VSONIC VC1000 - new dual BA IEM - Info & expectations thread
Jan 8, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #272 of 341
Hi,
I am a newbie here and i am looking to buy new iems, i have been using denon ahd 510 for quite few years now. my budget is $150. i have narrowed down choice to gr07 and vc1000.
i listen to the following bands
Metal: Opeth, Meshuggah, Textures, Sikth, Soilwork, Gojira, Nile, bloodbath
Rock: Tool, NIN, Porcupine tree, Animals as leaders,Isis, Deftones,Death cab for Cutie
Blues; B.B King, Eric Clapton

i am looking for a neutral and balanced sound. 
I have gone through the various posts here but im nowhere closer to make a decision.

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #274 of 341
I am just like everyone else here, debating between the GR07 MKII and the VC1000, the VC1000 seem like they would be nicer purely from a size standpoint but I have a few questions. How much do you actually notice the size of the GR07? How hard is it to wear the VC1000 and GR07 over the ear as opposed to straight down, I would be using whatever I get as my main IEM for working out and just listening so I want to wear over the ear to minimize microphonics. For working out and being active the smaller size and lighter weight of the VC1000 seems that it would be an advantage, but is it really? That's all I have for now, hope to decide in a day or 2.

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #275 of 341
  I am just like everyone else here, debating between the GR07 MKII and the VC1000, the VC1000 seem like they would be nicer purely from a size standpoint but I have a few questions. How much do you actually notice the size of the GR07? How hard is it to wear the VC1000 and GR07 over the ear as opposed to straight down, I would be using whatever I get as my main IEM for working out and just listening so I want to wear over the ear to minimize microphonics. For working out and being active the smaller size and lighter weight of the VC1000 seems that it would be an advantage, but is it really? That's all I have for now, hope to decide in a day or 2.

Can't speak for GR07, but you can easily wear VC1000 up or down. I prefer up to minimize microphonics. I also made a DIY chin slider on it using electric tape - wrap around the cable once with sticky side out, then wrap around that with the sticky side in.

May 7, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #276 of 341
Just want to give an update: I've been using the VC1000 everyday for the past year or so and they are as great as the first day I got them.  I recommend the VC1000 to everyone and have not had one issue with build quality.

Huge, HUGE fan here.

May 22, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #280 of 341
I'm getting a new set soon and I'm also planning to reshell them and be done searching for new IEMs.

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #281 of 341
I didn't know they were discontinued, I still see them for sale by bigbargainonline on eBay. I did a lot of shopping after I lost my Sennheiser CX-300, a very mediocre IEM that was pretty uncomfortable. I really didn't think it was worth spending more than 50 bucks on IEM till I bought these. I came across the Klipsch X11i, which were the most comfortable IEM I have ever tried, but the price was astonishing at $350 retail. Even local brick and mortar shops offered 20% off. They were better by a short shot than the 7i and below, and much more comfortable. Anyway, I figured out they are only single armature, so I decide I needed to look at dual. The TDK BA-2000 came up, but they were out of production. So I did a lot more internet research and decided that I should try the Etymotics HF-5, Final Audio Designs Heaven Series, and finally, came across the VC-02, then the VC-1000. The Hi-Fi Man RE-400 came up a lot too, as well as the others mentioned in this thread. I bought them from bigbargainonline and they showed up two and half weeks later. The Final Audio Designs, I really wished I saw those, they are effing sexy, but the measurements are awful. The Etymotics get horrible reviews for falling apart basically, so no way. They are jerks for not having a dealer network anyway, they really need it. I kept coming back to the Klipsch, but the price, ridiculous. I took a chance on Vsonic, $125.00 shipping included. If they were as good as the Klipsch, what a deal. If they never showed up, oh well. bigbargainonline came through, responded to eBay emails, I'm happy. Turns out they are better than the Klipsch X11i by a good margin. 

They sounded rough out of the box, but after 5 hours they started sounding great. The instrument separation was amazing, they sounded very fast, and the bass was picking up the more they broke in. The highs were very pleasant, male vocals were better than female, but even that evened out over time. (I've owned these for two months.) I *thought* the soundstage was pretty great, but after listening to my real hi-fi setup and loudspeakers, I realized there is a serious phase coherency issue, not that I would of ever noticed before. (Again, I am not an serious audiophile.) I can't believe these cans don't get much respect, but my preference is for balanced armature for IEM. They are friggin tiny, like IEM should be, they are way faster than dynamic, and like closed acoustic suspension speakers, the rub is that they lack bass, but a dual-driver version might do the trick I thought. I was right, these things have deep tight heavy bass. So dynamic, they make dynamic IEM seen not dynamic. Pretty massive sound, totally unexpected for something so tiny. I was pretty amazed at the articulation and detail at first, the bass slam second, male vocals third, piano sounded as great as I've ever heard, female vocals were very decent. What about the high-end? Well, it wasn't really tiring, I'm just an on-again and off-again audio guy, when I need to buy, I check out as much as I can, but I'm not on it everyday. In fact this is my first post on head-fi.org. I'll say I've been listening to more music than I have in years with these babies. I tried the NAD VISO 50 at my local shop The Audio Lab in Cambridge MA, and thought those were way too sharp in the highs, and those are the best rated closed back full size headphone on the market. (I thought the KEF M500 was nicer, and I tried the KEF M200 IEM, but they didn't fit.)

