VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Nov 1, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #1,801 of 7,982

Quote:
Sorry cute, but there's really no way to know whether any IEM you get is exactly the same as what any reviewer has heard with their copy. Even if you only look at older G07's.
Yes, there is belief held between three(?) members that their newer GR07 has more bass than their older GR07, but unfortunately none of their claims are particularly credible. They are relying on memory, and arguably have not had the same amount of listening hours between the two. It may indeed be true, however there's no proof that it is. Differences, if they exist, could also just be random luck of the draw.
Without proof, and given the uncertainty which always exists, there's no real need to get worked up about it. Just enjoy your IEMs!

Thanks for that explanation.  I am too new to this sport for me to have any credability....  I am just enjoying the GR07 immensely, no doubt about that!

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #1,803 of 7,982
^^ Read this thread and the FXT90 thread, there is plenty of discussion about the differences between the two IEM's that answer your question. But I suspect the short answer is the GR07 is more analytical. As for bass the FXT90 is supposed to have more midbass giving it more snap whereas the GR07 has good sub-bass. The other difference is in the treble which the FXT90 is supposed to be more sparkly as compared to the GR07 which is smoother and detail oriented.

But it really is better if you read through the threads rather than rely on my Readers Digest version of what's been said.

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #1,805 of 7,982

Quote:
Thanks for that explanation.  I am too new to this sport for me to have any credability....  I am just enjoying the GR07 immensely, no doubt about that!

It's all about the enjoyment, so you've already won! I happen to believe there are differences in the new and old versions, but it may well be that you would have preferred the newer in an A/B comparison anyway. I got caught up in trying to find the perfect upgrade/tweak in sound signature to my "old" GR07s and after weeks of agonizing and pouring over HEAD-FI got a second pair of GR07s so I could devote the former to the slow death spiral of being my sleep IEMs.

Quote:
Sorry cute, but there's really no way to know whether any IEM you get is exactly the same as what any reviewer has heard with their copy. Even if you only look at older G07's.
Yes, there is belief held between three(?) members that their newer GR07 has more bass than their older GR07, but unfortunately none of their claims are particularly credible. They are relying on memory, and arguably have not had the same amount of listening hours between the two. It may indeed be true, however there's no proof that it is. Differences, if they exist, could also just be random luck of the draw.
Without proof, and given the uncertainty which always exists, there's no real need to get worked up about it. Just enjoy your IEMs!

You make good points, but might have done so without impugning credibility and jumping to the conclusion that there was no side by side comparison.  As mentioned above, I do have both pair in possession and have noticed some differences, even literally doing a blind side by side test to make sure I wasn't just talking myself into it.  I should note that the new pair have only 100 hours or so on them, but it is my distinct memory that the bass actually took awhile to fully show up in the old. 

One of my favorite test tracks is "Polly Come Home" from Robert Plant and Alison Krauss' Raising Sand which is a study in contrasts between a prominent bass line and soft vocals and instruments.  It's a marvelously engineered recording with as deep a bass line as you'll find that, coupled with some deep penetrating slide guitar, is very difficult for any speaker system, let alone headphone, to get right.  When it is right, it adds a dimension to the song that adds goosebumps to the hairs on the neck already raised by Krauss' delicate, ethereal harmonies.  Most systems create a club-style thumping bass that obscures much of the space necessary to enjoy the airiness of the song.  My MEE A151's, by contrast, produce only a thin thunk, a harpsichord note to that of a piano's. 

So how do the new GR07s compare to the old?  The old version does a reasonable job reaching down to the low d that defines the beginning of the simple recurring bass line, but the attack isn't well defined and the reverb-laden decay is only heard but is meant also to be felt.  Throughout the rest of the song, I find myself listening for the bass line when it is up against the slide guitar and snare rather than listening to it. On the new, it's spot on: a shockingly round note that lingers just long enough.  The bass line is ever present without being bloated or dominant.  Score a point, in my book at least, for the new!

To my ears, it's not all positive, however.  I do find the new version to have added some warmth and (consequently?) some reduction in the width of the soundstage.  This was apparent to me in another test recording, Respighi's "Pines of Rome."  This is one of those lush pieces that, even if not a classical fan, might give one a thrill because of the huge sound coming from the brass.  (If you can't imagine a 100+ strong member orchestra in front of you, your system isn't doing right by you.)  Here, with my eyes closed the old version make me feel as if I'm perhaps sitting a bit too close to the stage but in the audience at the concert hall nonetheless.  With the new, I've got a really nice set of headphones on.  Each do well with instrument separation, but I do notice that the warmth of the new version provides some color to the brass.  For me, this isn't such a bad thing when listening through headphones, but it is less true to the timbre of brass in a live setting.

So, yes, I find the new GR07s bassier, but that's a mixed bag for me and personally I like having two slightly different phones of such quality.  It's kind of like what I imagine getting the different filters on the Phonaks must be like.  Also, the differences I hear may be no more than what others hear by changing from one tip to another.  

