VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #2,191 of 7,982

Quote:
Does this refer to dynamics?
A certain capability to deliver sound effortlessly?

This was another of the issues  I heard out of the box - a certain lack of dynamics, power, it sounded a bit constrained, compressed.

ljokerl, however, says in his review that the GR07 has very good dynamic range (is this what I'm talking about here?), almost as good as the RE262...
And Clieus said that this is one of the aspects that improved with burn-in... more dynamic...

Is this one of the aspects I can expect to hear the biggest diffrence?

What do you people have to say about this?

The GR07 was built as a studio monitor. Because of this, it was built with a somewhat weak motor. It'll probably never have the dynamic range of iems like the FXT90 because thats not what it was made for

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #2,192 of 7,982
But are we really talking about dynamic range?
I have to read about this...

eke2k6, did you find an improvement in dynamics, does your GR07 sound more effortless than before?
Do you understand what I'm talking about?
How much hours does your GR07 have?

Dec 17, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #2,194 of 7,982
My GR07 has always sounded effortless. It's as fast as any BA I've heard, including the TF10. It's certainly not lacking in the dynamics department, but when you put it beside the kings of dynamics like the FX700, you notice the difference. What it doesn't have in dynamic, it makes up for in speed, clarity, control, and smoothness. My pair has about 300 hours on it

Dec 17, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #2,195 of 7,982
Guys i have a real bummer with the silicone tips and the GR07. i cant find a single tip that stays in my ears for more that 5-10 minutes while am walking and not losing the seal a bit. I asked from lendmeurears to send me the new tips and i ended up trying and failing with more that 20 tips :D.
My best fit is with the fake hybrids i got with my brainwavz pro alpha. The way the GR07 sits on my ear, makes it easy to get pulled out a bit. The fake hybrids from brainwavz have a slightly bigger exterior diametre than the medium fake hybrids included and also slightly shorter.Therefore they seal well in my ear at the exit of my ear canal. BUT still doesnt lack long enough to stop being annoying.
In other words my last attempt is foam tips. I tried some generic black ones from brainwavz and finally the tips stay in my ears. Unfortunately, bass dominates everything and soundstage shrinks up to the level i cant tell i wear the GR07. :D HELL!, dont you think?
I ordered and wait some jays foam tips but since i got some spare cash and they are expendables i also plan to buy some comply tips. The ts series look perfect to me. Spherical shape makes me think they will be like brainwavz fake hybrids but the foam material will keep them in place. Also they are not that long as the original comply so they might not affect the sound that much.
The problem is which will fit? So many opinions around here. Arent they suppose to be ts100, ts200 etc according to the nozzle diametre?

Quote:
Comply™ Foam Earphone Technology There's more involved than just that. The sound port size, build material, etc are all involved.

This is what they told me on facebook.. so the ts100 from the ts200 has different sound port as well? and different material?
blink.gif

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #2,197 of 7,982
Quote:
Guys i have a real bummer with the silicone tips and the GR07. i cant find a single tip that stays in my ears for more that 5-10 minutes while am walking and not losing the seal a bit. I asked from lendmeurears to send me the new tips and i ended up trying and failing with more that 20 tips :D.
My best fit is with the fake hybrids i got with my brainwavz pro alpha. The way the GR07 sits on my ear, makes it easy to get pulled out a bit. The fake hybrids from brainwavz have a slightly bigger exterior diametre than the medium fake hybrids included and also slightly shorter.Therefore they seal well in my ear at the exit of my ear canal. BUT still doesnt lack long enough to stop being annoying.
In other words my last attempt is foam tips. I tried some generic black ones from brainwavz and finally the tips stay in my ears. Unfortunately, bass dominates everything and soundstage shrinks up to the level i cant tell i wear the GR07. :D HELL!, dont you think?
I ordered and wait some jays foam tips but since i got some spare cash and they are expendables i also plan to buy some comply tips. The ts series look perfect to me. Spherical shape makes me think they will be like brainwavz fake hybrids but the foam material will keep them in place. Also they are not that long as the original comply so they might not affect the sound that much.
The problem is which will fit? So many opinions around here. Arent they suppose to be ts100, ts200 etc according to the nozzle diametre?

