VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #2,371 of 7,982

Quote:
Quote:

Personally I'm not a fan of ipods. Mine was given to me after my Clip+ had broke, and I found the sudden loss of quality (using headphone out) infuriating, especially given that there was no Rockbox for the Nano 5th at the time. Things improved significantly after I introduced my E11, or Cmmoy, via the LOD. When the Clip+ went down in price, I bought it again and have not used the Ipod since. 

That however is just my personal experience, and without wanting to get off of subject, the GR-07 will sound excellent through an Ipod LOD and E11. In your case it should eliminate the need for EQ, as it will give you the bottom end that you're after.

Thanks for the info. My iPod was a xmas gift from my wife who "didn't know what to get me," so I can't complain too much. It gave me a means to listen to my lossless audio on the go and not drain the battery on my phone at the same time. 

After spending time researching today, I picked up the E11 from Micca with the L9. Hopefully it will be here in the next couple of days. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #2,373 of 7,982
Yeah, quite an overkill for bass if you go up the contour levels. I keep it in the green region and its not a bad change of sound signature.

Quote:
Mradrian, have you paired the GR07 with the ZO2?

I guess it depends on whether you think the bass is enough on the GR07, if you sometimes eq it a bit of desire for more bass - mostly quantity since quality is already quite good with the GR07 - then ZO2 is the right thing to go for.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #2,374 of 7,982

Quote:
There are certainly BA driver-based IEMs that have better clarity than the GR07 (ER4P/S, DBA-02, CK10, just to name a few), but the GR07 has excellent clarity for a dynamic driver IEM; I don't believe you'll be losing out on that end. I haven't personally heard the A151, but from what I've read about SR armature drivers, I think it's safe to say that the GR07 has the advantage in clarity.

The GR-07's have exactly the same clarity of the triple BA Westone UM3X that I used to listen to everyday and more clarity than the triple BA Earsonics SM3 that I got too for quite some time. If you want to read one more (mini) review with a direct comparison with the UM3X, just click on my sig. At about 200 hours, they sound pretty much like the same IEM for half the price. More details/elaboration on my mini-review.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #2,375 of 7,982
I'm about to take an chance and order the GR01. I hope they don't disappoint...

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #2,377 of 7,982

Quote:
I may be hallucinating, but the stock large single flange tips seem to offer a slightly more 3D soundstage vs the Jays tips

I think that's genuine enough - my experience was exactly the same. To my ears the only other tips which match the stock medium / large tips in terms of balance and soundstage, are the Sony Hybrids, which share the same small opening.

Perhaps the drivers were tuned to provide optimum sonic qualities through the smaller openings of the stock tips, rather than the wider opening of the Jays? That said, it could just as easily be down to my ear canals, as several people have reported positive results with the Jays.

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #2,378 of 7,982

Quote:
I think that's genuine enough - my experience was exactly the same. To my ears the only other tips which match the stock medium / large tips in terms of balance and soundstage, are the Sony Hybrids, which share the same small opening.

Perhaps the drivers were tuned to provide optimum sonic qualities through the smaller openings of the stock tips, rather than the wider opening of the Jays? That said, it could just as easily be down to my ear canals, as several people have reported positive results with the Jays.

I find that the double-flanges actually give me an even bigger and airier soundstage, though there may be an increase in sibilance. (I have to check for that)

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #2,379 of 7,982
I've had my GR07s for a while now, and I'm still not totally used to them. Just when I start to get used to what I think is a slight lack of bass, I put on a bass heavy track and get round-house kicked by the GR07's low end. Have I mentioned that I love these earphones? Cause I do. I really do.

For anyone who doubts the bas power of the GR07, check this out. Watch in 720p for decent quality audio

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #2,380 of 7,982
I just got the GR07s yesterday, so this is a very initial impression (white box version).  Doing a side by side with my MTPCs, the GR07s definitely come out ahead, much more neutral than the MTPCs with much better high end extension.  The music from the MTPCs is colored in comparison.  Yet, the GR07s give a nice bass punch, extending down and down.  I also ran a quick comparison to my UMX3s.  The GR07s don't have the precision of the UMX3s, nor their ergonomics, low microphonics cable and sound isolation.  Outside of that, there are a lot of similarities in the sound signature on first blush.  And the UMX3s were about 2x more expensive.

In other words, the GR07s are excellent and will likely be moving to the top of my dynamic driver IEM comparison (got to finish the burn in and comparisons).

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #2,381 of 7,982

Quote:
I just got the GR07s yesterday, so this is a very initial impression (white box version).  Doing a side by side with my MTPCs, the GR07s definitely come out ahead, much more neutral than the MTPCs with much better high end extension.  The music from the MTPCs is colored in comparison.  Yet, the GR07s give a nice bass punch, extending down and down.  I also ran a quick comparison to my UMX3s.  The GR07s don't have the precision of the UMX3s, nor their ergonomics, low microphonics cable and sound isolation.  Outside of that, there are a lot of similarities in the sound signature on first blush.  And the UMX3s were about 2x more expensive.

In other words, the GR07s are excellent and will likely be moving to the top of my dynamic driver IEM comparison (got to finish the burn in and comparisons).

Glad you like it. I upgraded from the MTPCs too.

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #2,382 of 7,982
The GR-07's mids are identical to the UM3X. You almost can't notice you have changed the IEM, such are the similarities of the vocals. I think this is what most impresses UM3X owners. But when you start looking at other details, you notice that the UM3X extra bass gives another level of energy to the beat. Also the treble is more refined, with better definition and they have a 3D spacialization/imaging, whereas the GR-07 are quite 2D. But overall they are pretty identical, due to vocals and sound sig. They don't substitute the UM3X, but are the best backup one can find at half the price. For the price I'm very impressed with these IEMs. They beat IE8, Monster Miles Davis Tribute, Panasonic HJE900, DBA-02, j-phonic K2 SP, Sony EX1000 (on my opinion), etc.

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #2,383 of 7,982
Here's a (free) possible solution to those struggling with extreme sibilance.

What you're hearing may be due to resonant peaks in your ear canals. Remember the ear canal goes in and up, so put those articulating nozzles on the GR07 to use. I've adjusted mine to point directly up. I hope this helps someone.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #2,384 of 7,982

Quote:
The GR-07's mids are identical to the UM3X. You almost can't notice you have changed the IEM, such are the similarities of the vocals. I think this is what most impresses UM3X owners. But when you start looking at other details, you notice that the UM3X extra bass gives another level of energy to the beat. Also the treble is more refined, with better definition and they have a 3D spacialization/imaging, whereas the GR-07 are quite 2D. But overall they are pretty identical, due to vocals and sound sig. They don't substitute the UM3X, but are the best backup one can find at half the price. For the price I'm very impressed with these IEMs. They beat IE8, Monster Miles Davis Tribute, Panasonic HJE900, DBA-02, j-phonic K2 SP, Sony EX1000 (on my opinion), 

I appreciate all the comparisons, especially with the UM3X. I never got to try them. These Gr-07's are something special. I have some JVC-TC90's coming, and looking forward to it

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #2,385 of 7,982
Quote:
I appreciate all the comparisons, especially with the UM3X. I never got to try them. These Gr-07's are something special. I have some JVC-TC90's coming, and looking forward to it

Thanks miow, I really like to see these comparisons with the top tiers like UM3X, EX1000, etc.

Dear Freefallr4545, I am looking forward for your comparisons with FXT90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back