VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
May 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #3,226 of 7,982
With this post, I'll make 1,500, become a Headphoneus Supremus, and ascend to Mount Olympus to take my place among the gods of Head-Fi.

So, I figured I'd dedicate it to my favorite headphone of all time, the GR07. I started off with all sorts of different headphones, ranging from the Meelectronics to the Shure SE215. When I first got the GR07, I wasn't impressed. It was only a few days later when I let the GR07 really show me my music that I began to fall in love, and a few months later I was writing this declaration of love. In the 9 months since I got my GR07 I've tried many different comparable IEMs, but none of them really have that GR07 magic. It's been truly a pleasure listening to it, and although I've parted ways with it temporarily to try other things, I'm sure we'll meet again.

#1 GR07 fanboy

May 27, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #3,227 of 7,982
Doublea71,
If these aren't defective or fake gr07's, then I'd have to admit that maybe a bad seal is to blame. But let me ask this, did your gr07 come in a kind of cheap looking box when you bought it? I noticed that it had a dull, worn look to the outer plastic box and it appeared that a paper seal on one end flap may have been broken. The dull look appeared to be the peel off protective plastic found over shiny finishes on appliances or electronics, but I didn't try peeling it back to see. I mean as far as packaging it appeared it could be a fake, but you could tell me if this is the way the package normally looks? Plus the inner felt board and foam plastic inside looked pretty cheap.

I have to say that the reaction to my critique is rather bizarre. Here I am offering an opinion of an inanimate object, and I'm getting personal attacks as if I had said something about a loved one. Maybe some of you guys ought to take a breath and look in the mirror. Would you do that at a party for example if someone talked about a lemon of a product they just bought? I hope not.

Doublea71, I appreciate your civil response. The source material is a mix of lossless such as Linn Records and up sampled mp3. In my opinion the Cambridge DacMagic does a superb job of upsampling to 128k sample rate so that the well recorded 16/44 can sound very good indeed. Jennifer Warnes' "The Well" for example has a huge open soundstage with her vocals having a clarity, presence, detail which is remarkable. Most CD's in the Chesky catalogue have this well recorded, balanced presentation of instruments and vocals where all are easily separated in their natural positions in the recording's venue. The 10th anniversary Chesky CD which was issued many years ago is a great example of the quality music and recording i appreciate; I recommend any here try to find a copy. These audiophile quality recordings transcend a particular format- to a degree- when played back with quality electronics and transducers, be they full range speakers or various earphones.

The Audeze LCD-2 are very balanced but have a strong, very controlled bass which is just exciting to listen to on bass rich recordings They are simply true to whatever is there in the source and handle the lower octaves with ease. And so, no, I am not looking for a colored reproduction of a musical experience to answer the question. For whatever reason, the GR07 I listened to are nothing like what most everyone's experience has been. I won't repeat my impressions because I don't need the grief.

Lastly, and I'm done here, is if seal were the problem, which it could be, then going through a bunch of the foam inserts and having a fit in the outer ear cannel that felt sealed did not bring them to a sound which I would call anywhere near the real musical experience. Nor did it surpass the comp IEM which apparently seals well to my ears. It's too bad because I had really looked forward to getting them. Such is life.

May 27, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #3,228 of 7,982
Quote:
Doublea71,
If these aren't defective or fake gr07's, then I'd have to admit that maybe a bad seal is to blame. But let me ask this, did your gr07 come in a kind of cheap looking box when you bought it? I noticed that it had a dull, worn look to the outer plastic box and it appeared that a paper seal on one end flap may have been broken. The dull look appeared to be the peel off protective plastic found over shiny finishes on appliances or electronics, but I didn't try peeling it back to see. I mean as far as packaging it appeared it could be a fake, but you could tell me if this is the way the package normally looks? Plus the inner felt board and foam plastic inside looked pretty cheap.
I have to say that the reaction to my critique is rather bizarre. Here I am offering an opinion of an inanimate object, and I'm getting personal attacks as if I had said something about a loved one. Maybe some of you guys ought to take a breath and look in the mirror. Would you do that at a party for example if someone talked about a lemon of a product they just bought? I hope not.
Doublea71, I appreciate your civil response. The source material is a mix of lossless such as Linn Records and up sampled mp3. In my opinion the Cambridge DacMagic does a superb job of upsampling to 128k sample rate so that the well recorded 16/44 can sound very good indeed. Jennifer Warnes' "The Well" for example has a huge open soundstage with her vocals having a clarity, presence, detail which is remarkable. Most CD's in the Chesky catalogue have this well recorded, balanced presentation of instruments and vocals where all are easily separated in their natural positions in the recording's venue. The 10th anniversary Chesky CD which was issued many years ago is a great example of the quality music and recording i appreciate; I recommend any here try to find a copy. These audiophile quality recordings transcend a particular format- to a degree- when played back with quality electronics and transducers, be they full range speakers or various earphones.
The Audeze LCD-2 are very balanced but have a strong, very controlled bass which is just exciting to listen to on bass rich recordings They are simply true to whatever is there in the source and handle the lower octaves with ease. And so, no, I am not looking for a colored reproduction of a musical experience to answer the question. For whatever reason, the GR07 I listened to are nothing like what most everyone's experience has been. I won't repeat my impressions because I don't need the grief.
Lastly, and I'm done here, is if seal were the problem, which it could be, then going through a bunch of the foam inserts and having a fit in the outer ear cannel that felt sealed did not bring them to a sound which I would call anywhere near the real musical experience. Nor did it surpass the comp IEM which apparently seals well to my ears. It's too bad because I had really looked forward to getting them. Such is life.