This is what they told me on facebook.. so the ts100 from the ts200 has different sound port as well? and different material?
blink.gif

I had a similar problem as yours, while active they tend to get out slightly. The best tip to solve this problem is Jays silicone for me. I am currently using them. Medium fits my ears perfectly. Don't know why but they fit and stay (also isolate) perfectly. If your ear canals are larger than the standard large tips you may try jays and also take a look at the hifiman bi-flanges.

I have moded 4 different tips and tried nearly 30 pairs of tips and will be sharing my experiences after some time (currently trying the jays and diy foams).

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #2,198 of 7,982

Quote:

I had a similar problem as yours, while active they tend to get out slightly. The best tip to solve this problem is Jays silicone for me. I am currently using them. Medium fits my ears perfectly. Don't know why but they fit and stay (also isolate) perfectly. If your ear canals are larger than the standard large tips you may try jays and also take a look at the hifiman bi-flanges.

I have moded 4 different tips and tried nearly 30 pairs of tips and will be sharing my experiences after some time (currently trying the jays and diy foams).

Jays are great for this and so are the Phonacs. 

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #2,199 of 7,982
Has anyone tried a biflange or triflange tip besides HiFiMan's? I am curious if anyone can lend some advice towards their thoughts on the sound on those. I like the detail of the bi-flange tips that come with the GR07, but I'm hoping to find ones with a more comfortable fit and possibly just a tiny bit more low-end. Also, if anyone can compare bi/tri flange against the Sony Hybrids I'd be interested knowing your thoughts. 
beerchug.gif

- Woody

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #2,200 of 7,982

Quote:
My GR07 has always sounded effortless. It's as fast as any BA I've heard, including the TF10. It's certainly not lacking in the dynamics department, but when you put it beside the kings of dynamics like the FX700, you notice the difference. What it doesn't have in dynamic, it makes up for in speed, clarity, control, and smoothness. My pair has about 300 hours on it

Same here. I was quite surprised at how fast my GR07's sounding when put against the e-Q5 and the GR10.

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #2,201 of 7,982
finally ordered a pair!!!!

hopefully theyll turn up around xmas time. going to be using them with a fiio e7 and a rockboxed ipod video (next upgrade is a massive hard drive for it)

my question is: any tips on burn in for them? really not sure on how to go about it?

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #2,202 of 7,982
I somewhat disagree. It's well damped and controlled sounding except in the highs but micro detail is still better on a GR10, TF10, and even Phonak 112 with FLAC or better. I do think it similar to the Eq5. That says a lot for speed or responsiveness. Also, the top could be more resolved. It's not just the amount of treble that can be an issue for some, it's the character of seemingly having a resonance. It's a bit unrefined up there while being quite refined elswhere, when compared to the best. Don't get me wrong as I thought them very good also and that includes their overall detail but just not with the best in that regard. It's those very aspects that had me decide to move on. They had enough info overall if not for that slight sibilance I just couldn't get past and I'm not an anti highs guy. The GR10s aren't shrinking violets and I prefer Phonaks with gray filters. It was the character of those highs that did me in and that will be very individual. It's been a while since I heard a tf10 and think I actually prefer the Vsonic because of it's better bass and balance (more to goodness than just detail) but ultimately, neither was for me.

