VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Oct 31, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #1,786 of 7,982
Holy tips! So many and i actually like the new case. Alot of people say off the bat that these headphones can be dissapointing but I didn't feel that at all I think they sound great pre burn in which is very rare for me, excited for when they are burned in :) these do everything well and have a large (wide) soundstage. My only complaint (if you can call it that) is the simbilence but apparently that goes away after 200 hours.

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #1,787 of 7,982
Maybe smbd could ask Vsonic's employees directly, has the bass level been increased in the recent batches of GR07 or not?

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #1,789 of 7,982
Well, it's worth a shot, but more than likely, VSonic will say that nothing has changed. Otherwise, they'd make another edition of it. VSonic has a history of making multiple versions of the same IEM, in both the R02 and R04. However, with the GR07 being their current flagship and its intended use as a professionally-oriented stage monitor, it would not be wise of VSonic to change the tuning on the fly.

What I'd be worried about is that with so much demand on the GR07, VSonic's QC is faltering. From all indications, VSonic intended for the GR07 to be more of a boutique IEM, churning out only a few copies of it a day, hand assembling them only after testing on a dummy head. They've already had to raise the price in order to ward off demand, but if the hype on Head-Fi is to be believed, the demand is still going strong.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that ClieOS has mentioned multiple times that VSonic's production capabilities are being stretched very thin. My guess is that, even when the GR07 is still being hand assembled and tested, they're probably not doing it as thoroughly. I too have felt as though my new copy GR07 is slightly bassier than my old one, and is ever so slightly less well finished in build quality, and my explanation would be that VSonic is having trouble keeping up with demand and that slightly less care is being taken to ensure everything is absolutely top notch.

I don't blame them if that's the case. Then again, this is all conjecture, and unless someone there in person at VSonic's factories seeing how they produce these IEMs step-by-step, we may never know the truth.

That's why we might want to hold off on the big anticipation for the GR01, GR08, GR09. With the GR02. R04, GR06, and GR07 already in the works, VSonic seems to be bursting at the seams. Then again, the new IEMs they're coming out with are mostly BA-based, which may at least offset the load on production of dynamic drivers.

Quote:
Maybe smbd could ask Vsonic's employees directly, has the bass level been increased in the recent batches of GR07 or not?

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #1,790 of 7,982
Sonic memory is generally unreliable, IMO. As for GR07, I think it has its own production line that is different (and smaller) from the rest of the company's products. VSONIC has been in the business for quite sometime now, I don't really see why it would be a problem for them to keep up the production quality.

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #1,791 of 7,982
Well, maybe it wasn't the best to drag the rest of VSONIC's products in, but even with a separate production process, isn't there still quite a bit of pressure to churn out more copies of the GR07 daily? I don't have numbers for the market demand on the GR07, obviously, but if I were to make a guess, that number has only gone up this year. If VSONIC keeps only a constant rate of production, they would run into supply issues with buyers, and supply issues normally don't sit well with retailers. Thus, I can only assume that VSONIC has upped their production capability on the GR07 since it was introduced, and if production has gone from maybe 100 per month to several hundred per month, there will inevitably be QC issues to contend with, resolvable or not. Obviously, a good QC model is highly scalable and robust, and VSONIC seems to have great experience with production, so they get the benefit of the doubt. However, knowing the Chinese (and this isn't just working off their reputation; I'm culturally connected and know numerous people who head factories there) they're willing to forgo more stringent standards for what they deem is of minimal impact to a production.

BTW, this isn't a condemnation of VSONIC at all, and quality may not even turn out to be an issue with the GR07, and we may all just be suffering from addiction psychology, but it certainly is a concern of mine.

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #1,792 of 7,982
Actually IIRC, the number of GR07 produced each month has been limited on purpose since quite a few months ago, before even the new color and packaging were introduced (thus go all the theory of increase production vs bad QC). That's why you always see out-of-stock sign on internet retailer since they can't get their stock fast enough. You should also note that GR07 was originally intended for China market only, as with most of VSONIC's stuff. It was not until it was introduced to HF that VSONIC become more aware of the oversea market (which frankly sell much faster the China market). I really do believe VSONIC sell more GR07 to oversea market then they are in local, but I don't really see VSONIC wanting to saturate the oversea market as fast as they can. If anything, their marketing policy remains largely the same - take the local market first, then worry about oversea. That's also partly because VSONIC also OEM for other oversea companies (some are well known here in HF). They probably don't want to ruin their OEM business by becoming a major player in the oversea market.

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #1,793 of 7,982
Well, conversely, I have the new version and I'm very glad these have the amount of bass they do. Any less, and I'd find them too lacking to sound natural or be versatile enough to listen to any genre. As ClieOS said, maybe it's a sonic memory issue. Or maybe they're preparing them differently so that the burn in process doesn't take as long. I for one found them sibilant at first, but not nearly to the extent some people seemed to be claiming. Mine seems extremely solidly built, hard to imagine a plastic earphone feeling much more solid. But then again I don't have the old one to compare.

