VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #2,146 of 7,982
OK, I'm not going to give a detailed account of my impressions of these IEMs - this has been done well enough in posts prior to this. What I will say is how genuinely surprised I am by quite how good they are, not just relative to price, but relative to universals in general.

I actually received my Brainwavz B2s at the same time as my GR07s, which allowed me to give the B2s good listening time whilst I let the GR07s burn in. I was very impressed, most notably with their treble, and could see why they and the DBA-02 are so highly regarded. Their aggressive detailing of higher frequencies is staggering. However, they do tend to leave me a little cold, or un-moved, as if I am so preoccupied with marvelling at the individual details that I miss the overall meaning of the song. 

When I went on to listen to the burned-in GR07s, I was astounded by their balance not just across the frequency spectrum, but by their balancing of detail retrieval against cohesive fatigue-free listening. Their versatility appear to lie not only their seeming ability to pull off  all genres, but also their ability to provide both detailed active listening and emotive passive listening simultaneously.

Needless to say I have returned the B2s. Furthermore, I'm so impressed with these phones I'm going to wave goodbye to my (previously) beloved SM3s...

Thank you Head-Fi members for providing such an excellent resource - without you I would have never have discovered these little gems.

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #2,147 of 7,982
Another one in love with GR07! Aren't they amazing little  things? I'm amazed by their sound every day!

Quote:
OK, I'm not going to give a detailed account of my impressions of these IEMs - this has been done well enough in posts prior to this. What I will say is how genuinely surprised I am by quite how good they are, not just relative to price, but relative to universals in general.

I actually received my Brainwavz B2s at the same time as my GR07s, which allowed me to give the B2s good listening time whilst I let the GR07s burn in. I was very impressed, most notably with their treble, and could see why they and the DBA-02 are so highly regarded. Their aggressive detailing of higher frequencies is staggering. However, they do tend to leave me a little cold, or un-moved, as if I am so preoccupied with marvelling at the individual details that I miss the overall meaning of the song. 

When I went on to listen to the burned-in GR07s, I was astounded by their balance not just across the frequency spectrum, but by their balancing of detail retrieval against cohesive fatigue-free listening. Their versatility appear to lie not only their seeming ability to pull off  all genres, but also their ability to provide both detailed active listening and emotive passive listening simultaneously.

Needless to say I have returned the B2s. Furthermore, I'm so impressed with these phones I'm going to wave goodbye to my (previously) beloved SM3s...

Thank you Head-Fi members for providing such an excellent resource - without you I would have never have discovered these little gems.

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #2,148 of 7,982

Quote:
GR07 Mid-Bass Enhance EASY MOD :

The mod if fully reversible.

1. Prepare some wadding .

2. Pull some wadding balls inside the nozzle of your favorite ear-tips. You don't need to take those tips of GR07 nozzle, leave the on.

3. Play with the size of the wadding ball until you'll get the perfect balance you want. 

4. Ensure those wadding balls shall not roll out the nozzle. Pull them in as deep as it goes.

The more wadding you pull in, the bigger bass you get, the more treble energy you lose... 

The mod is highly recommended for guys using bright/digital sounding source like Teclast T51 , Colorfly, Apple ...

Same mod works even better with HifiMan earphones, especially RE0

You just gave me nice ideas... 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #2,149 of 7,982

1. Prepare some wadding .

2. Pull some wadding balls inside the nozzle of your favorite ear-tips. You don't need to take those tips of GR07 nozzle, leave the on.

3. Play with the size of the wadding ball until you'll get the perfect balance you want. 

4. Ensure those wadding balls shall not roll out the nozzle. Pull them in as deep as it goes.

The more wadding you pull in, the bigger bass you get, the more treble energy you lose

Thats what She Said

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #2,150 of 7,982

just tried a mod here, too... using some RE0 filters... 

If I can remember, there is another mesh / filter after the first mesh. Do you think we can take off the first mesh an fill the nozzle like the mod on the HifiMan ones? Just wondering...  136 hours of burn in and the sibilance is still very present... A little bit less after the RE0 filter... hmmmm... Just wondering... 

