VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #7,936 of 7,982
No mystery here - through the years vsonic released several versions of the gr07. First there was gr07, then gr07 mk2 (the OGs), then gr07be (bass edition), then gr07c (classic), then gr07x (limited run with new driver and supposedly the best sounding one to date, good luck finding someone outside China who has heard the updated version), then gr07 with detachable cables, then gr07ae (anniversary edition - with the new graphene drivers like gr09), then gr07w (wireless version), then the super duper limited updated version of gr07x. All gr07 versions are plastic - the white gr09 is ceramic.

At the moment the classic and bass edition have newer 2017 ans 2018 versions with upgraded build quality - still plastic, but with better materials. The version with detachable cable is the same as always. The older versions have been discontinued and by the end of the years all gr07 versions should be discontinued to make way for the new models
I am outside of China and I have the gr07X

Sep 29, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #7,937 of 7,982
I am outside of China and I have the gr07X
I meant the super duper limited updated version (I know for a fact that no one has it outside of China coz it was impossible to get even with a taobao agent - I tried) from this year and that it will be hard to find someone outside China, who has it and can say if its actually better than the original.

Sep 29, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #7,938 of 7,982
And in another news: VSONIC's new iceberg VS series will be officially released tomorrow. There are 4 products in total, which are VS1, VS3, VS7, VS9

68cf2617gy1fvqs1yy0frj21bf0qo0u0.jpg

I bet it will be some time before they are actually up for sale in the official tmall store and months before one can pick them up outside China from AE resellers, penon, lmue and the likes as usual. But as soon as they pop up on tmall I'll be grabbing vs9, or a few, or maybe all for the sake of comparison

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #7,942 of 7,982
edit: Started a separate thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-vsonic-vs-series.890063/

Here we goooo!!!
VS1 - circa $30
68cf2617gy1fvrwmsud6uj21bg0qojt3.jpg
68cf2617gy1fvrwmtm3jxj21be0qoabp.jpg
68cf2617gy1fvrwmubou6j21bg0qodhm.jpg
68cf2617gy1fvrwmv1jypj21bg0qoabt.jpg
68cf2617gy1fvrwmvqclzj21be0qodhk.jpg
68cf2617gy1fvrwmx4eitj21be0qognk.jpg

VS3
68cf2617gy1fvrwtznd30j21be0qowgp.jpg

VS7
68cf2617gy1fvrwwzcdsxj21be0qognz.jpg
68cf2617gy1fvrwx0woaij21be0qo0v9.jpg

VS9 - comes with silver cable while the others are spc, versions:magnesium alloy + resin combination, titanium alloy aluminum alloy + resin combination
circa $220 (although take in consideration that prices are always higher outside the official tmall store)
68cf2617gy1fvrwzz0jd8j21be0qoq54.jpg
68cf2617gy1fvrx03mtotj21be0qo76c.jpg
68cf2617gy1fvrx00mxmvj21be0qoq5c.jpg

Couldn't get the pricing of the rest. Vsonic'S CEO actually was streaming live answering question about the new models, so I watched him for a bit too see if he shows the actual units, but I was too busy with work and missed most of it, not to mention that I don't really know Chinese. Honestly, the vs7 looks the best IMO. \i wish the VS9 looked like it or at least has a transparent version with the metal plates.

All other vsonic models are apparently discontinued aside from the Ares (which now apparently is called gr08), the VS X (the gr07x upgrade, which now crazily is one of the most expensive vsonics at $300+ discounted from 460 bucks
TB2ucNPjHZnBKNjSZFGXXbt3FXa_!!2580483446.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #7,943 of 7,982
No mystery here - through the years vsonic released several versions of the gr07. First there was gr07, then gr07 mk2 (the OGs), then gr07be (bass edition), then gr07c (classic), then gr07x (limited run with new driver and supposedly the best sounding one to date, good luck finding someone outside China who has heard the updated version), then gr07 with detachable cables, then gr07ae (anniversary edition - with the new graphene drivers like gr09), then gr07w (wireless version), then the super duper limited updated version of gr07x. All gr07 versions are plastic - the white gr09 is ceramic.

At the moment the classic and bass edition have newer 2017 ans 2018 versions with upgraded build quality - still plastic, but with better materials. The version with detachable cable is the same as always. The older versions have been discontinued and by the end of the years all gr07 versions should be discontinued to make way for the new models

Thank you so much for very good explanation!

Without you this would be a mystery for me for log time :p wasn't easy to understand what is what.

