VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #4,051 of 7,982
I need to ask a few questions which might have been answered previously in this thread, but 271 pages are impossible for me to read through at the moment, so I apologize if my questions are repetitive...

I'm considering getting a Vsonic GR07 MK2 for my girlfriend, so comfort is my topmost priority. How comfortable is GR07 MK2 (especially comparisons to SM3 v2 would be great)? The square shaped housing of the GR07 worries me as the square shaped SM3 v1 was quite uncomfortable for me and my girlfriend, but SM3 v2 has no comfort issues. Is the housing of GR07 MK2 smaller than SM3 v1's as the pictures imply?

Has the sibilance issue been solved in the MK2 version? 

Does GR07 MK2 require an amp? My girlfriend will use with her Sony mp3 player (N series walkman)...

Thanks in advance for replies.

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #4,052 of 7,982
The GR07 is much smaller than the SM3 V1 and more importantly more ergonomic due to the adjustable nozzle. Definitely less sibilance (I hate to say it but I actually like the cutting edge upper mids/lower treble of the GR07 myself. But the MK2 cable is a dream comfort wise.

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #4,053 of 7,982
Does anybody want to sell me their unused double flange tips? I am looking for an extra pair or two of the supplied double flange tips for my GR01.

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #4,054 of 7,982
Quote:
Does anybody want to sell me their unused double flange tips? I am looking for an extra pair or two of the supplied double flange tips for my GR01.

I'll trade mine for your CKM500 
tongue.gif

PM me your address...I don't use mine.

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #4,055 of 7,982
I think the CKM500's are worth a little more than a single pair of tips. I would be interested in buying your double flange tips if you really dont want them.
Quote:

I'll trade mine for your CKM500 
tongue.gif

PM me your address...I don't use mine.

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #4,056 of 7,982
hey guys i havent been on ths forum since my gr07 mk2's arrived nad they were great until today. Today i was using them and they were perfectly fine, i droped them on the table and went to get a drink of water, when i came back the left arbud had cut out.

Is there anything i can do about this? They are still under warranty so i can send them back but i would rather find a fix than get a new pair and have to burn them in again.
Thanks!

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #4,057 of 7,982
I need to ask a few questions which might have been answered previously in this thread, but 271 pages are impossible for me to read through at the moment, so I apologize if my questions are repetitive...

I'm considering getting a Vsonic GR07 MK2 for my girlfriend, so comfort is my topmost priority. How comfortable is GR07 MK2 (especially comparisons to SM3 v2 would be great)? The square shaped housing of the GR07 worries me as the square shaped SM3 v1 was quite uncomfortable for me and my girlfriend, but SM3 v2 has no comfort issues. Is the housing of GR07 MK2 smaller than SM3 v1's as the pictures imply?

Has the sibilance issue been solved in the MK2 version? 

Does GR07 MK2 require an amp? My girlfriend will use with her Sony mp3 player (N series walkman)...

Thanks in advance for replies.

Sibilance will partly come down to how well your player pairs with GR07. If it has lower output impedance you'll notice less sibilance, if it's lacking power you'll hear more. Knowing these MK2 need 200-300 hours break in for the bio-cellulose drivers they can be slightly edgy during the break in period, though yes it has improved. What also needs a mention is they're 50ohms and appreciate extra power to sound full and dynamic. The reason we see a lot of reports about GRO7 sounding thin is because they're not pairing them up with decent powered headphone outs, for example a Clip+.

Sure it drives them... but how well? I know the differences.

For your application I would probably also consider Yamaha EPH-100 which take comfort to somewhat new levels over GR07. Not to mention they're easier to drive and you won't experience problems driving them from your Sony MP3 player.

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #4,059 of 7,982
Quote:
The GR07 is much smaller than the SM3 V1 and more importantly more ergonomic due to the adjustable nozzle. Definitely less sibilance (I hate to say it but I actually like the cutting edge upper mids/lower treble of the GR07 myself. But the MK2 cable is a dream comfort wise.

Thanks. That's a relief to hear.

