VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #4,936 of 7,982
I don't get any sibilance at all but I have the BE edition which may tame that top end a bit (plus I like a crisper sound). I did have to go over the ear and use the blue tips to get good seal but know they sound phnominal that I have the right fit.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #4,937 of 7,982
Quote:
I don't get any sibilance at all but I have the BE edition which may tame that top end a bit (plus I like a crisper sound). I did have to go over the ear and use the blue tips to get good seal but know they sound phnominal that I have the right fit.

I think the housing is holding it back though. Vsonic is re-releasing the 07 is a different housing, and charging $500 for it, so there must be something to it.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #4,938 of 7,982
Quote:
I have a similar problem with my gr07s. My right channel sometimes cuts off or makes some scratching noise when the cable near the plug moves around. Im thinking that its a problem with the plug itself and Im thinking of getting it re-terminated. I've contacted Brian from BTG audio and he told me to verify that its the gr07s and not my other hardware that's causing the problem. Im very sure it's the plug but Im having my friend very the problem before I send them out to Brian.

Anyone else have similar problems or have gotten a successful repair?

i don't get the right channel cutting out, but i definitely get the scratching noise and the sound goes hollow. i'm pretty sure my problem is near the plug too. i've tried it on multiple sources, so i know it's not just one source. if it really is the plug, i guess it'd be cheaper just to get the plug re-terminated, but i'm not 100% sure that's it. i figure $40-$50 isn't too bad for a full cable rebuild anyway. i always wasn't a fan of the cable and the plug always seemed just average toughness to me.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #4,939 of 7,982
I don't think you can get the whole cable changed by BTG, but Brian quoted $30 to re-terminate the plug. I think it's a worthwhile try, and it's much cheaper than just buying a whole new pair.

On a side note, the orange tips had the best sound/fit for me. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #4,940 of 7,982
Quote:
i don't get the right channel cutting out, but i definitely get the scratching noise and the sound goes hollow. i'm pretty sure my problem is near the plug too. i've tried it on multiple sources, so i know it's not just one source. if it really is the plug, i guess it'd be cheaper just to get the plug re-terminated, but i'm not 100% sure that's it. i figure $40-$50 isn't too bad for a full cable rebuild anyway. i always wasn't a fan of the cable and the plug always seemed just average toughness to me.

Does wiggling the cable near the plug make a difference? Try gently moving it from side to side and also gently pulling on it near the plug to see if the problem is there.

It should definitely be cheaper to get a new plug only, but I can't argue against using it as an excuse to upgrade the whole cable! 
beerchug.gif

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #4,941 of 7,982
Quote:

Does wiggling the cable near the plug make a difference? Try gently moving it from side to side and also gently pulling on it near the plug to see if the problem is there.

It should definitely be cheaper to get a new plug only, but I can't argue against using it as an excuse to upgrade the whole cable! 
beerchug.gif

it definitely causes the scratching noise/hollow sound to come out. but it also happens when i move the cable a certain way, although if i had to guess, it's most when the cable is moved in a way where it affects near the plug.

Quote:
I don't think you can get the whole cable changed by BTG, but Brian quoted $30 to re-terminate the plug. I think it's a worthwhile try, and it's much cheaper than just buying a whole new pair.

On a side note, the orange tips had the best sound/fit for me. 

definitely can get the whole cable changed. someone from here had it done, and he showed me the picture when i contacted him, so it's definitely doable.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #4,942 of 7,982
Welp, looks like it won't be happening guys:

Code:
[color=rgb(42, 42, 42)] I have already tried too many times. Trust me the last thing I want is  a write up on head-fi with me doing 11mm driver. Sorry but they just  cause too many problems. You know thousands if not millions go into the  designs of the housings for the dynamics so not very many IEM reshellers  will have the technology to deliver sound to the canal with such a large  transducer. Getting the sound to the ear is the first problem. The next problem is  creating the environments for the transducer to be optimized to sound  like the original. In my experience it is impossible. I have just had too much problems  with dynamics and am seriously considering not even doing the smaller ones. Thanks again. Rob.[/color]

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #4,944 of 7,982
Quote:

it definitely causes the scratching noise/hollow sound to come out. but it also happens when i move the cable a certain way, although if i had to guess, it's most when the cable is moved in a way where it affects near the plug.

definitely can get the whole cable changed. someone from here had it done, and he showed me the picture when i contacted him, so it's definitely doable.

