VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #6,722 of 7,982
  Surprisingly no. It even reduces some of the harshness.

I believe it depends on the exact shape of the tip. But in general:

- nozzle diameter < (smaller than) bore diameter -> treble gets increased and bass maybe decreased

- nozzle diameter > bore  diameter -> treble gets decreased and bass maybe increased

- nozzle diameter > bore diameter till half of it and half of the bore < bore out diameter -> sub bass is increased and treble is not very decreased (vsonic foams)

In general, foams reduce bass impact and some treble (depends on foam exact material - harder or soft for instance). 

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #6,724 of 7,982

I'm embarrassed to say that despite owning the Classics for a long time now, I only recently found THE tips for me, I found a pair of Soundmagic tips from an E10 or E30 that I'd overlooked, very wide barrel but still fit well over the GR07 nozzle.

My god, the soundstage went from "pretty good" to "holy ****, I am in the room", and the treble spikes evened out tremendously well, only a slight bump here and sibilance is now very controlled.

Very worth experimenting with different tips till the cows come home.

which ones ?

active, isolation or comfort?

also what is 's till the cows come home.' ?

Dec 12, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #6,725 of 7,982
  which ones ?

active, isolation or comfort?

also what is 's till the cows come home.' ?

The specific tips I use can be seen fitted on the Soundmagic E10 in this picture:

http://penonaudio.com/image/cache/data/SoundMAGIC/E10/e10_zps9a3c25c0-700x700.jpg

There is a smaller version of it visible on the left nearest the camera aswell, with barrel seems to be the same diameter but the overall tip is one size smaller then the one fitted on the earphones in the picture.

"Untill the cows come home" was meant as "it's worth experimenting endlessly", if you can appreciate some subtle differences in resonant frequencies, dynamics, etc.

EDIT: Here's another picture of the tips in question: 

The soundmagics also have a wider barrell than the GR07s so the size seems even bigger on the Vsonic. I have alot of similar size tips but they all are too big to fit on the GR07 barrell, they just fall off due to loose fit. These however are just tight enough to grip on the ridge of the GR07 barrell, and the stem is stiff enough where it won't easily slide off.

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #6,726 of 7,982
Good afternoon Gr07 enthusiasts!  I have a quick question.  Black Friday sale I purchased the Hifiman Re-400 on sale. I listen to Jazz and classical all in lossless formats on a clip+.  I feel I am missing a little bit of bass extension with the Re-400's when I listen to my Jazz recordings.  Would the Gr07 be a HUGE improvement, or should I look at spending more money or read into a BA iem for the sound I am looking for.  Clear high's, mids' and decent clean accurate bass for the bass violins and chello's.  Thanks for your input!

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #6,727 of 7,982
  Good afternoon Gr07 enthusiasts!  I have a quick question.  Black Friday sale I purchased the Hifiman Re-400 on sale. I listen to Jazz and classical all in lossless formats on a clip+.  I feel I am missing a little bit of bass extension with the Re-400's when I listen to my Jazz recordings.  Would the Gr07 be a HUGE improvement, or should I look at spending more money or read into a BA iem for the sound I am looking for.  Clear high's, mids' and decent clean accurate bass for the bass violins and chello's.  Thanks for your input!

The RE-400 seems to have a dynamic driver and a very flat response all the way down to 20Hz. It seems it would be quite uncolored for jazz for example. Are you sure you're missing bass extention, and not just wanting a bit more bass? If you use the EQ on your phone or PC player and add more bass around 50HZ or so, does that give you more of the response you are looking for?

BA IEMs in general do not have the same bass response of dynamic drivers, they tend to be tighter, quicker and not overly emphasized. Perhaps not the way to go, although BA IEMs can certainly sound very full depending on tuning.

If you can, experiment with the tips with your RE-400. Try to find narrower bore tips since those tend to slightly dampen the higher frequencies and thus will give the bass more presence. Or go very wide bore since that in my experience with the GR07s can change the dynamics and give the bass lots of room to really move air.

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #6,728 of 7,982
Ok, I'll definately give it a try, and maybe that is right with the EQ. I just have always preferred never to EQ my music.  I'll play with the tips on my re-400.  I bought them because they were very flat and I liked that, because in my eyes the flatter the response from my iem/player then the more my music will sound as the artist intended.  My ear tends to sometimes be used to my car audio competition days where SPL was key, wasn't until past 3 years I got into SQ more so than loudness.  I'll have to keep researching what sounds best for my ears, or maybe I should look into some headphones instead for home use with my clip+.  I know majority of them should bring all frequencies a bit better than a driver of this size. This has gotten off subject though, so I'll move this into a different thread.  Gr07's will be mine though, based solely on everybody making them the best $150 and under IEM it seems.  Thanks for your responses!

