VSonic VSD1/VSD1S Reviews/Impression Thread
Dec 28, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #1,531 of 2,003
  Damn, looks like I opened up some old wounds there, lol. I appreciate all the hard work Kova put into the thread and Magnet for the dissenting opinion. 

I don't think I'd say at all that the 1S is "bad for metal" (prog metal drum work in particular sounds great with the tight bass), just that for my taste I miss some of the bass drum and low tom resonance and the soundstage seems a bit smaller. Other than those things I love them. Mids and highs are clear as day to me and I can separate everything easily. I just thought maybe the VSD1 could give me a bit of help in that area without changing the things I like about the sound profile. If it's not really worth the buy or not really that much of a difference, no problem, I'm happy with the 1S otherwise and I listen to a lot of other genres that they shine on. 

I have the VSD1S too. And they aren't 'bad' for metal. They do quite well actually. The bass could to with a little more impact but I love the mids and highs on most of my metal tracks(personal preference I guess). It stops just shy of being very good for metal. Now is the VSD1 a world of difference? Difference enough for one to switch from the VSD1S to the VSD1? I don't know as I haven't heard the VSD1. But I seriously doubt it(based on specs and reviews). I may be wrong though.

@IEMagnet01 : Headfi is all about honest opinions. But every reaction, opinion and piece of advice gets its tone and character from the way it is delivered. 
We are lucky to have people like @kova4a, who has heard all three versions and has contributed so so much to this thread. 

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #1,532 of 2,003
lol you kidding? Right? Because he says this, it's LAW? I completely disagree, and certainly won't change the way I hear things or bend over and kiss you know what because he's heard all three, because I heard two out of three, pretty sure the LE isn't going to provide much difference, and I stand by my opinion that the VSD1S is weak for metal. When you've reached the 35 years of listening to metal like I have, then come see me with wisdom. Until then, I'll respect your opinion, and gladly acquiesce, while listening to my TF10 and Whitesnake.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #1,533 of 2,003
lol you kidding? Right? Because he says this, it's LAW? I completely disagree, and certainly won't change the way I hear things or bend over and kiss you know what because he's heard all three, because I heard two out of three, pretty sure the LE isn't going to provide much difference, and I stand by my opinion that the VSD1S is weak for metal. When you've reached the 35 years of listening to metal like I have, then come see me with wisdom. Until then, I'll respect your opinion, and gladly acquiesce, while listening to my TF10 and Whitesnake.

ALL BOW DOWN TO 35 YEARS OLD METAL GURU

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #1,535 of 2,003
ALL BOW DOWN TO 35 YEARS OLD METAL GURU

Thanks! I wish I was 35! That would put me listening to Sabbath in the womb! lol unfortunately..that's not the case. But thanks again!

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #1,537 of 2,003
When you've reached the 35 years of listening to metal like I have, then come see me with wisdom. Until then, I'll respect your opinion, and gladly acquiesce, while listening to my TF10 and Whitesnake.

35 YEARS of listening to metal that you have ...I come with no wisdom like you....what would be the best of the bestest iem for metal say like Black Sabbath's War Pigs or Led Zep Bonham's drumming on Moby Dick/Bonzo's Montreux ?

Please do enlighten us with your wisdom.

What if I disagree ..would you be nice ...please please

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #1,538 of 2,003
35 YEARS of listening to metal that you have ...I come with no wisdom like you....what would be the best of the bestest iem for metal say like Black Sabbath's War Pigs or Led Zep Bonham's drumming on Moby Dick/Bonzo's Montreux ?

Please do enlighten us with your wisdom.

What if I disagree ..would you be nice ...please please

The Skullcandy Full METAL Jacket. Have fun!

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #1,540 of 2,003
Come on lads, leave eachother be. Its good to have different opinions on this thread, lets discuss it in an orderly fashion.

Since the VSD1 and VSD1S have the same driver etc, wouldn't it be possible to eq the bass of the VSD1S a bit up without it becoming bloated?

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #1,541 of 2,003
Come on lads, leave eachother be. Its good to have different opinions on this thread, lets discuss it in an orderly fashion.

Since the VSD1 and VSD1S have the same driver etc, wouldn't it be possible to eq the bass of the VSD1S a bit up without it becoming bloated?

VSD3

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #1,543 of 2,003
Whitesnake is my idea of metal
Dimmu Borgir is my idea of metal
Slipknot is my idea of metal
Megadeth is my idea of metal
Black Sabbath is my idea of metal
Children of Bodom is my idea of metal
Corrosion Of Comformity is my idea of metal
Old Man's Child is my idea of metal
Tryptykon is my idea of metal
Forbidden is my idea of metal
Ratt is my idea of metal
Satyricon is my idea of metal
Spiral Architect is my idea of metal
Iron Maiden is my idea of metal

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #1,544 of 2,003
Is this thread about the Vsonic VSD1 & VSD1S or about who has the biggest..er...amp?
It's ridiculous. Most of this 'Hobby' is purely subjective as every person hears differently and listens to different music and one person's trash is another's treasure.

So someone likes "good metal" and someone has crap taste, again, who cares?
Nobody can hear FOR someone else and the only way you'll know whether an IEM or Can is right for you is by trying it out.

Sheesh..

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #1,545 of 2,003
  Is this thread about the Vsonic VSD1 & VSD1S or about who has the biggest..er...amp?
It's ridiculous. Most of this 'Hobby' is purely subjective as every person hears differently and listens to different music and one person's trash is another's treasure.

So someone likes "good metal" and someone has crap taste, again, who cares?
Nobody can hear FOR someone else and the only way you'll know whether an IEM or Can is right for you is by trying it out.

Sheesh..

Yeah, +1 on that.
I think that there is not one single type of sound that makes certain genre of music the best. It still comes down to personal preference and two guys can go for two completely different signatures for exactly the same music.
Again I don't see why quoting your experience with metal or what someone considers metal gives someone more credibility but that's just me. 

I for one have absolutely no problem listening to stuff like Whitesnake, Deep Purple, Dio, Black Sabbath etc. on the ety er4s and I like it more than the vsonics. As I said, it's personal preference - someone might want something really V-shaped with a lot more bass like a tf10, for instance, while someone like me can go with something more balanced with less bass.
That personal preference doesn't really make someone lacking any understanding or knowledge in metal and rock music. I've been to concerts of all these bands and I know how they sound live. Now, these vsonics are great in the sense that they are smooth and pretty forgiving on badly recorded and mastered stuff and overall are more relaxing and non-fatiguing to listen to but there always will be someone who finds them not clear enough, or lacking bass, or having too much bass, or lacking in speed, or being sibilant etc., so if someone has the VSD1 or VSD1S and is wondering if he should get the other one - I would say that if you can sell yours without much loss and you really want to hear the other one out of curiosity, then go for it, otherwise you might want to look for a different iem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back