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #1,794 of 7,982
Mmm, yeah, their OEM business certainly pays the bills, and I also agree that the GR07 is a product that doesn't sell well in the China market. Despite the ever increasing middle class there, a 1000 RMB IEM is not really practical for the average joe (or average chen, to be more localized
tongue_smile.gif
). The affluent in China are numerous, but they tend to want the large, globally known brands over home grown material. I know there is a push for domestic brands to get prominent enough to eventually take over global brands, but they're a ways away.

I can see how VSONIC would be willing to disappoint online overseas retailers to secure their core interests; if I were a VSONIC executive, however, I'd position the GR07 to be more export-oriented, but that's just me.

Quote:
Actually IIRC, the number of GR07 produced each month has been limited on purpose since quite a few months ago, before even the new color and packaging were introduced (thus go all the theory of increase production vs bad QC). That's why you always see out-of-stock sign on internet retailer since they can't get their stock fast enough. You should also note that GR07 was originally intended for China market only, as with most of VSONIC's stuff. It was not until it was introduced to HF that VSONIC become more aware of the oversea market (which frankly sell much faster the China market). I really do believe VSONIC sell more GR07 to oversea market then they are in local, but I don't really see VSONIC wanting to saturate the oversea market as fast as they can. If anything, their marketing policy remains largely the same - take the local market first, then worry about oversea. That's also partly because VSONIC also OEM for other oversea companies (some are well known here in HF). They probably don't want to ruin their OEM business by becoming a major player in the oversea market.

Well, that's why I didn't rule out what I term "addiction psychology"... in a similar fashion to the way that drug users need stronger doses of the same drug, the expectation that an earphone should sound one way or another is partially linked to our dependence of it. If, let's say, all of our experiences were fashioned around positively reinforcing experiences around the GR07 the first time around, any negative experience will feel more negative. I'm not using the most sound scientific explanation (because it would take forever to explain) but you get the gist.

Quote:
Well, conversely, I have the new version and I'm very glad these have the amount of bass they do. Any less, and I'd find them too lacking to sound natural or be versatile enough to listen to any genre. As ClieOS said, maybe it's a sonic memory issue. Or maybe they're preparing them differently so that the burn in process doesn't take as long. I for one found them sibilant at first, but not nearly to the extent some people seemed to be claiming. Mine seems extremely solidly built, hard to imagine a plastic earphone feeling much more solid. But then again I don't have the old one to compare.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #1,796 of 7,982

Quote:
So hod does the new version with 15 pairs of eartips comapres to the old one? What is better/worse in it?

I'd like the answere to that!  I have the same newer version.  I purchased, going by past reviews of the GR07.  If the product has changed, as confirmed by the people that have had both versions, I would not know, as I am new to IEM, and I rely on others with many posts to know what we have here.  Doesn't someone here have both pairs, old and new, that they can A/B, and report back to this forum?  Which product is the real GR07?  This wouldn't be the first time I purchased a product from China, and it was not authentic! 

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #1,797 of 7,982

Quote:
I'd like the answere to that!  I have the same newer version.  I purchased, going by past reviews of the GR07.  If the product has changed, as confirmed by the people that have had both versions, I would not know, as I am new to IEM, and I rely on others with many posts to know what we have here.  Doesn't someone here have both pairs, old and new, that they can A/B, and report back to this forum?  Which product is the real GR07?  This wouldn't be the first time I purchased a product from China, and it was not authentic! 

how do you get the idea they are not authentic from reading comment on here? both version are real GR07.

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #1,799 of 7,982

Quote:
how do you get the idea they are not authentic from reading comment on here? both version are real GR07.

Just sayin, if there are two different sounds, which version is actually what the manufacturer intended, indeed if there are actually two different sounds between two different versions.  That as of now still has not been determined.  Didn't mean they are not authentic, I meant the intended sound, "more or less bass".  I wouldn't part with mine either way, I just wanted something as neutral as possible, hoping that there is no emphasis on bass, mids, or treble!  Nothing negative intended, they are very good colored bass or not!

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #1,800 of 7,982
Sorry cute, but there's really no way to know whether any IEM you get is exactly the same as what any reviewer has heard with their copy. Even if you only look at older G07's.

Yes, there is belief held between three(?) members that their newer GR07 has more bass than their older GR07, but unfortunately none of their claims are particularly credible. They are relying on memory, and arguably have not had the same amount of listening hours between the two. It may indeed be true, however there's no proof that it is. Differences, if they exist, could also just be random luck of the draw.

Without proof, and given the uncertainty which always exists, there's no real need to get worked up about it. Just enjoy your IEMs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back