Quote:
Sibilance will partly come down to how well your player pairs with GR07. If it has lower output impedance you'll notice less sibilance, if it's lacking power you'll hear more. Knowing these MK2 need 200-300 hours break in for the bio-cellulose drivers they can be slightly edgy during the break in period, though yes it has improved. What also needs a mention is they're 50ohms and appreciate extra power to sound full and dynamic. The reason we see a lot of reports about GRO7 sounding thin is because they're not pairing them up with decent powered headphone outs, for example a Clip+.
Sure it drives them... but how well? I know the differences.
For your application I would probably also consider Yamaha EPH-100 which take comfort to somewhat new levels over GR07. Not to mention they're easier to drive and you won't experience problems driving them from your Sony MP3 player.

How would EPH-100 and GR07 compare soundwise? I think my girlfriend would like the look of EPH-100 more, so I'm leaning towards that, but would I be sacrificing sound quality if I choose it over GR07?

Also, some people claimed EPH-100 needs deep insertion, is that true? If it is it may not be the right one for me.

Likewise, someone said it has bloated bass, is that true?

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #4,060 of 7,982
How would EPH-100 and GR07 compare soundwise? I think my girlfriend would like the look of EPH-100 more, so I'm leaning towards that, but would I be sacrificing sound quality if I choose it over GR07?

Also, some people claimed EPH-100 needs deep insertion, is that true? If it is it may not be the right one for me.

Likewise, someone said it has bloated bass, is that true?

EPH-100 has a fun signature, coming from GR07 the bass can sound bloated slightly in the mid-bass section, which gives it a decent amount of punch, it can also reach fairly deep in sub-bass. The bass is emphasized so one cannot call them a balanced IEM in comparison, though I think bloated is the wrong word. It still has good texture and tone though can be a little loose compared to GRO7. EPH excels in micro detail, soundstage depth, separation with a liquid style mid range, they're very "fun" yet laid back and smooth. Very silk like signature. I wouldn't say you'd be sacrificing sound quality though going for a completely different signature. GR07 cannot keep up with EPH separation, though EPH cannot come near GR07's treble but is never sibilant.

The insertion is no deeper for me than any other IEM, I've never felt need to push them any further than getting a seal. Possibly a touch further than GRO7.

If you haven't read ljokerl's take in them have read under Tier 2B

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-252-iems-compared-jvc-ha-fx40-and-ha-fxd80-added-09-05-12

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #4,061 of 7,982
I own both the EPH-100 and the GR07. I agree with what H20Fidelity's wrote above, and I'd like to add that I find the EPH-100 a better all rounder for easy listening (I use mine on a daily basis on my way from home to work and back, just plugged to my RB Clip+). The GR07 is a better IEM for Rock/Metal and specially with drums, and I use it mainly at home for more serious listening, as I find it's technically better and it improves a bit in a higher quality system. Both are really great, and I'm really happy I have both!

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #4,063 of 7,982
H20Fidelity, I just noticed you already have your EX600 for sale... Head-Fi wins, again! :D

Yep, they let me down in areas. :D It's taken a few weeks of experimentation and I prefer GR07. (and others)

You can read why and my final verdict here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/556569/sony-mdr-ex600-impressions-appreciations-and-cake-not-included/1230#post_8704305

My GR07 MK2 cable has begun turning green too, it's gone a really dark grey colour and is already becoming stiff and less flexible.

I'll grab some pics and compare it to the open box ones I have soon. :xf_eek:

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #4,064 of 7,982
Quote:
It seems that VSONIC couldn't get the GR07 Bass first production batch to be ready in time to ship on the 15th (as promised in the pre-order), according to their CEO. Those of you in Chine that bought the GR07 Bass in the pre-order deal know anything about this?

Thanks for the reminder. Original post linked for reference: http://weibo.com/1758406167/yCbDH6HTN.
Guy claims that they lack a "material" currently and can't assemble the GR07 bass version, and says those who have preordered would have to wait for "a several days".

Though, makes me wonder, what kind of special "material" do they lack?
Considering the bass edition would share pretty much components with the original MK2 version, I guess that one material they're claiming to not have would be the driver?

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #4,065 of 7,982
Prolly the driver... Apple has used them all up in the New EarPods.

LOLz, Jim

Thanks for the reminder. Original post linked for reference: http://weibo.com/1758406167/yCbDH6HTN.

Guy claims that they lack a "material" currently and can't assemble the GR07 bass version, and says those who have preordered would have to wait for "a several days".

Though, makes me wonder, what kind of special "material" do they lack?

Considering the bass edition would share pretty much components with the original MK2 version, I guess that one material they're claiming to not have would be the driver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back