VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #2,357 of 7,982

Quote:
So does anyone have any experience with portable amps like the E11 or any other amps (non portable included) for that matter?

I have used the GRO7 with E11 and TTVJ slim. I prefer the TTVJ - especialy with my DIYmod 5th gen :D 

I know alot of people dont think the GRO7 benefit from amping but It depends on your tastes and the size of your pockets I guess!

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #2,358 of 7,982

Quote:
I was thinking about picking up another pair of these, however I am in search of the older (but still brand new and sealed) burgundy box.

Try PMing some Ebayers. I bet there are a few laying around

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #2,360 of 7,982

Quote:
I was thinking about picking up another pair of these, however I am in search of the older (but still brand new and sealed) burgundy box.

I think you'd want the newer version. The cable is a whole lot more supple on the newer version, and it they use a lot more glue (IMO) to combat the strain relief issue.

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #2,362 of 7,982

Quote:
So does anyone have any experience with portable amps like the E11 or any other amps (non portable included) for that matter?

I paired the GR-07s with an E11 (using Clip+ or Ipod lod) and can confirm that it's an excellent synergy. It improved the soundstage and gave the bottom end much more authority.

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #2,363 of 7,982

Quote:
I paired the GR-07s with an E11 (using Clip+ or Ipod lod) and can confirm that it's an excellent synergy. It improved the soundstage and gave the bottom end much more authority.

This is really what I am looking for. My iPod touch seems to drive the GR07 fine, but I wish I had some more control over the EQ. I find the pre-set EQ on the iPod to be pretty lackluster and wish there was just a tad more bass on some tracks. I was looking at the e17 as more of a "future investment" for when I begin to purchase other IEMs, but its more than I am wanting to spend right now and I am satisfied with sticking with the GR07 for now. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #2,364 of 7,982

Quote:
This is really what I am looking for. My iPod touch seems to drive the GR07 fine, but I wish I had some more control over the EQ. I find the pre-set EQ on the iPod to be pretty lackluster and wish there was just a tad more bass on some tracks. I was looking at the e17 as more of a "future investment" for when I begin to purchase other IEMs, but its more than I am wanting to spend right now and I am satisfied with sticking with the GR07 for now. 

Yup, this is why I ditched my ipod.  I know a lot of people here are not fans of EQ, but if you are you're much better with another player....Cowon or Sony.  Also, one issue I had with the Nano (I believe the Touch does not have this problem) was clipping when using an EQ.  I had to use ReplayGain to give me some headroom.
Actually, isn't there an app for the touch that allows full EQ control?

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #2,365 of 7,982

Quote:
Yup, this is why I ditched my ipod.  I know a lot of people here are not fans of EQ, but if you are you're much better with another player....Cowon or Sony.  Also, one issue I had with the Nano (I believe the Touch does not have this problem) was clipping when using an EQ.  I had to use ReplayGain to give me some headroom.
Actually, isn't there an app for the touch that allows full EQ control?

Clipping with stock presets was an old firmware issue and doesn't happen on any of the newer generations. For the touch and iPhone you can have full EQ control with apps EQu and Equalizer. You can also get BBE with sonicmax pro. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #2,366 of 7,982

Quote:

Personally I'm not a fan of ipods. Mine was given to me after my Clip+ had broke, and I found the sudden loss of quality (using headphone out) infuriating, especially given that there was no Rockbox for the Nano 5th at the time. Things improved significantly after I introduced my E11, or Cmmoy, via the LOD. When the Clip+ went down in price, I bought it again and have not used the Ipod since. 

That however is just my personal experience, and without wanting to get off of subject, the GR-07 will sound excellent through an Ipod LOD and E11. In your case it should eliminate the need for EQ, as it will give you the bottom end that you're after.

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #2,367 of 7,982

Quote:

Hmm Completely new to amps, Fiio seems to be in my range. But I see E11, E6, E7, whats the major difference, I can;t seem to figure this out too much from their site. I do Love the GR-07 as is howerver

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #2,368 of 7,982

Quote:
Hmm Completely new to amps, Fiio seems to be in my range. But I see E11, E6, E7, whats the major difference, I can;t seem to figure this out too much from their site. I do Love the GR-07 as is howerver

E6 - Tiny budget amp
E7 - A very multifunctional portable DAC/AMP, that could also be docked into a desktop amp named E9 to work together as a desktop DAC (E7) /AMP (E9) combo
E17 - Upgrade of the E7, functionwise they are exactly the same only with superior capabilities, and handles SPDIF, 24/92 etc
E11 - Bigger and much more powerful portable amp than the E6

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #2,369 of 7,982

Quote:

The E6 is tiny (less than 2" square, ~1/4" thick) and more than enough to drive the GR07.  It has 3 equalizer settings (4 if you count pass-through).  I use it on the red setting with BBE Viva on my S9.  The E11 is more powerful, larger (maybe 1/2-1/3 iPhone size), and has a slightly different sound signature.  The E7 is slightly less powerful than the E11 (but more than the E6) and has a USB DAC section to use with your computer.  It's about the same size as an iPhone, maybe a tiny bit smaller.

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #2,370 of 7,982
Wow thanks for the FAST replies, from headfi faithful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back