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #2,151 of 7,982
Loose stuff stuck well into your canals could be a bad idea. You may want to secure any wadding between the tip and nozzle. My concern is that it's just going to dry up the mids more and make them less transparent. Not something they need. They're plenty balanced and great overall performers but they don't reach in as far as the best in that regard. They also don't need more bass.

Dec 14, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #2,152 of 7,982
Great mod! I'll have to try it... 
wink.gif

About the tips, from the ones I've tried, I'm enjoying the included foam tips (the grey ones, from the new GR07 package). For me, those ones are the best for confort, fit, feel and obviously sound quality. There's just a pair included in the package, so I'm concerned what will happen when I'll need new ones. Does anyone know which aftermarket tips are the closest (or even the same) to these ones? 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #2,153 of 7,982
louisnomad, taking off the metal mesh isn't a good idea in my opinion... There is no difference where the wadding is placed, inside the earphone or inside the tips, as long as it holds still...

goodvibes , I agree, GR07 are very balanced earphone, but some bright source like Teclast T51 can turn GR07 into sibilant, bass-light ear-drills. This is where that Wadding-Mod turns useful. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #2,154 of 7,982

Quote:
louisnomad, taking off the metal mesh isn't a good idea in my opinion... There is no difference where the wadding is placed, inside the earphone or inside the tips, as long as it holds still...

I know there is no difference, but the wadding will need to be replaced every time we play with tips.  I was wondering if we could do something like ClieOS did to RE262 here (just look almost at the end of the review):

http://www.inearmatters.net/2010/11/review-hifiman-re262-beautiful-voice.html

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #2,155 of 7,982
Hi, you guys might think this is a newbie question, but I am just curious how the GR07s sound for the Hiphop, Rap, Electro, House, and Dance music genres? Because those are the main genres of music I listen to, and I am interested to know because I have read plenty of positive reviews all saying the GR07s are really good. In specific, I would like to know if the bass on these would suffice to allow me to really enjoy those music genres. Thanks alot.

Dec 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #2,156 of 7,982
Quote:
Great mod! I'll have to try it... 
wink.gif

About the tips, from the ones I've tried, I'm enjoying the included foam tips (the grey ones, from the new GR07 package). For me, those ones are the best for confort, fit, feel and obviously sound quality. There's just a pair included in the package, so I'm concerned what will happen when I'll need new ones. Does anyone know which aftermarket tips are the closest (or even the same) to these ones? 
rolleyes.gif

I had the same impressions with the included tips. Between comfort and sound quality the foam tips were the best out of the group for me. I have ordered a set of Comply T-400 tips and they should be here tomorrow. I will definitely post a reply with my impressions of them 
biggrin.gif

- Woody

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #2,157 of 7,982

Quote:
Hi, you guys might think this is a newbie question, but I am just curious how the GR07s sound for the Hiphop, Rap, Electro, House, and Dance music genres? Because those are the main genres of music I listen to, and I am interested to know because I have read plenty of positive reviews all saying the GR07s are really good. In specific, I would like to know if the bass on these would suffice to allow me to really enjoy those music genres. Thanks alot.

They suffice for those genres to me. Bass is definitely present when listening to hiphop/rap without being muddy. Not to mention the tight punch when listening to EDM.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #2,158 of 7,982

Quote:

I2ehan (the king of the dance floor) sorry I2
ksc75smile.gif
  has mentioned in the past, that for your Genre the JVC700's are the way to go. You here I2??

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #2,159 of 7,982

Quote:
Quote:

I had the same impressions with the included tips. Between comfort and sound quality the foam tips were the best out of the group for me. I have ordered a set of Comply T-400 tips and they should be here tomorrow. I will definitely post a reply with my impressions of them 
biggrin.gif

- Woody

I'd like to hear what you think woody> I have a feeling Comply's will be really good with these. Comply's were great with my W3's but not too good with Ortofon EQ5.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #2,160 of 7,982
Ok, thanks! I'll be waiting for your impressions... 
wink.gif

Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

- Woody

Users who are viewing this thread

Back