Give different tips a try!  The GR07 is actually extremely sensitive with fit and the tips used.  Again, I'll say this - the are anything but "tinny" if they're seated properly.

Are there any other tips other than the supplied ones you can try?  Though I'd be surprised if you can't get a fit with the zillions of tips that it comes with...

May 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #3,229 of 7,982
Has anyone had an issue with the cables of these having a bit of 'memory' and not staying flush to your head?

It seems for whatever reason, the natural tendency of the cables is to lean away from my head -_-'' 

Because of this the cable never stays over my ear! If i ever buy again i think ill stick with the traditional hang from the ear, instead of loop over the ear cables :p

May 27, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #3,230 of 7,982
Quote:
Doublea71,

It's pretty simple - you don't like them. People are overly protective of their favorite gear, which is a bit silly since we're talking about a subjective experience and yes, inanimate objects. My set came in pretty much the same condition - I think the Vietnamese customs opened it up and decided they weren't contraband. Well, it ain't the source, that's for sure. Anyways, happy hunting - most of us seem to find something that we really like eventually. I'm sure you could sell them on here if you aren't able to return them. Cheers!

May 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #3,231 of 7,982
Has anyone had an issue with the cables of these having a bit of 'memory' and not staying flush to your head?

It seems for whatever reason, the natural tendency of the cables is to lean away from my head -_-'' 

Because of this the cable never stays over my ear! If i ever buy again i think ill stick with the traditional hang from the ear, instead of loop over the ear cables :p

I'm not sure there's anyone who posted in this thread who hasn't. Use the ear guides. If you've always been using straight down IEM's, it's an adjustment.

May 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #3,232 of 7,982
Quote:
With this post, I'll make 1,500, become a Headphoneus Supremus, and ascend to Mount Olympus to take my place among the gods of Head-Fi.

So, I figured I'd dedicate it to my favorite headphone of all time, the GR07. I started off with all sorts of different headphones, ranging from the Meelectronics to the Shure SE215. When I first got the GR07, I wasn't impressed. It was only a few days later when I let the GR07 really show me my music that I began to fall in love, and a few months later I was writing this declaration of love. In the 9 months since I got my GR07 I've tried many different comparable IEMs, but none of them really have that GR07 magic. It's been truly a pleasure listening to it, and although I've parted ways with it temporarily to try other things, I'm sure we'll meet again.

#1 GR07 fanboy

that is exactly what i went through, when i listened to them at first, I was so dissapointed I wanted to return them, but i'm glad I gave them a few days xD

May 28, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #3,234 of 7,982
Quote:
What are your settings on Cowon Player J3/S9 with GR07?
I havent been able to find one good proper setting or a perfectly compatible settings that go along with this IEM. Please guide

I just got it so I'm still playing around with the eq and jet effects. It kind of depends on the file, too -some just sound better than others. If you can get good stuff like MFSL cd rips (Music Fidelity Sound Labs - high quality stuff), you're probably not going to mess around with the eq much. I think the jet effects "headphone" setting sounds pretty good for a simple solution to your question. If you like more bass, the "blues" has a nice thump.

May 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #3,236 of 7,982
Quote:
does anyone have a frequency response for these?

Results of a quick search:

VSONIC GR07

Specifications
Driver Type: 11mm CCAW Dynamic w/ Multi-layers Bio-celluose Diaphragm
Frequency Response: 7Hz-30KHz
Sensitivity: 105dB
Impedance: 50Ω
Cable: 1.3m|Silver
Connector: Gold-plated L-plug
Warranty: 1 year

May 28, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #3,237 of 7,982
Quote:

Results of a quick search:

VSONIC GR07

Specifications
Driver Type: 11mm CCAW Dynamic w/ Multi-layers Bio-celluose Diaphragm
Frequency Response: 7Hz-30KHz
Sensitivity: 105dB
Impedance: 50Ω
Cable: 1.3m|Silver
Connector: Gold-plated L-plug
Warranty: 1 year

I think he means the graph. I haven't seen it anywhere.

May 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #3,238 of 7,982
If legend is to be believed, the Focal Grande Utopia (maybe BE) will show you the way...

How the heck hasn't someone measured these yet???

May 29, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #3,240 of 7,982
Quote:
I just got it so I'm still playing around with the eq and jet effects. It kind of depends on the file, too -some just sound better than others. If you can get good stuff like MFSL cd rips (Music Fidelity Sound Labs - high quality stuff), you're probably not going to mess around with the eq much. I think the jet effects "headphone" setting sounds pretty good for a simple solution to your question. If you like more bass, the "blues" has a nice thump.

Slightly off topic, but I've had the Cowon J3 for a week and a half now, and I've tried every variation of setting I could come up with (with the GR07s), and just when I think I"ve got it sounding great, I'll switch over and play the same selection on my Sansa Fuze, and the difference is like night and day.  The Cowon sounds flat and analytical (by comparaison); the Sansa sound full and musical. I'm tempted to return them before the 30 day window runs out, but I want to love them.   Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back