Dec 18, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #2,203 of 7,982

Quote:
I somewhat disagree. It's well damped and controlled sounding except in the highs but micro detail is still better on a GR10, TF10, and even Phonak 112 with FLAC or better. I do think it similar to the Eq5. That says a lot for speed or responsiveness. Also, the top could be more resolved. It's not just the amount of treble that can be an issue for some, it's the character of seemingly having a resonance. It's a bit unrefined up there while being quite refined elswhere, when compared to the best. Don't get me wrong as I thought them very good also and that includes their overall detail but just not with the best in that regard. It's those very aspects that had me decide to move on. They had enough info overall if not for that slight sibilance I just couldn't get past and I'm not an anti highs guy. The GR10s aren't shrinking violets and I prefer Phonaks with gray filters. It was the character of those highs that did me in and that will be very individual. It's been a while since I heard a tf10 and think I actually prefer the Vsonic because of it's better bass and balance (more to goodness than just detail) but ultimately, neither was for me.

I first encountered sibilance as well, but once I got rid of the tips I was using (hifiman biflange) everything settled. Armature drivers are good for details, but the tf10 doesn't come close to the GR07 in terms of vocal and instrument timbre. I almost want to send you my pair along with a pair of jays silicone tips so you can see what they sound like when that slight spike is dealt with. As far as the resonance issue goes, it was probably because the tips you used didn't 'agree' with your ears, despite providing a good seal.

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #2,204 of 7,982

Quote:
I first encountered sibilance as well, but once I got rid of the tips I was using (hifiman biflange) everything settled. Armature drivers are good for details, but the tf10 doesn't come close to the GR07 in terms of vocal and instrument timbre. I almost want to send you my pair along with a pair of jays silicone tips so you can see what they sound like when that slight spike is dealt with. As far as the resonance issue goes, it was probably because the tips you used didn't 'agree' with your ears, despite providing a good seal.

I've got plenty of tips that I tried. The meelec triples were really good but I have a bunch of others like hybrids, olives, comply and other silicon  that reduce the top including jays. I liked them and am not disparaging. It's all trade offs with any IEM. The spike can be tamed but never fully dealt with without other things coming along for the ride. It's going to be personal as to how much of a problem it is which is obviously not too much for most and almost wasn't for me. I can have a lot of highs but am personally quite sensitive to sibilance. My GR10s and Phonak/gray are not shrinking violets.

I've never considered TF10s top tier due to their unnatural tonality, something the GR07 does well except for the bit of splash on top. I just didn't find the GR07 to reach in quite as deep as the best I've had and that's not to say they didn't have really good detail. They did but they didn't quite get to top levels. At under $200 they're a great value and there's more to goodness than that last little bit of resolving power.
bigsmile_face.gif
 I'm just not into message board all good and all bad type stuff. Nothing's perfect. Unfortunately descriptions of sound are often related to pointing out less than stellar aspects and makes things sound worse that they really are. Not my intention in the least. I could easily recommend these to anyone with a relatively minor caveat regarding the top.

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #2,205 of 7,982

Quote:
I've got plenty of tips that I tried. The meelec triples were really good but I have a bunch of others like hybrids, olives, comply and other silicon  that reduce the top including jays. I liked them and am not disparaging. It's all trade offs with any IEM. The spike can be tamed but never fully dealt with without other things coming along for the ride. It's going to be personal as to how much of a problem it is which is obviously not too much for most and almost wasn't for me. I can have a lot of highs but am personally quite sensitive to sibilance. My GR10s and Phonak/gray are not shrinking violets.

I've never considered TF10s top tier due to their unnatural tonality, something the GR07 does well except for the bit of splash on top. I just didn't find the GR07 to reach in quite as deep as the best I've had and that's not to say they didn't have really good detail. They did but they didn't quite get to top levels. At under $200 they're a great value and there's more to goodness than that last little bit of resolving power.
bigsmile_face.gif
 I'm just not into message board all good and all bad type stuff. Nothing's perfect. Unfortunately descriptions of sound are often related to pointing out less than stellar aspects and makes things sound worse that they really are. Not my intention in the least. I could easily recommend these to anyone with a relatively minor caveat regarding the top.

Fair enough. To each his own 
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back