VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #4,456 of 7,982
GR07 recabling service available in China! Here's some pictures:

Check the link bellow and thank fellow Head-Fi'er semperfi for find this:

here we go:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.1.1000638.225.mGrZ6W&id=9515455234
I was thinking to upgrade mine but I have no idea nor knowledge of what different does it make + I don't understand chinese (don't ask how I found this LOL)

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #4,457 of 7,982
Quote:
Amazing. Watch in 720p, and wait for it to kick you @ 1:49

this sounds awesome in my ex85lp. hahaha....  the bass is really deep like a subwoofer in my ears. haha.  can't wait till i get my upgrade though. :)

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #4,458 of 7,982
I've been a GR07 fanboy for about a year now, but I'm looking to upgrade. Can anybody recommend something that sounds similar to the GR07 but is a significant upgrade (build quality, detachable cables, etc.)? I love these, but I'm having cable issues and will be needing a replacement before long...I may send them off to BTG to see if Brian can re-cable them (he has already told me it's a risky proposition).

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #4,459 of 7,982
I've been a GR07 fanboy for about a year now, but I'm looking to upgrade. Can anybody recommend something that sounds similar to the GR07 but is a significant upgrade (build quality, detachable cables, etc.)? I love these, but I'm having cable issues and will be needing a replacement before long...I may send them off to BTG to see if Brian can re-cable them (he has already told me it's a risky proposition).

Look at my profile to see the list of earphones I've gone through, and I've yet to find one that's clearly better. Though, I've been told by James444 that the EX1000 retains a fairly similar signature, but is more refined up top.

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #4,460 of 7,982
The Sony isn't nearly as comfortable from what I've read...it really is hard to imagine a headphone that stomps all over it, but I thought that perhaps there'd be something that is a definite upgrade...perhaps I'll just wait for the GR08.

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #4,462 of 7,982
Yeah, that's a deal breaker for me - I can wear the 07s under my motorcycle helmet with zero problems - they're low profile and I can't really be without tunes during my commute. I've had my eye on the Heir 4Ai lately, but I haven't read a comparison between the two...they certainly look great and most are very, very pleased with the performance.

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #4,463 of 7,982
Yeah, that's a deal breaker for me - I can wear the 07s under my motorcycle helmet with zero problems - they're low profile and I can't really be without tunes during my commute. I've had my eye on the Heir 4Ai lately, but I haven't read a comparison between the two...they certainly look great and most are very, very pleased with the performance.

If its for portable use, the GR07 is more than sufficient especially if its usd when riding a motorcycle. I very much like my 4.Ai. Warmer and overall more pleasant sound signature with great detail. I find an amp to be pretty helpful with it though.

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #4,464 of 7,982
Quote:

Here you go:

Ok.

The most obvious differences b/w the 4Ai and the GR07 MKII:

The 4Ai wins hands down in soundstage height. The advantage of this is that the 4Ai presents a more expansive and airy sound than the relatively compressed GR07. This gives sound cues more room to play around in, and makes acoustic recordings more impressive.

The GR07 has better presence in the sub-bass regions, along with better crunch in the mids for guitars.I *think* the mids might be slightly more present on the GR07, but it's a tough one to call. The soundstage height limits the GR07 in terms of dynamics as well.

I'm not going to call which is better, as I see this as being a case of personal tastes. I found myself reaching for the 4Ai for acoustic type songs, where as I reached for the GR07 for things like rock, reggae, etc.

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #4,465 of 7,982
Thanks for that - quite useful, especially since I listen to a lot of acoustic music...the sub-bass from the GR07 is fairly epic and it's quite good with amplified music...hmmm...the gears are turning.

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #4,466 of 7,982
Quote:
Thanks for that - quite useful, especially since I listen to a lot of acoustic music...the sub-bass from the GR07 is fairly epic and it's quite good with amplified music...hmmm...the gears are turning.

Well, if your GR07 is the original version, I guess a good step up would be a GR07 MK2 and a GR07 BASS! One to relax and enjoy the music, and the other for fun... 
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #4,467 of 7,982
If your wanting to upgrade over the GR07 I don't think the MKII is the way to go, that's more a side step imo.  Now I know a lot of people might disagree but I think the BA200 would be a nice little step up for around the same price as the GR07.  It reminds me of the GR07 but with a better soundstage and imaging because the GR07 doesn't have good depth to the soundstage at all imo.  I'd like to hear the MKII sometime to see just how much better it is than the original because they have the same specs and I don't see a cable changing them that much.

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #4,468 of 7,982
Quote:
If your wanting to upgrade over the GR07 I don't think the MKII is the way to go, that's more a side step imo.  Now I know a lot of people might disagree but I think the BA200 would be a nice little step up for around the same price as the GR07.  It reminds me of the GR07 but with a better soundstage and imaging because the GR07 doesn't have good depth to the soundstage at all imo.  I'd like to hear the MKII sometime to see just how much better it is than the original because they have the same specs and I don't see a cable changing them that much.

I could lend you mine, seeing how we live about 3 hours from each other.

As for the GR07's soundstage, the depth is not the issue. After comparing to the 4.Ai, I realized that the only SS quality that the 07 lacked, compared to the 4.Ai, is height. 

Both are equally deep, and the GR07 is possibly wider. However, the GR07's compressed height wreaks (relative) havoc on the sound. Not only does it affect the soundstage, it also hampers the perceived dynamic range when things really get going. Listen closely to a really intense classical piece, and you'll notice that the instruments don't really reach that far up, whereas the 4Ai could reach a little further up, improving the feeling of dynamics.

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #4,469 of 7,982
I could lend you mine, seeing how we live about 3 hours from each other.

As for the GR07's soundstage, the depth is not the issue. After comparing to the 4.Ai, I realized that the only SS quality that the 07 lacked, compared to the 4.Ai, is height. 

Both are equally deep, and the GR07 is possibly wider. However, the GR07's compressed height wreaks (relative) havoc on the sound. Not only does it affect the soundstage, it also hampers the perceived dynamic range when things really get going. Listen closely to a really intense classical piece, and you'll notice that the instruments don't really reach that far up, whereas the 4Ai could reach a little further up, improving the feeling of dynamics.

Mmm... I would have to say the 4.Ai has more depth as well compared to the GR07... Maybe ill do a closer A/Bing to see about that. Maybe its the fact that the 4.Ai is more 3D overall. Never actually listen to the two one after another or A/Bed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back