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #6,729 of 7,982
  Ok, I'll definately give it a try, and maybe that is right with the EQ. I just have always preferred never to EQ my music.  I'll play with the tips on my re-400.  I bought them because they were very flat and I liked that, because in my eyes the flatter the response from my iem/player then the more my music will sound as the artist intended.  My ear tends to sometimes be used to my car audio competition days where SPL was key, wasn't until past 3 years I got into SQ more so than loudness.  I'll have to keep researching what sounds best for my ears, or maybe I should look into some headphones instead for home use with my clip+.  I know majority of them should bring all frequencies a bit better than a driver of this size. This has gotten off subject though, so I'll move this into a different thread.  Gr07's will be mine though, based solely on everybody making them the best $150 and under IEM it seems.  Thanks for your responses!

after personally owning both the re400s and the gr07be for over a year now ( i have yet to do any official reviews on them.. shame on me =0! they will come soon though). i think i can confidently say this:

the gr07 (even though i have the bass edition) is more emphasized in the bass and punches faster and quicker as well (the re400s i find have a more medium speed and decay which is more versatile for other genres because *sometimes * just sometimes the quickness of the gr07be doesn't provide the richness for r&b when bass notes linger a bit (which i think can be satisfying as well in its own aspect)

, and the subbass presence is more full than the re400s which i find rolled off. however the re400 i think do a better job centring the image and providing a vivid imaging. where as the gr07be sound a bit diffuse. this is something i've noticed

and the midrange is more recessed on the gr07, compared to the fairly midcentric re400 (which just takes you in). both are on the drier side, and fairly lean throughout so in terms of clarity theres no real winner. but definitely vocals stand out more on the re400. and its less peaky for the female vocals which i know some will prefer

for the 1st bolded line: try some sony hybrids, they warm up the sound more and make the bass slightly more impactful and as @Airlight stated it dampens the treble a bit

the 2nd bolded line, sometimes the music as the artist intended may not sit well for your ears and your preferences (theres no shame in it) thats why there aren't many completely neutral headphones out there. theres always some sort of colouration somewhere.

i myself like a bit more bass and treble in my music, if it sounds good to you (you shouldn't worry about the frequency response). or how flat it is

off topic but i thought the havi b3 pro 1 were fairly neutral with a bit a dip in the midrange to my ears but when i saw the measurements on innerfidelity i was awe- struck on how bad they looked on.. aside from the channel imbalance issue

just my 2cents 

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #6,730 of 7,982
The lingering effect I think is what I was looking for.  The re-400 have bass details, but in some of my jazz you really want the bass to linger on some notes and these IEM's punch and move to the next note rather quickly. I know I'm asking immediately for the holy grail of IEM's and honestly majority of us here have not found the perfect iem's because we are all different. Thus the saying "Sorry about your wallet!"  it's just going to dig deeper and deeper into it now.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #6,731 of 7,982
i have finally done it! i'm so sorry for the late comparison but here it is ! the VSONIC VS3S vs GR07 (in my case the BE edition)

you can watch it in video or read my more detailed written passage below!

The Gr07Be and the VSD3s take on a more v shaped sound signature but the GR07Bes are definitely the more balanced of the two. The vsd3s have a much more substantial midbass and a lower treble. The Gr07Be have a somewhat mild V shape sound signature in comparision. I would still consider the BE versions fairly neutral.
The bass on the vsd3s have a stronger midbass punch and overall more tilted towards the bass. The bass is not as tight or as textured or fast sounding as the Gr07Be. The GR07s as a result have a cleaner and leaner sound overall. Kick drums have a more sense of realism and more defined on the gr07be than on the vsd3s.So the vsd3s can sound a bit slow or sloppy for more upbeat, contemporary music.  I think the bass on the vsd3s has a more richness and works better for R&b and slower songs where a bit less bass decay provides more a satisfying experience. 

In an analogy, The bass on the vsd3s is similar to manner of drinking wine or whiskey where the slower bass on the vsd3s allows you to savour the  flavor longer compared to drinking vodka (in this case the bass on the GR07BE, which is quick and nimble) where you drink it as a one shot, quick and impactful. However, again for the price, that said I think the vsd3s provides a lot of value, just like their older brother the Gr07BE for different reasons.

The midrange has more body and is more forward on the vsd3s. However,I think the clarity suffers from the richness of the sound as a result, there’s a some smearing in terms of vocals and instrument separation. 
The gr07be’s midrange is more recessed but leaner and clearer overall, vocals retain great timbre and tonality, but squeezes out more detail like the depth of the breathes taken, and  effort the singers makes when hitting notes.  The midrange on the gr07Be’s are behind the bass and the treble but I really don’t see the midrange being lost in any sort of manner in terms of presentation, this tuning allows the BEs to have more “funner” sound signature, giving way the deep punch in the bass and a shimmer treble on the other side. This thinner midrange might not be everyone’s cup of tea because it makes the vocals sound slightly diffuse. This is especially the case for those that like more body or warmth in the vocals creating a more intimate presentation.

