VSONIC GR01 Info, Impressions & Appreciation thread
Aug 30, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #91 of 136
I've been enjoying mine a lot as well.. So well that my GR07 just sit there now... 
redface.gif

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #92 of 136
iPhone 4 with a SGP Case (brand) Neo Hybrid 2S (model) bumper case. Vsonic GR01 in a Lowepro brand camera case for storage and protection. I also added a chin slider and a shirt clip to the GR01's. I prefer to wear them down, so the combo of chin slider plus the shirt clip completely eliminates microphonics. The iPhone 4 has more than enough power by itself to feed these and it's just ultra slim and portable.

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #93 of 136
Does anybody want to sell me their supplied double flange tips? Im looking for an extra pair or two.

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #95 of 136
Does anybody know if Shure Black Olives will fit on the GR01s? Alternatively, is there a suitable Comply tip?

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #96 of 136
Well, this was supposed to be a reply to a PM regarding a comparison between the GR01 and HF5, but I managed to get carried away by writing a bit more so I may as well share it with everyone. 
smile.gif

Disclaimer:
I'm not using the GR01 with the included tips that it came with as I couldn't get a comfortable and deep enough fit to avoid its treble from sounding harsh due to lack of seal. Instead I'm using MEElec tri-flanges (TS3) designed for the M6 which I purchased separately. Also, I didn't exactly spend a lot of time to make this comparison which I did (listening and drafting on my iPod) while laying down in bed not falling very sleepy...

Bass:
The HF5 has more quantity, most noticeably the mid-bass. When comparing both IEMs side-by-side, the HF5 has a tiny bit more impact due to having greater quantity. As for the extension, I really can't say much because I always end up going back to the GR07 if the basshead within me surfaces. What I will say though is that they can extend down deep enough to make the lowest notes in some of my electronic music audible. Both have great quality in the bass department, but to my ears, the GR01 trumps the HF5 by being that much more accurate and tight, providing cleaner notes.

Mids:
I'll start off that both both IEMs have very good mids. Both are clear, detailed, and quite neutral. However I feel that the HF5 sounds just slightly less neutral, perhaps due to its slightly thicker presentation. Timbre are excellent in both although once again the GR01 edges out the HF5. On an enjoyable scale I slightly prefer listening to the HF5 although on a technical scale the GR01 wins by being that much more detailed.

Treble:
Before I've even heard the HF5 and GR01, I already had high expectations in the treble department. I've read reviews and noticed that Etymotic, and TWFKs have excellent treble, and I'm not disappointed. Both can extend high and are very detailed while providing sparkle. The HF5 has a slightly elevated treble, but is able to remain non-fatiguing. As for the GR01, I kind of feel the same way mostly due to its slightly lacking bass presence. But for me, I prefer the GR01 overall in the treble department simply because it sounds airier and to my ears at least, has that touch of extra 'shimmer'. However, the GR01 may be more susceptible to sibilance depending on the fit.

Soundstage and detail:
Both have quite a well-rounded soundstage, although doesn't feel as wide and deep as the GR07. However, size-wise the HF5 is slightly smaller leading me to feel a bit more enclosed. The GR01 has a slightly larger soundstage, and for me, I guess size matters when it comes to IEMs.
And as detailed the HF5 already is, the GR01 bests it. The GR01s clarity, instrument separation, presentation, and overall accuracy is better to my ears. 

In short, GR01 > HF5, to my ears at least. 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #97 of 136
I wanted to share my love-hate relationship with my GR01. I got them for about $90 from a friend so i guess I have really nothing to complain about at the price I got them for. Just a disclaimer, i am no audiophile and I don't have golden ears, but would like to share my thoughts as an average, casual listener who loves music. But I am a musician in search for the best IEM i can afford. I hope causal listeners that are new to IEMs will be able to appreciate this. And for the more experienced, i hope you can help me also by critiquing my writeup :)

My setup:

Source: Marantz CD63 MK2 Signature CD Player/macbook pro with USB out to Fiio e10.
Amp: Cary Audio Design sli-30 amplifier upgraded to silver oil caps (yes, they are not headphone amps)
Material:
Sheffield Drive Audio Test CD
Clair Marlo - Let It Go Album (Sheffield CD)
Lee Ritenour Smoke n Mirror CD
Radka Toneff - Farytales (FLAC)
Diana Krall - The Girl in the Other Room and Live in Paris (FLAC)
Acoustic Jazz (Chesky CD)
A number of other tracks (in FLAC)

Initial Impressions:
These things are BRIGHT! And sibilant like a thousand watts of LED lighting shone directly into your eyes. I couldn't listen for more than 5 seconds. Then i noticed that the steel mesh and paper filter are missing. So I experimented with different types of fabric, cotton and even paper, then finally decided to pinch out a small piece of foam from my old Grado SR80 ear pads. After experimenting with different sizes, i ended up with a piece of foam just a little smaller than the tip of a 3.5mm headphone jack. I stuck an identical amount inside each of the earpieces and the sibilance was significantly reduced. I am thinking this is how it sounds with the paper filter and steel mesh. Now i can listen to them with only the slightest hint of sibilance. Don't get me wrong, they are still a lot brighter than my TDK BA200 (which are mid focused and are generally considered "dull" in comparison but not exactly dark). Sibilance is still noticeable with sibilant tracks, but overall, have been tamed by the foam. (I had to trim microscophic amount of foam here and there to achieve balance) now I can listen to them longer and actually enjoy them.

