VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
Sep 20, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #1,501 of 2,697

If you are mixing, I'd suggest something more neutral like the MKII.  They're good for activity since they are over the ear, no microphonics and you can wear the cable behind your neck.  The tips are removable and you can wash the silicone tips easily.  As long as you have a good seal you should have no issues with sweat.

But i've been told the MKII isn't accurate enough, that actually the BE translates bass better or something like that.

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #1,502 of 2,697

But i've been told the MKII isn't accurate enough, that actually the BE translates bass better or something like that.

Go with what you hear man. Audition em. MKII is reference quality accurate. BE is reference quality detail with a little mid bass bump.

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #1,503 of 2,697

The MKII is extremely accurate.  If you want reference monitors, they are tough to beat at the price.  The BEs add a touch more bass (some find it too much)...that's the only difference.  Both are fantastic.

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #1,505 of 2,697

The MKII is extremely accurate.  If you want reference monitors, they are tough to beat at the price.  The BEs add a touch more bass (some find it too much)...that's the only difference.  Both are fantastic.

Yea, I have the MkII and wouldn't want any more bass. These do an outstanding job at translating all the frequencies. I haven't heard the BEs to comment, but like I said, I don't find the MkII to be lacking in bass at all. 

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #1,508 of 2,697
I...think...so?

I had the same trouble with them on my TF10's. Compared to the silicon tips, the foamies tend to shift the frequency curve to the left.

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #1,509 of 2,697
I also found the complys killed the mids and highs until I earn how to put them on correctly. I'm on my mobile so it's a bit hard to post the link but bit sure you can do a search. But the gist of it is to push the tip in then compress the part around the nozzle.
That way the comply foam has no chance of blocking the nozzle exit. Hard to explain, easier to watch the YouTube clip by Tyll

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #1,510 of 2,697
DIY foam tips also are good because they don't extend much pass the nozzle exit

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #1,511 of 2,697
Yes, neutrality is good for monitoring as you don't want any additional coloration to show up in your mix.  They are very close in sound (the BE is still a stage monitor like the rest of the GR07) with the BE having a 2-3dB bump in the mid-low bass and as a result a slight recession in the mids.  They'll likely work fine as it's still fairly neutral overall, but not as neutral as the MKII is.  For example on stage monitoring purposes, I'd say the MKII would be better suited to vocals and guitars, whereas the BE would be more suited to drums and bass guitar.

Sep 21, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #1,512 of 2,697

Here is what I would say, not from experience, but from what I have read about people who mix have said on here. 

Over in the beats hate thread some poster was saying he uses them to mix with and that they work better than the AKG 701s he had, hell they could've been the same Annies that I have.  In general everyone would tell you that the beats suck as reference and the bass is bloated and that the 701s (more so even Annies) are great reference headphones.  The thing is, the AKGs lack bass impact even though they pick up the music notes quite well the impact just isn't there.  When one poster posted some tracks he mixed with both it was noticed that the AKG tracks were quite a bit more bass heavy.  The reason for that is clearly that he was looking for impact in his mix and he had to way over boost the bass to do so.  The mix was much better with the Beats because they are more bloated and give that impact he was looking for so the mix is much milder in the lows. 

Now how this relates to you:  If you tend to add too much bass in songs and want to feel impact in there then I would go with the BE because it will be a more mix and will let the hardware decide the bass response and will keep everything nice and tight.  If you like more bass in your songs and are concerned with not putting enough in then the MKIIs would be the better bet since it will most likely cause you to naturally add more bass to the mix.  This is superior if you want to optimize for the general listener that wont have good gear [not optimized for those with beats (or other bass-head phones) though, which seems to be everyone...] However, it may give them even more bass boost which they will probably love.

I will say this:  if you mix a song on the MKIIs and listen to it on the BEs, you will likely find that bass overpowers a little bit or more than you expected.  If you mix with a BE and then listen to it on a MKII then the mids will sound a lot more prominent and the bass will be a bit subdued in comparison.  This is because mixing with one of these phones and listening to on the other will basically double the effect of any differences between them.

I went with the BEs and I love the Annies so it was a bit of a contrast whereas the MKII more of the same but I dont mix music either.  My thinking was mainly that if the MKIIs were spot on then there would have been no need to make the BE.  The only complaints the MKII every really received was the bass and bam you have the BE.  The only real downside is the slight recession of the mids.  In general for mixing and I believe the soundstage to be the same, based mostly on fit, but the MKII could have the ever so slight advantage with the extra bass slightly damping the stage a bit.  Instrument separation and stereo effects are still more or less on the level of the AKGs. 

Given my brash and rash assessment of your mixing style completely based on that one sentence statement I think the BEs will provide a better result on higher end systems and the MKIIs better on lower end.  The BEs will give a more pure mix and you will end up slightly bloating the bass if you use the MKII (I use this as a negative, you may be into it). 

You cant really go wrong with either, great price great performance. 

Hell pick up two, or even better both and come back with rave reviews and in depth analysis, we'd love you for it you'd be a mini hero and we would all have to listen your music lol. 

I hope this helps!! 

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #1,513 of 2,697
lol great reply, only if I had the money for that

If this is of some help, like I said I own the DT770 Manufaktur, 650ohm.. i've heard some people complaining about "too bassy" when for me, they are accurate. Thats why I was thinking about the BE.
In general, with headphones or anything that isn't actual monitors+subbass you tend to push the bass more than needed, because "you are not feeling it".. but it's a matter of training. At the end of the day you get adapted to the headphone sound and with a ton of hours of listening you find that sweet spot.
But the MK2 is considered "very accuarate" and "non bassy" while some people has said the DT770 is a "bassy" one (which I dont agree with). So maybe what i'll do is buy the MK2 and see what people mean with "non bassy", so I would have the two ends of the spectrum which would be useful to get a even better perspective, if that makes any sense.
What I want some more info about is the background sound blocking features... how good are these IEM at blocking background noise? I hate background noise. I need to upgrade my computer and buy some of these huge Noctua CPU fans for maximun silence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back