If that's the case, then I might as well just get my gr07's recabled 
beyersmile.png

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #4,945 of 7,982
Just got my GR07 Mk2s today.

I've compared them straight out of the box (without any burn-in) with my Miracles and they stack up really well.

Very similar signature and presentation. As you'd expect, the Miracles are better in basically every area, but they really are like a GR07 on steroids rather than a vastly different earphone. In other words, if you like GR07, you'd probably like the Miracles.

Initial impressions are that the Miracles are more open in staging and detail retrieval is superior. The GR07s may improve in both areas with burn-in, but I don't expect them to catch up.

What's impressively similar is the balance of the sound. Both earphones cover the full frequency range really well without any obvious emphasis. More listening may reveal some differences, but early impressions are really good!

One plus for the GR07s is the fact that they're 50 ohm earphones and will run really nicely from a lot of different sources. For instance, the GR07s actually sound smoother running straight from my AudioQuest DragonFly DAC whereas the 16 ohm Miracles are a little rough from the DragonFly and really benefit from the control (not power/volume) of an amplifier (Tralucent T1 in this case).

All-in-all I'm really impressed with the GR07s and can't wait to hear them after burn-in.

How long do you recommend before they reach their optimum sound?

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #4,946 of 7,982
Quote:
I have a similar problem with my gr07s. My right channel sometimes cuts off or makes some scratching noise when the cable near the plug moves around. Im thinking that its a problem with the plug itself and Im thinking of getting it re-terminated. I've contacted Brian from BTG audio and he told me to verify that its the gr07s and not my other hardware that's causing the problem. Im very sure it's the plug but Im having my friend very the problem before I send them out to Brian.

Anyone else have similar problems or have gotten a successful repair?

I had the same problem, had it re-termed, and it's happening again. I didn't use BTG, just a local shop here in Saigon. If you want it done right, BTG is as good an option as any.

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #4,948 of 7,982
Quote:
Ear guides or no? What do you find - are they necessary?

Depends on how soft and pliable the cables are and also depends on how active you are. If you are planning on listening in the gym and your cables don't have memory wire, then yes, cable guides might be good.

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #4,949 of 7,982
Quote:
Just got my GR07 Mk2s today.

I've compared them straight out of the box (without any burn-in) with my Miracles and they stack up really well.

Very similar signature and presentation. As you'd expect, the Miracles are better in basically every area, but they really are like a GR07 on steroids rather than a vastly different earphone. In other words, if you like GR07, you'd probably like the Miracles.

Initial impressions are that the Miracles are more open in staging and detail retrieval is superior. The GR07s may improve in both areas with burn-in, but I don't expect them to catch up.

What's impressively similar is the balance of the sound. Both earphones cover the full frequency range really well without any obvious emphasis. More listening may reveal some differences, but early impressions are really good!

One plus for the GR07s is the fact that they're 50 ohm earphones and will run really nicely from a lot of different sources. For instance, the GR07s actually sound smoother running straight from my AudioQuest DragonFly DAC whereas the 16 ohm Miracles are a little rough from the DragonFly and really benefit from the control (not power/volume) of an amplifier (Tralucent T1 in this case).

All-in-all I'm really impressed with the GR07s and can't wait to hear them after burn-in.

How long do you recommend before they reach their optimum sound?

After 80 - 90 hours the soundstage and seperation will be on another level than out of the box. Big difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back