Sound:
Bass - compared to my RE0, the GR01 has a lot more punch and impact. It can also extend down to sub levels while maintaining a good amount of detail. Bass is clean and a little bit faster than the BA200. Quantity-wise, the GR01 trumps both the RE0 and BA200. But my trusty Dunu Trident still trumps the 01's in terms of sheer volume and quantity. Though the trident's bass sound muddy in comparison.

Midbass/Mids/upper mids - are forward, clear and articulate. Vocals are given a shimery top end hiss but feels cold and analytical. Trumpets can sound sibilant as well as male tenor voices. Pianos impact-full with attack and strings have a little bit of shimer. Midbass is thin compared to the tridents though the BA200 is almost comparable although on vocals and piano, the BA200 delivers a generally warmer sound.

Lower treble/Highs - are very forward and sometimes sibilant. A little bit of Treble sparkle is also present. Cymbals sound crisp and airy typical of TWFK drivers but can still be sibilant with certain tracks. Carrie Underwood's "Good Girl" for example, is just unforgivable. What the GR01 delivers better than the RE0, BA200 and Trident is energetic treble that extends right to the very top...and a little bit too much for my liking on certain tracks. I don't mind extended treble, i like sparkly airy highs but the peak at around 5-10 khz is very noticeable. This peak is greatly reduced by deep insertion, and i mean really deep but can be annoying even at normal listening levels forcing you to reduce volume by about 10%. In comparison, the RE0 is treble also forward but the GR01 is about 20-30% brighter. Overall, I like the RE0 more in this department. They just offer some of the best highs out there without being too sibilant.

Speed/transients/attack
Are better than anything I have as of the moment and even trumps my BA200 which also is a dual BA IEM. It is very clear across the entire spectrum. Decay is also better than anything i currently own. These drivers are fast, and i even made a mistake of playing two tracks at the same time on my phone (using two separate programs will let you do it) and i was pleasantly surprised that i can hear both songs clearly without it skipping a beat.

I have read somewhere that the conversation he had with his IEM was like:

Guy: hey, you seem to have missed a little bit of warmth here and there.
IEM: yeah, but I am actually 2 beats ahead!

This is exactly how i feel with the GR01.

Presentation:
Soundstage Feels very closed in, everything is brought to you as if they were playing a concert in your face. Vocals are forward and imaging is just average. The BA200 will run circles around the GR01 in terms of width and depth, but the GR01 still has an advantage in terms of detail due to the forward nature of the signature.

Overall, though i have tried my very best to like them, i just find the GR01 to be a little too agressive and bright. I thought the solution was to add more foam, but it ruins overall clarity and balance. Anything more than what i put in will elevate the midbass and make it sound muddy and nasal and surprisingly enhance the 5khz peak.
For those who like treble, clarity and detail packaged in a very energetic and forward presentation will find the GR01 perfect. Those looking for warmth and mid/vocal oriented clarity and laidback presentation, the BA200 maybe your best bet outside custom or insanely expensive universals.

It is a love-hate relationship with the latter becoming an inevitable realization. And so, I would have to part ways with my GR01 and embrace my BA200 until I get the guts to tell my wife...

"hey honey, i got new earphones, they are called "miracles", too bad you won't be able to try them coz i picked the bigger ones that fit my ears exacttly .but i got a really cool case and my name etched for free! What?How much are they?....hello?....Hello? service is really weak here downstairs, i'll come up in a bit...."

:)

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #98 of 136
I think you should get the correct damper installed in the GR01's before giving up.

I was looking at getting some of these and pretty much every review I saw stated that they were one of the smoother TWFK sets.  Having the wrong impedence material in the nozzle will ruin the sound. The 'paper filter' is a lot more than that. it is an acoustic damper used to attenuate and tune the sound from the drivers.

You may be able to transform these for pennies.

Have a look for the Etymotic NRB mod, this is basically a change of damper.

Nov 14, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #99 of 136
Quote:
I think you should get the correct damper installed in the GR01's before giving up.

I was looking at getting some of these and pretty much every review I saw stated that they were one of the smoother TWFK sets.  Having the wrong impedence material in the nozzle will ruin the sound. The 'paper filter' is a lot more than that. it is an acoustic damper used to attenuate and tune the sound from the drivers.

You may be able to transform these for pennies.

Have a look for the Etymotic NRB mod, this is basically a change of damper.

