VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #2,161 of 7,982

Quote:
Hi, you guys might think this is a newbie question, but I am just curious how the GR07s sound for the Hiphop, Rap, Electro, House, and Dance music genres? Because those are the main genres of music I listen to, and I am interested to know because I have read plenty of positive reviews all saying the GR07s are really good. In specific, I would like to know if the bass on these would suffice to allow me to really enjoy those music genres. Thanks alot.

It really depends on your source.  To me, the GR07s aren't that great if you're just using an iPod/iPhone type source.  If you're using something that has a legit EQ like a Cowon J3/S9, then absolutely, they are fantastic for hip hop/rap/etc.  I listen to hip hop about 90% of the time and I love the GR07s as long as I'm using my J3 w/ a little tweaking towards adding bass.  The GR07s are balanced for the most part, but they can go REALLY low and hit with the best of them if you feed them the right source!

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #2,162 of 7,982

Quote:

It really depends on your source.  To me, the GR07s aren't that great if you're just using an iPod/iPhone type source.  If you're using something that has a legit EQ like a Cowon J3/S9, then absolutely, they are fantastic for hip hop/rap/etc.  I listen to hip hop about 90% of the time and I love the GR07s as long as I'm using my J3 w/ a little tweaking towards adding bass.  The GR07s are balanced for the most part, but they can go REALLY low and hit with the best of them if you feed them the right source!

I have to agree 100% My Sony sounds considerable better than on my nano with this one

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #2,164 of 7,982
FYI EQu has been recently improved. Now you can use your remote inline control buttons as well as play/pause from the locked screen.

I find it to be very useful these days, with very few deficiencies.

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #2,166 of 7,982
Quote:
wow, i couldn't tell the difference between FLAC, 320MP3 and 192MP3 with my Hippo VBs, but with the GR07s, its obvious

Resolution ! 
etysmile.gif

Dec 15, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #2,167 of 7,982
I am wondering if anyone using EQ in their portable players? If yes, what kinds of differences you make?

I was listening my GR-07 through my rockboxed Fuze v2 from the date of purchase and use the EQ, untill today.

After turning the EQ off and neutralising the Bass and Treble settings, the sound became less involving and less lively (also less colored). But also what happened after turning the EQ off, I have started to hear very tiny details that were normally hidden in the tracks, this is strange for me. But I will try to take coffee without sugar for today, if my ears start to love this setting I will go on.

Please share your experiences my friends.

Also I made 4 different custom tips yesterday. Now I am using my GR-07 with a great quality blue foam tip. These foams are normally given to the patients who went for MR (the MR that I went through in an hospital were producing high levels of noises). I have never seen this kind of quality foams before (much better than Comply as well). So I have drilled it and put the bore that I have removed from the original GR-07 foam tip. It worked! I will share my impressions after a week.

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #2,168 of 7,982

Quote:
I am wondering if anyone using EQ in their portable players? If yes, what kinds of differences you make?

I was listening my GR-07 through my rockboxed Fuze v2 from the date of purchase and use the EQ, untill today.

After turning the EQ off and neutralising the Bass and Treble settings, the sound became less involving and less lively (also less colored). But also what happened after turning the EQ off, I have started to hear very tiny details that were normally hidden in the tracks, this is strange for me. But I will try to take coffee without sugar for today, if my ears start to love this setting I will go on.

Please share your experiences my friends.

I'm currently listening through a rockboxed Clip+ with EQ turned off, as I'm waiting to hit the 200hr burn-in mark (currently 175) before I start to tweak the EQ.

However, if the sound doesn't change much between now and then, I'll keep my Clip flat for low / moderate listening, and reduce the high shelf a little for loud listening. I'm also going through an E11 with EQ setting 1, which seems to give it a nice bottom end where the songs call for it.

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #2,170 of 7,982
Quote:
are the filters removable?

Yes, I suppose they are... I have attempted to remove them one time but afraid of damaging them so I gave up. First I have removed the metal rim inside the tips then try to take the filters out but they need some force to get out. Not an easy task...

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #2,174 of 7,982

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I suppose they are... I have attempted to remove them one time but afraid of damaging them so I gave up. First I have removed the metal rim inside the tips then try to take the filters out but they need some force to get out. Not an easy task...

Damn. I'm really afraid that I'll clog them with earwax but it doesn't look easy to remove them either.

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #2,175 of 7,982
I personally would advise not tampering with it. After all, the grill guard/filter was intended to be there. As they say, if it ain't broken...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back