The treble of the vsd3s share a striking resemblance with the gr07be. By this I mean that the treble is has a nice crispness to them, which gives female vocals and piano notes more edge and character, however this kind of treble is peaky and it’s not for those that are treble sensitive or those that like to listen to their music loud. The VSD3S are smooth in all aspects up until the treble.  At first, when I got the Gr07BE, I did find the treble to be a bit peaky, which does point out the siblance and the harshness in music, however over time I was able to adapt and love the sound. For example, the cymbals crashes have nice textured snap and shimmer for me while I’ve heard from many people saying that the treble was just too jarring for other. The biggest difference in the treble is that the gr07Be have a more “airer”  (especially for stringed instruments like violin and harps) and more extended treble which makes the soundstage more expansive, and it feels more like the sound is around you than in your head. The vsd3s as a result sound more closed in as result, however it does extend fairly well, but its not as finely tuned in terms of detailing in the treble, for example guitars have very nice imaging and you can easily “see”/ hear” the reverberations each strum made and pianos notes have more emotion and effort in them.

Sound conclusion:
I think it’s a perfect recommendation for someone’s 3rd earphone, after owning a bassy and a neutral earphone, and they are trying to find a middle ground between the two, without going to far in either direction.
The vsd3s I find is their slightly slower little brother both in the bass and the treble, where the gr07Bes have more detail, more shimmer and snap to it.
The vsd3s I think is better for the “budget audiophile” someone looking for a package that provides fantastic value at its low price with a bassy, exciting sound.
The difference in terms of sound quality is not huge by any means, and that’s no slight to the already over achieving and widely acclaimed Gr07/ BE (at the orignal price of $179), but that just makes the VS3Ds a fantastic buy at ($45-65).

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #6,732 of 7,982
Hi,
I have already ordered my GR07 but yet to get it.
Will addition of fiio E11k amp to Moto G /Fiiox1 and pairing it with GR07 will enhance SQ significantly? OR fiiox1 with only GR07 (without fiioE11K) would be sufficient? In other words does GR07 really demand/benifit from amp?
I use FLAC files. 
Regards,

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #6,733 of 7,982
Good day Headfiers!

I'll jump in the discussion here! I just purchased my father an ibasso dx50, and he wants "some of those fancy earphones you wear" as well.  He and I have the same music taste, Jazz, classical, and some meditation type music (excuse my ignorance). Would these pair well with his new unit?  Is there enough bass for accurate detailed retrieval when listening to Jazz?  He is not a basshead but he is looking for the best sound possible, but of course with my $150 budget for Christmas!  Thanks in advance!

Edit: I've inquired on this thread previously, but I keep hearing so many good things about these iem's that I had to come pick your brains once again!  I guess I am more so questioning the synergy between this IEM and the DX50. I'm sure one of the most popular IEM's and midrange DAP's have been paired together.

Happy Listening!

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #6,734 of 7,982
Hi,
I have already ordered my GR07 but yet to get it.
Will addition of fiio E11k amp to Moto G /Fiiox1 and pairing it with GR07 will enhance SQ significantly? OR fiiox1 with only GR07 (without fiioE11K) would be sufficient? In other words does GR07 really demand/benifit from amp?
I use FLAC files. 
Regards,

Dont waste your money on amps.....GR07 sounds good direct from most of the sources....

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #6,735 of 7,982
Good day Headfiers!

I'll jump in the discussion here! I just purchased my father an ibasso dx50, and he wants "some of those fancy earphones you wear" as well.  He and I have the same music taste, Jazz, classical, and some meditation type music (excuse my ignorance). Would these pair well with his new unit?  Is there enough bass for accurate detailed retrieval when listening to Jazz?  He is not a basshead but he is looking for the best sound possible, but of course with my $150 budget for Christmas!  Thanks in advance!

Edit: I've inquired on this thread previously, but I keep hearing so many good things about these iem's that I had to come pick your brains once again!  I guess I am more so questioning the synergy between this IEM and the DX50. I'm sure one of the most popular IEM's and midrange DAP's have been paired together.

Happy Listening!

I have the pairing, it will sound fine, depending how portable he needs it - it will go further with an amp from DX50 line out later, not so much for GR07 but help the DX50 soundstage. Alternatively, if Santa found an extra $50 I'd recommend Dunu DN-1000 personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back