Changing the damper for the GR01 will potentially ruin the tonal balance; dampers mostly alter first peak amplitude, and the resonance peaks of the two drivers in the TWFK are different and will respond differently. While it's not unheard of to use the TWFK with a red 2200 ohm damper or yellow 3300 ohm damper, most use a white 680 ohm damper. Changing the damper in Ety earphones is a different endeavor; because they're single driver, the alteration to the first peak response is easily predictable, whereas multiple peak alterations with a TWFK will actually change the sound quite a bit. Changing out the dampers in a TWFK may turn it from bad to worse to good to bad again. It'll require more trial and error than the Etys.

Nov 14, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #101 of 136
Quote:
Then i noticed that the steel mesh and paper filter are missing.

Well that's unfortunate... nice job at DIY-ing to make it sound more tolerable though. 
smile.gif

I've listened to these before without the mesh and filter for the hell of it, but I used Etymotic triple-flanges to give a deep enough fit to tame sibilance due to resonance. Even if it does have the mesh and filter it can still sound sibilant at times if seal/insertion depth isn't good enough..

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #102 of 136
Thanks for all the recommendations about the dampers and all. But I don't think I can get any of those dampers here unless I order online. I am thinking of getting the GR07 MK2 or the Bass Edition to replace my GR01s. While I cannot fault the GR01's sibilance because of the missing stock filters, I am inclined to think the GR07s will offer less spikes while retaining the Vsonic sound signature. which I really like from the GR01.(minus the sibilance) I wanted to get a brand new GR01 just for the heck of it, but something about this logic feels off to me. The practical side of me says, get the GR07 which has been praised since it was launched, but the technical and illogical side of me say, get a brand new GR01 and if is no better than your old pair, then just live with it! :)

I love my BA200s by the way, I think it offers so much musicality without the offensive spikes from other contenders. :) But I wanted to explore some more before I stumble down the "Miracle" path.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #103 of 136
Quote:

Well that's unfortunate... nice job at DIY-ing to make it sound more tolerable though. 
smile.gif

I've listened to these before without the mesh and filter for the hell of it, but I used Etymotic triple-flanges to give a deep enough fit to tame sibilance due to resonance. Even if it does have the mesh and filter it can still sound sibilant at times if seal/insertion depth isn't good enough..

Thanks, I was being creative and...brave, sticking pieces of foam into something so delicate, and expensive. Yes, deep insertion helps but it gives a bit of discomfort. :) and I think it pinches the mids a little bit. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #104 of 136
Really? The hf5 has more bass than the GR01? I felt the opposite. I guess maybe I never had a good seal with the hf5's. The triple flange tips were ridiculously deep for me, maybe I still never had them in far enough to get a proper seal. Anyway, I always felt the GR01 had plenty of bass, even sub-bass, and I never found them to be sibilant.
Quote:
Well, this was supposed to be a reply to a PM regarding a comparison between the GR01 and HF5, but I managed to get carried away by writing a bit more so I may as well share it with everyone. 
smile.gif

Disclaimer:
I'm not using the GR01 with the included tips that it came with as I couldn't get a comfortable and deep enough fit to avoid its treble from sounding harsh due to lack of seal. Instead I'm using MEElec tri-flanges (TS3) designed for the M6 which I purchased separately. Also, I didn't exactly spend a lot of time to make this comparison which I did (listening and drafting on my iPod) while laying down in bed not falling very sleepy...

Bass:
The HF5 has more quantity, most noticeably the mid-bass. When comparing both IEMs side-by-side, the HF5 has a tiny bit more impact due to having greater quantity. As for the extension, I really can't say much because I always end up going back to the GR07 if the basshead within me surfaces. What I will say though is that they can extend down deep enough to make the lowest notes in some of my electronic music audible. Both have great quality in the bass department, but to my ears, the GR01 trumps the HF5 by being that much more accurate and tight, providing cleaner notes.

Mids:
I'll start off that both both IEMs have very good mids. Both are clear, detailed, and quite neutral. However I feel that the HF5 sounds just slightly less neutral, perhaps due to its slightly thicker presentation. Timbre are excellent in both although once again the GR01 edges out the HF5. On an enjoyable scale I slightly prefer listening to the HF5 although on a technical scale the GR01 wins by being that much more detailed.

Treble:
Before I've even heard the HF5 and GR01, I already had high expectations in the treble department. I've read reviews and noticed that Etymotic, and TWFKs have excellent treble, and I'm not disappointed. Both can extend high and are very detailed while providing sparkle. The HF5 has a slightly elevated treble, but is able to remain non-fatiguing. As for the GR01, I kind of feel the same way mostly due to its slightly lacking bass presence. But for me, I prefer the GR01 overall in the treble department simply because it sounds airier and to my ears at least, has that touch of extra 'shimmer'. However, the GR01 may be more susceptible to sibilance depending on the fit.

Soundstage and detail:
Both have quite a well-rounded soundstage, although doesn't feel as wide and deep as the GR07. However, size-wise the HF5 is slightly smaller leading me to feel a bit more enclosed. The GR01 has a slightly larger soundstage, and for me, I guess size matters when it comes to IEMs.
And as detailed the HF5 already is, the GR01 bests it. The GR01s clarity, instrument separation, presentation, and overall accuracy is better to my ears. 

In short, GR01 > HF5, to my ears at least. 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back