VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #6,676 of 7,982
ok....yeah I read yesterday that you handle them good.....but so its not the 3.5mm jack or the cable at any point nor the shells bit the dust,but it just the drivers bit the dust?on all the 3 gr07 iterations you had?....is my understanding correct? Thats very very annoying all the 3 died on similar fashion......agreed.

Ah no just one of my 3 pairs died. The mk2. One day the right driver just stop working.
But my BE was not without problems. Somehow the left driver got detached from the cable. I bring them to a friend working for an audio shop, he recabled them with silver cables. And then it got even bassier. Couldnt stand em so I sold them to another friend. By the time my mk2 died I stop using IEM all together until recently.
One other thing that added to my bad impression about the gr07's build quality is that I recommended them to a lot of friends. So two of my friends got their gr07 broken for some reason I can't remeber, but seeing that the "audiophile " cans that I've used/recommend almost never die over time and use, I almost feel bad for recommending the 07s.

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #6,678 of 7,982
I'm only using them for work so no big deal if anything happens but it probably shouldn't be too hard to get them recabled if need be.

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #6,679 of 7,982
Yep recabling them seems to be quite common, but then the silver cable for my BE actually came from a dead mk2 or so (but it was def gr07). Now I don't know why but over the course of 4 years since I bought my first "audiophile" headphones I've rarely seen the cans die, so the case about gr07s seem a bit abnormal to me. It may as well be that they were more popular than the others. But after my friends superlux die just 2 months after purchase I've lost my faith in Chinese build quality. Nothing to complain about the sound at their price range, though.

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #6,680 of 7,982
Well I feel the vsd3 are too plasticky and the clear housing dont improve things much either. But then for the price I'd recommend them to anyone. Just that build quality again...

Now let me be very clear that I consider myself a fan of the gr07, after all they were to me the first IEMs that could play Rock and Metal properly. But having gone through 3 pairs of those (mk1, BE then mk2), I cannot praise that build quality. They break too easily. Even my cx300, sucky as they sound, have not broken. I don't have a problem with the plastic wearing out or the cables changing colors over time. But it was painful when they break.

interesting you say that, I don't own the cx 300 but i do have their latest upgrade the cx 3.00.

and though i'm not a fan of the sound, sennheiser has really gotten that build quality down! even if its still mostly plastic

i think the vsd3 is a bit lacking in build quality (most of the fault is on the cable) however i think the effort they put in the detachable cable concept and the sound, isolation, and fit. while keeping it sub $50 (my pair of vsd3s was 60-70$, but whatever).

i think is worth it. especially since the cable is swappable so i think its okay. (not all is forgiven, but i think i can over look this just a bit) just a bit

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #6,681 of 7,982
I owned a cx300 many years ago and they never lasted long. That and some cheap Sony iem have been the only ones I've broke since I got into this hobby.

With that being said I'd prefer a replaceable cable when offered although if done poorly it is one more part to go wrong which seems to be the case in the vsd3s which is why they are moving to a fixed cable.

I haven't seen many iem's in this price range that have good build quality and good sound. Something has to be sacrificed here.

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #6,682 of 7,982
Well I've seen a few broken CX300s too but they're mostly with broken cables, with can easily be solved by recabling. Actually 1 or 2 years ago in Hanoi, the CX300 II recabled with silver plugs made waves for the drastic improvement in sound quality. And I think broken cables are user's fault. I mean, for cables like the CX300's what force would be required so that the plug break in half? 

Audiophile headphones/earphones don't break that often like gaming headphones, so I can remember exactly the ones that die not from abuse; and by abuse I meant faults that are absolutely beyond the manufacturers' prevention capability like dropping them into a fan (like I did) or improper amping. Normal use and aging don't count as such. I think it's appropriate to ask for sturdy cable, careful joints between the drivers and the cable and a build that can survive normal usage. Some of the products that I think have poor build quality include the HD448 (and its various sibling) - the joints between the headbands and the cups can easily break if you grab them by the cups - which seem natural to a lot of people; the Gr07s (for one day I just woke up and one driver won't work any more); and the DT880 - infamous for having their coil broken suddenly.

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #6,683 of 7,982
  Well I've seen a few broken CX300s too but they're mostly with broken cables, with can easily be solved by recabling. Actually 1 or 2 years ago in Hanoi, the CX300 II recabled with silver plugs made waves for the drastic improvement in sound quality. And I think broken cables are user's fault. I mean, for cables like the CX300's what force would be required so that the plug break in half? 

Audiophile headphones/earphones don't break that often like gaming headphones, so I can remember exactly the ones that die not from abuse; and by abuse I meant faults that are absolutely beyond the manufacturers' prevention capability like dropping them into a fan (like I did) or improper amping. Normal use and aging don't count as such. I think it's appropriate to ask for sturdy cable, careful joints between the drivers and the cable and a build that can survive normal usage. Some of the products that I think have poor build quality include the HD448 (and its various sibling) - the joints between the headbands and the cups can easily break if you grab them by the cups - which seem natural to a lot of people; the Gr07s (for one day I just woke up and one driver won't work any more); and the DT880 - infamous for having their coil broken suddenly.

What do you mean by improper amping? Amp is too powerful for the headphone or something else?

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #6,684 of 7,982
So i just bought a pair of GR07 BE, i have a pair of Soundmagic e10, hope the Vsonic are better :sweat_smile: I read a lot of positive comments About the GR07BE but they need a burn in of 200 Hours like the gr07 Classic or not?

Really sorry for my Bad english but i'm italian :p Hope you understand me :pray:

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #6,685 of 7,982
So i just bought a pair of GR07 BE, i have a pair of Soundmagic e10, hope the Vsonic are better :sweat_smile: I read a lot of positive comments About the GR07BE but they need a burn in of 200 Hours like the gr07 Classic or not?

Neither my Classics nor my BE changed much from burn in. I thought they did, but switching back and forth with different things showed me it was just my ears adjusting. Just enjoy them and let them burn in naturally. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #6,686 of 7,982
  Neither my Classics nor my BE changed much from burn in. I thought they did, but switching back and forth with different things showed me it was just my ears adjusting. Just enjoy them and let them burn in naturally. 
smily_headphones1.gif

ok, thanks :) What do you think about the difference between the GR07 BE and the soundmagic e10? Are the Vsonic significantly better? I also had a pair of shure 215 which i sold after 2 weeks, they was really uncomfortable for my ears 
confused_face.gif
 But i liked how they sounded.....

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #6,687 of 7,982
  ok, thanks :) What do you think about the difference between the GR07 BE and the soundmagic e10? Are the Vsonic significantly better? I also had a pair of shure 215 which i sold after 2 weeks, they was really uncomfortable for my ears 
confused_face.gif

If the flush design and small housing of the SE215s bothered you, I doubt the GR07 will be much better.

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #6,689 of 7,982
  What do you mean by improper amping? Amp is too powerful for the headphone or something else?

Yes. What I mean is when people turning up the volume too fast while driving small-impendance amp with powerful amps (tube amps, for example). Sorry I'm not a native speaker, what "audio vocabulary" I have I learnt from head-fi since 2010 :D

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #6,690 of 7,982
confused_face.gif

I haven't heard the e10, but based on everything I've heard or read about them, I think I can say that the GR07 is significantly better by a wide margin. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back