VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #6,751 of 7,982
I picked a set of these up as an interim replacement for my DBA-02 MKII's (after thinking I'd lost them on an aeroplane - they later resurfaced behind a cupboard).

A few initial thoughts after maybe 2 or 3 hours of listening (through DX90, low gain, FLAC source (16/44 and 24/96):

- Bass quantity is notably greater than the DBA, but is lacking quite a lot of the immediacy and speed that I like in an earphone

- Fit isn't perhaps as problematic as I thought it might be in looking at the design of the IEM, a reasonable insertion is possible both straight down and over the ear, though worn straight down the enclosure does protrude rather oddly and after a short time feels pretty unnatural.  Over the ear offers greater isolation, ergo greater bass extension.

- My immediate thoughts as compared to the DBA is that I miss the speed and clarity, but coming back to them some of the treble does seem a little aggressive.

- The noise floor on the DBA seems a bit better to my ears.  It's as close as I've come to a dead black background in an IEM.  There's not too much by way of audible noise in the GR07...just a bit of muddiness maybe?  Could be resolved through burn-in.

- The ability to actually move my head while listening without the aural assault of the DBA-02 mkii's horrendously microphonic cable is a luxury. The GR07 will become my IEM of choice for anything that requires moving...walking...slight twitching of the head etc

Overall I'm reasonably impressed, but certainly if I hadn't found my DBA's behind that cupboard I would either be looking to replace them with another set or look more closely at other balanced armature options on the market.  I think I will keep the GR07's though, for times where I need to move my body without creating a vibration-vacuum around the cables.

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #6,752 of 7,982
Seems that the gr07 tip thread is pretty dead so I thought I'd ask here. What are the best foams for the gr07s? I've seen different accounts for what fits and what doesn't fit on the gr07. Do the comply fit? Thanks

One set of foam tips are included with the GR07 Classic. You can get more from:

http://penonaudio.com/VSONIC-Foam-Eartips

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #6,755 of 7,982
Tried the foams on the vsd3s myself and would like to echo this opinion. Stock foams really suck.
These foamies doesnt compress as complys and expands so quickly,before you shove-in.......the extra $ on compkys are really worth.....

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #6,756 of 7,982
The hobbit bi-flanges that come as stock with waterline fits well and so sounds good,to me.......for those who have fit issues might giv a shot with these.....

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #6,757 of 7,982
Tried the foams on the vsd3s myself and would like to echo this opinion. Stock foams really suck.

And the pair of black foams (comply?as bwavz say) that are bonus stocked with bwavz beta (ong with silicon tips) does the job well tho it wont last for long.....but purpose solved.

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #6,758 of 7,982
Subbed

How does the bass compare with the different versions, is there any sibilance , and does the rotating eartip 'rotate' out of alignment when inserted to the ear?

The technology used is interesting.

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #6,759 of 7,982
My trusty R07 is beginning to show sign of aging. The cable is now deteriorating, exposing the inner cable. Any idea of direct upgrade for this? Or at least similar capabilities like the R07? Would like to try something else (I know the R07 Classic is still in production). Got the  RE400 in mind though.

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #6,760 of 7,982
  My trusty R07 is beginning to show sign of aging. The cable is now deteriorating, exposing the inner cable. Any idea of direct upgrade for this? Or at least similar capabilities like the R07? Would like to try something else (I know the R07 Classic is still in production). Got the  RE400 in mind though.

I would like to suggest RE-600 to you for upgrade.

But if you need real upgrade and try different things, feel free to upgrade Fidue A83. It has really great comments on reviews.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #6,761 of 7,982
I would like to suggest RE-600 to you for upgrade.

But if you need real upgrade and try different things, feel free to upgrade Fidue A83. It has really great comments on reviews.

Is re600 still worth buying @200usd?......A83 is a better choice @$259 @amazon currently.......totally different level overall.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #6,762 of 7,982

You can try recabling from btg audio if the cost work outs to be cheaper than getting new re400 ($79.xx) or classic ($92.xx).....re400s are less bassy to gr07s but strong in mids and smoother highs.....you might want to consider the cable bq while buying re400, as the cable failure is more evident even if its used sparingly and with nicely babied ones,complained by many users.....

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #6,763 of 7,982

My direct upgrade to the GR07 would be the CKR9, but I don't know if you want to spend that much or not. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #6,765 of 7,982
You can try recabling from btg audio if the cost work outs to be cheaper than getting new re400 ($79.xx) or classic ($92.xx).....re400s are less bassy to gr07s but strong in mids and smoother highs.....you might want to consider the cable bq while buying re400, as the cable failure is more evident even if its used sparingly and with nicely babied ones,complained by many users.....

Kinda agree with the cable issues based on my experience with RE0 last time. Recabling might not work for me I presume, but the thought of still having the articulating nozzle of R07 makes me wanna reconsider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back