in there?

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #90 of 92

Quote:
rolleyes.gif

The NOS Mullard GZ34 is a very nice tube, it has more impact than the EML 5U4G but with smaller soundstage.  I use it when I'm in the mode for rock and hiphop.  Not sure you noticed or not, the WA22 will run much warmer than with EMl 5U4G, I have asked Jack on this and he said is fine as the GZ34 draws more current and thus the amp will work harder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back