VSonic VSD1/VSD1S Reviews/Impression Thread
Dec 27, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #1,518 of 2,003
I'm still dealing with KEF customer service as they ask more questions and not enough " ok, send in your pair OR ok, we'll send you a new pair." Waiting...waiting.

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #1,521 of 2,003
I've really been enjoying my VSD1S (my first pair of VSonics) but there have been a few issues I'm curious about. I love the clarity and smooth mid-highs I get from them, but I feel them lacking a bit in the bass department, especially for Metal and Pop stuff. I don't get that deep bass impact and soundstage I get from some of the other more "fun" IEMs I've used. I get that from the Brainwavz S1, but it lacks the clarity of the VSonics and feels a bit more muddled. I'm looking for something in the middle of that so would the VSD1 be what I'm looking for, or is it too similar to the VSD1S? Maybe I should just wait for the VSD3? Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Dec 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #1,522 of 2,003
  I've really been enjoying my VSD1S (my first pair of VSonics) but there have been a few issues I'm curious about. I love the clarity and smooth mid-highs I get from them, but I feel them lacking a bit in the bass department, especially for Metal and Pop stuff. I don't get that deep bass impact and soundstage I get from some of the other more "fun" IEMs I've used. I get that from the Brainwavz S1, but it lacks the clarity of the VSonics and feels a bit more muddled. I'm looking for something in the middle of that so would the VSD1 be what I'm looking for, or is it too similar to the VSD1S? Maybe I should just wait for the VSD3? Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

I've been writing all over this thread that the VSD1S is NOT a good metal IEM. Thank you for coming forward to make the same statement I've been making for weeks. The VSD1 is better for metal, and sound much better for that genre. Some people here got the "KNOW IT ALL" complex, and do others a disservice by telling them the VSD1S is good for all genres ect ect. Now you found out this is B.S. Yes sir, the VSD1 would serve you well for metal. More bass, and better at presenting guitars with better separation. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #1,523 of 2,003
Why did you feel that you needed to bold certain words is beyond me? The VSD1 and VSD1S have the same drivers, the same housings and the same housings - there is a slight difference in the tuning but it's not like they are completely different iems with completely different sound that suddenly makes the VSD1S so much different and completely unusable for certain type of music in comparison to VSD1. If someone needs deeper bass and bigger soundstage he won't really get it from the VSD1 (which has a tad more mid-bass and slightly more laid back mids), he probably needs to check something more V-shaped with more bass. And no, the VSD1 doesn't have a very noticeable difference in separation - the VSD1LE does. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #1,524 of 2,003
  Why did you feel that you needed to bold certain words is beyond me? The VSD1 and VSD1S have the same drivers, the same housings and the same housings - there is a slight difference in the tuning but it's not like they are completely different iems with completely different sound that suddenly makes the VSD1S so much different and completely unusable for certain type of music in comparison to VSD1. If someone needs deeper bass and bigger soundstage he won't really get it from the VSD1 (which has a tad more mid-bass and slightly more laid back mids), he probably needs to check something more V-shaped with more bass. And no, the VSD1 doesn't have a very noticeable difference in separation - the VSD1LE does. 

Now that's YHO

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #1,525 of 2,003
I think I'll go with the opinion of those who listen to metal who have said that metal doesn't sound that great with their VSD1S. now that's MHO

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #1,527 of 2,003
  I think I'll go with the opinion of those who listen to metal who have said that metal doesn't sound that great with their VSD1S. now that's MHO

? What's up with my opinion? I listen to metal, so what's the problem - how many other people do you know who own both and told you that the VSD1S is not good for metal while the VSD1 is a completely different sounding iem that sounds awesome with metal? The chance there is someone else with the opinion that slightly more mid-bass, slightly more laid back mids and very slightly more boosted treble, suddenly makes the VSD1 completely different and so much better with metal is very slim. Most likely if someone doesn't likely the VSD1S, he should look for a different iem unless it's really those very small differences that completely ruin his experience.

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #1,528 of 2,003
  ? What's up with my opinion? I listen to metal, so what's the problem - how many other people do you know who own both and told you that the VSD1S is not good for metal while the VSD1 is a completely different sounding iem that sounds awesome with metal? The chance there is someone else with the opinion that slightly more mid-bass, slightly more laid back mids and very slightly more boosted treble, suddenly makes the VSD1 completely different and so much better with metal is very slim. Most likely if someone doesn't likely the VSD1S, he should look for a different iem unless it's really those very small differences that completely ruin his experience.

Yes. Look at the KEF M200, but that's a bit more spendy, so maybe the AT-IM50?? They seem to be getting quite a bit of hype for a $60-70 IEM.

Dec 28, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #1,529 of 2,003
Damn, looks like I opened up some old wounds there, lol. I appreciate all the hard work Kova put into the thread and Magnet for the dissenting opinion. 

I don't think I'd say at all that the 1S is "bad for metal" (prog metal drum work in particular sounds great with the tight bass), just that for my taste I miss some of the bass drum and low tom resonance and the soundstage seems a bit smaller. Other than those things I love them. Mids and highs are clear as day to me and I can separate everything easily. I just thought maybe the VSD1 could give me a bit of help in that area without changing the things I like about the sound profile. If it's not really worth the buy or not really that much of a difference, no problem, I'm happy with the 1S otherwise and I listen to a lot of other genres that they shine on. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #1,530 of 2,003
  Damn, looks like I opened up some old wounds there, lol. I appreciate all the hard work Kova put into the thread and Magnet for the dissenting opinion. 

I don't think I'd say at all that the 1S is "bad for metal" (prog metal drum work in particular sounds great with the tight bass), just that for my taste I miss some of the bass drum and low tom resonance and the soundstage seems a bit smaller. Other than those things I love them. Mids and highs are clear as day to me and I can separate everything easily. I just thought maybe the VSD1 could give me a bit of help in that area without changing the things I like about the sound profile. If it's not really worth the buy or not really that much of a difference, no problem, I'm happy with the 1S otherwise and I listen to a lot of other genres that they shine on. 

darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back