Oct 29, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #7,944 of 7,982
I just got my GR07 37th anniversary edition after hearing about how detailed and clear they sound. The instrument separation on them is much worse than my 1more Triple Driver, Etymotic ER4 and Hifiman HE400i.
The muddy instrument separation makes these earphone sound like budget earphones. While it's unfair to compare these to much more expensive sets like the ER4 and HE400i, I was surprised how much worse they were than the 1More Triple Driver.

Anyone want a near brand new set of GR07?

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #7,945 of 7,982
I just got my GR07 37th anniversary edition after hearing about how detailed and clear they sound. The instrument separation on them is much worse than my 1more Triple Driver, Etymotic ER4 and Hifiman HE400i.
The muddy instrument separation makes these earphone sound like budget earphones. While it's unfair to compare these to much more expensive sets like the ER4 and HE400i, I was surprised how much worse they were than the 1More Triple Driver.

Anyone want a near brand new set of GR07?
Really? Where did you hear that because I've said in multiple posts that the anniversary edition sacrifices the clarity and openness of the standard gr07 version for a more natural and realistic presentation. So it has thicker notes with more realistic timbre but at the cost of a less clear and a bit congested presentation. It is unfair to compare it to ther4 not just because of the price but because there aren't many iems at any price point that sound as clear as the ety. As far as the 1more triple goes, it has a quite thin and unrealistic note presentation, which may create the illusion of better clarity but clarity is not everything as there are a lot of iems that sound clearer than the gr07 but they sound a lot more artificial and don't have that spot-on natural decay.

With that said, I also sold my anniversary edition mainly because I couldn't justify the price difference between the standard versions and it, and the trade-off of clarity for treble smoothness and note thickness was not my cup of tea

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #7,946 of 7,982
One of the little friends that I've really enjoyed some years ago until the left side had died with any kind of electronic, acoustic or rock-metal music. I was really really upset to lost it. Now have the Soundmagic E80s theyre also very nice but still miss the silky GR07s. Wished that they improve the durability and quality control of their stuff.

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #7,947 of 7,982
One of the little friends that I've really enjoyed some years ago until the left side had died with any kind of electronic, acoustic or rock-metal music. I was really really upset to lost it. Now have the Soundmagic E80s theyre also very nice but still miss the silky GR07s. Wished that they improve the durability and quality control of their stuff.

Agreed. I repaired mine so many times and recabled it at last. Worth the struggle imho. I dont know about new editions, maybe they have better quality, i hope.

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #7,948 of 7,982
Really? Where did you hear that because I've said in multiple posts that the anniversary edition sacrifices the clarity and openness of the standard gr07 version for a more natural and realistic presentation. So it has thicker notes with more realistic timbre but at the cost of a less clear and a bit congested presentation. It is unfair to compare it to ther4 not just because of the price but because there aren't many iems at any price point that sound as clear as the ety. As far as the 1more triple goes, it has a quite thin and unrealistic note presentation, which may create the illusion of better clarity but clarity is not everything as there are a lot of iems that sound clearer than the gr07 but they sound a lot more artificial and don't have that spot-on natural decay.

With that said, I also sold my anniversary edition mainly because I couldn't justify the price difference between the standard versions and it, and the trade-off of clarity for treble smoothness and note thickness was not my cup of tea

I found your post where you mentioned it. I didn't read through this thread before making my purchase. I just read that the GR07AE was an improvement over the GR07.
One of the things that distinguishes audiophile grade sound equipment and regular sound equipment is the imaging and soundstage. Audiophile equipment have the ability to make music turn holographic. All the instruments separate out into distinct locations in the space around you. Music becomes separated into distinct layers.
The GR07AE sounds like I'm listening to one single stream of audio.

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #7,949 of 7,982
I found your post where you mentioned it. I didn't read through this thread before making my purchase. I just read that the GR07AE was an improvement over the GR07.
One of the things that distinguishes audiophile grade sound equipment and regular sound equipment is the imaging and soundstage. Audiophile equipment have the ability to make music turn holographic. All the instruments separate out into distinct locations in the space around you. Music becomes separated into distinct layers.
The GR07AE sounds like I'm listening to one single stream of audio.
Well, it depends, there are plenty of high-end iems that sound warm and intimate. It's a matter of sound signature and personal preference. What you want is a very clear and open sounding iem, which usually goes along with thinner note presentation and boosted upper treble. But that's not all about how open something sounds - for instance, the depth of the soundstage is a something that benefits from thicker notes and warmer sound. Not to mention that the realistic rendition of the music is also very important, there are plenty of iems that sound spacious but also artificial as boosting the high end is a tricky thing without introducing issues or making sacrifices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back