I've tried to avoid generalization in comparing the two by referring to specific recordings. Hope this wasn't too narrow a comparison, but I feel that sometimes the usual descriptors and adjectives used on this site would be more helpful if used in specific context.

Quote:
Actually IIRC, the number of GR07 produced each month has been limited on purpose since quite a few months ago, before even the new color and packaging were introduced (thus go all the theory of increase production vs bad QC). That's why you always see out-of-stock sign on internet retailer since they can't get their stock fast enough. You should also note that GR07 was originally intended for China market only, as with most of VSONIC's stuff. It was not until it was introduced to HF that VSONIC become more aware of the oversea market (which frankly sell much faster the China market). I really do believe VSONIC sell more GR07 to oversea market then they are in local, but I don't really see VSONIC wanting to saturate the oversea market as fast as they can. If anything, their marketing policy remains largely the same - take the local market first, then worry about oversea. That's also partly because VSONIC also OEM for other oversea companies (some are well known here in HF). They probably don't want to ruin their OEM business by becoming a major player in the oversea market.

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you can't reveal who VSonic manufactures for?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #1,806 of 7,982

Mayordean,  That is exactly the type of user response I needed, my library includes "Raising Sand".  Spot on with "Polly Come Home".

Thank you, for your detailed comparison between "old and new", this is very helpful to me!

I am one that of those that roll "tips", to get a different sound from the GR07, it is like having different phones!

I have over 250 hrs on mine, I listen about 8hrs a day with no fatigue.  I think the bass and treble has changed alot since new.  I like the Jays tips for the largest soundstage, best overall sound.  Some albums can even sound analytical.

+1

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #1,807 of 7,982
You make good points, but might have done so without impugning credibility and jumping to the conclusion that there was no side by side comparison.  As mentioned above, I do have both pair in possession and have noticed some differences, even literally doing a blind side by side test to make sure I wasn't just talking myself into it.  I should note that the new pair have only 100 hours or so on them, but it is my distinct memory that the bass actually took awhile to fully show up in the old.

I didn't claim there was no side by side comparison. Only that nothing stated to date proves anything. Your observations I shall take as truth. Any claims about what these observations may imply are at this stage merely supposition. Not proven.

You still have different hours on them and are still going by memory of what you perceived bass-wise for the old.

You still have no way of knowing whether the difference is due to a revision of some sort, or random variation between copies.

I certainly I didn't mean to imply anything beyond what I actually stated.

Cheers

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #1,808 of 7,982
Cheers to you as well.  I know better than to pick arguments with already Angry Bacon Gods! 

If anyone else expresses interest, I'll be happy to report more of my impressions after another 100 or so hours of burn-in on the new pair. 

In the meantime, is it a (perhaps unhelpful) mystery why both the Amazon and e-bay seller are promoting the "new flagship version," or has this been explained already previously?

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #1,809 of 7,982

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you can't reveal who VSonic manufactures for?  Inquiring minds want to know!

They are considered business secret and thus it is not my place to reveal them.

Nov 2, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #1,810 of 7,982
i just purchased my pair of gr07's, pretty excited. while i'm waiting for them to arrive, can anyone tell me where i can purchase the jays tips in the u.s.? they seem to get the best results from what i've read in this thread. also, how does the size of the medium/large jays tips compare to the size of the medium (green) and large (blue) sony hybrids? thanks.

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #1,811 of 7,982

Quote:
Just sayin, if there are two different sounds, which version is actually what the manufacturer intended, indeed if there are actually two different sounds between two different versions.  That as of now still has not been determined.  Didn't mean they are not authentic, I meant the intended sound, "more or less bass".  I wouldn't part with mine either way, I just wanted something as neutral as possible, hoping that there is no emphasis on bass, mids, or treble!  Nothing negative intended, they are very good colored bass or not!

ok, sorry for the misunderstanding then. the last part of your original statement certainly didnt help >_<.

Quote:
Cheers to you as well.  I know better than to pick arguments with already Angry Bacon Gods! 

If anyone else expresses interest, I'll be happy to report more of my impressions after another 100 or so hours of burn-in on the new pair. 

In the meantime, is it a (perhaps unhelpful) mystery why both the Amazon and e-bay seller are promoting the "new flagship version," or has this been explained already previously?

its GR01 their new dual armature flagship

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #1,813 of 7,982

Quote:
its GR01 their new dual armature flagship

Actually, they use the phrase "new flagship version" on the GRO7s.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=gr07&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Lendmeurears also refers to a "new version." It is ambiguous whether it is just because of the new tips and case.

I'm really not trying to stir the pot here, but am more curious than trying to prove a point.

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #1,814 of 7,982

Quote:

The location tracker on the website is.. freaky. 
ph34r.gif

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #1,815 of 7,982

Quote:
I'm really not trying to stir the pot here, but am more curious than trying to prove a point.

The word "flagship" is kind of overused by VSONIC on almost everything, so I won't be too worry about it.

Quote:
The location tracker on the website is.. freaky. 
ph34r.gif

Don't worry. It doesn't really tell anything besides what is already easily traceable by any websites you visit
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back