I'm sad to say that Klipsch's patented oval-ear tips are perfection when it comes to IEM tips, and even the Comply TX-100's in small that I managed to shove on are not as comfortable or as isolating. They are scary isolating enough, I certainly can't have a conversation with people with them in. I got the wax ear protection version of Comply, it is slightly smoother, but it could be my imagination, because I started using them on my Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13 and I realized that it was a better source than my iPhone 5s. Anyway, I recommend the smallest bore Comply you can buy, these things are tiny. I do notice that when I pull them out, they are oval, and Klipsch has a really obvious patent. The Comply isn't as comfortable as the Klipsch tips, but I haven't tried the Klipsch for extended periods though. The Comply was huge comfort improvement over the stock tips though. The Vsonic package was extremely nice, but I am not using any of the accessories. I made my own chin harness or cinch or whatever out of electrical tape like another reviewer, and it's too bad Vsonic doesn't do that for you. I could not care less about pause play microphone buttons, and clips are a waste of time. I know Vsonic is trying, the VC-02 looked tempting, but the detachable cable fiasco, oh well. 

Things to improve: The VC-1000 wears well up or down, but the angle of the wire coming out the barrel is a bit conservative. Instead of 45 degrees, I would try 35. I'm convinced polarity doesn't make a damn difference and the nice thing is once you get over shoving these things down your ear hole, placement doesn't matter. Good seal is good seal at 2mm in or 5mm. The reason I would like 35 degrees is that it would be more comfortable sleeping, ha ha. Yes, that good. If Vsonic works on the phase coherency or time alignment, these would replace anything! I'd put a chin chinch thing on it, paint one can a different color because the color doesn't matter, they disappear in your ear anyway. The little nub on the right can is clever, keep that, but color coding would help as well. The sound signature is perfect, don't change a thing. I would make my own version of foam tips with wax guard and dump metal grille, and provide only those tips. 

I'm really happy with them, and while I've been looking around from everything from Audeze LCD-X to Sennheiser HD 600 since then, the Vsonic VC-1000 are total keepers, always in my pocket or work bag. Amazing sound for the price and size. They are better in every way than the Klipsch X11i's except fit, for almost one-third the price. They are so good I'm curious about the GR-01, but I learned the VC-1000 is a later model, and I'm sure newest is greatest when it comes to this particular segment of IEM. 

The only other issue aside from time phase alignment coherency is that they break up or clip badly at max volume on portable devices, but 2 steps down from max is clear and deafening anyway. It's probably something to do with the very low resistance, it's not an issue actually. These are close to as good as it gets with phones or laptops. 

Jun 2, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #282 of 341
For anyone who've listened to both the GR07s and VC1000s how do they compare to one another? The fit on the GR07 was quite uncomfortable for me and my ears would get sore despite having it worn for almost a year. I decided to buy these VC1000s since it wear style will be much more comfortable for me and supposedly the isolation is better.

Also, I adored the GR07s soundstage and from my viewpoint people do say that they prefer the GR07 if they were sold at the same price but for $120 hopefully I'll be satisfied with the VC1000s. I've read some comments in this thread stating that they had issues with the channel balance of the IEMs which have me worried. How long have you guys owned this for? I'm hoping they at least last me a year or two. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #283 of 341
  For anyone who've listened to both the GR07s and VC1000s how do they compare to one another? The fit on the GR07 was quite uncomfortable for me and my ears would get sore despite having it worn for almost a year. I decided to buy these VC1000s since it wear style will be much more comfortable for me and supposedly the isolation is better.

Also, I adored the GR07s soundstage and from my viewpoint people do say that they prefer the GR07 if they were sold at the same price but for $120 hopefully I'll be satisfied with the VC1000s. I've read some comments in this thread stating that they had issues with the channel balance of the IEMs which have me worried. How long have you guys owned this for? I'm hoping they at least last me a year or two. 

Joker may help you with that... but I can say soundstage is not a VC1000's strength. But they are great with the rest :)

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #284 of 341

I perfer the mids and treble on the VC1000, and I don't know how they did it with a BA, but the bass is pretty similar. I do find them an easier fit and with better isolation. I'm wearing them straight down though at a desk. That works well. Isolation is still not on the level of Shure or Etymotic. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #285 of 341

I perfer the mids and treble on the VC1000, and I don't know how they did it with a BA, but the bass is pretty similar. I do find them an easier fit and with better isolation. I'm wearing them straight down though at a desk. That works well. Isolation is still not on the level of Shure or Etymotic. 

The fit of the GR07 did just not fit well for me. How comfortable are the VC1000s though? Can  you easily wear them for hours without any issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back