VSONIC GR01 Info, Impressions & Appreciation thread
Apr 30, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #61 of 136
Here's some thoughts I put down on paper that I thought I'd share.

Disclaimer: I bought these from a reputable seller online and I am writing this review as part of a discount campaign that they are having. I am in no way affiliated with the seller and was not forced to write this review. As with all reviews, this is my opinion and other may have different experiences.

Presentation: The GR01 came in a typical VSonic packaging with a clear plastic outside box and several layers of paper/cardboard boxes inside. The presentation is very clean and I like it. Nothing too frilly and it gets the job done. You are shown an array of tips that are included and the IEMs are embedded in a clean looking foam cutout.

Accessories: The GR01 comes with a very great set of accessories and I was very surprised with the amount of tips that were provided. Definitely rivals Westone with the amount of tips you get. You are shown about 7 tips from the outside, but as you open the box, you see that they provide even more sets of tips inside the box. They definitely cover all their bases and there is bound to be a set of tips that will fit everyone. There is a vast array of tips that seem to be very similar to Sony Hybrids. They also have a set of rubber tips that have a ring of foam on the inside. It’s the first time I’ve seen tips like this and I really like the idea of it. There’s also a nice soft carrying case that is provided that seems to be faux leather.

Comfort: With the whole array of tips that are provided and the thin body of the GR01, it is one of the most comfortable IEMs I’ve ever worn. There is no fumbling around with trying to insert it at the right angle, it just works. Sound isolation is one of the best, the thin body really allows you to insert them deep into the ear.

Sound: The GR01 is a dual driver TWFK based IEM, similar to the CK10, which I used to own. I was expecting it to be more similar to the CK10, but I was pleasantly surprised. The CK10 is a great IEM and I liked it a lot when I had it. Detail retrieval is exceptional and the highs are one of the best in an IEM I’ve ever heard. However, I prefer more of a warm and sweet sound and I was a bit too sensitive to the sibilance that the CK10 had in the highs. The GR01 switches it up and while it maintains great neutrality and detail retrieval, it leans a bit more to the warm side of the spectrum. The sound is a bit more natural to me and I prefer it more to the sound that the CK10 had.

The highs are definitely smoother than the CK10, which is exactly what I was looking for. I did not have any issues with sibilance, and I tested it out on several tracks that I have that are more prone to sibilance. While it is smoother than the CK10, it still maintains a good level of detail and is even able to convey a little sparkle at times.  

The mids are natural and smooth, leaning a little to the warm side. It’s in between the W4 and e-Q7 in terms of warmth, closer to the W4. Mids are pretty liquid and have good texture, but nowhere near what the RE262 provides. The RE262 still has the best set of mids I’ve ever heard on an IEM, but the GR01 does a great job for a BA in this regard. On top of that, the GR01 doesn't require an amp to sound its best, which the RE262 does.

In typical BA fashion, bass is very clean and tight, but still has a decent amount of punch to it and can still shine through on tracks that you expect to have more bass. It’s actually surprisingly dynamic and I feel the bass is adequate. I will admit though, there are times I can feel myself wanting the kind of bass you can get out of a real dynamic driver. Compared to the CK10, if my memory serves me correctly, the bass has more body to it. The bass extension may just be a hair behind the CK10, but it is definitely very close.

Overall I’m satisfied with the purchase. It’s a good compromise between the warmth and sweetness I liked from the RE262 and the speed and detail that BAs can bring to the table. In comparison with all the BAs I’ve owned in the past, I still think I prefer the SM3 more for its more mid-forward presentation and the stronger bass, but that's more of a personal thing. However, for the price, it's amazing how close it comes with some of the top tier BA IEMs I've owned. I actually prefer it to the SE535 and the UM3X. You definitely cannot go wrong with the GR01. It’s close behind the SM3 and reminds me a bit of the e-Q5 and e-Q7, which I hold in really high regard.

May 1, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #62 of 136
Thanks, EraserXIV! I updated the first post with a link to your review... 
beerchug.gif

May 3, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #63 of 136
Just a heads up to you guys (and girls) who have the GR01,

The glue which holds the rear black bit to the metal housing may wear off. Early signs are the metal housing twisting, i.e. the 'GR01' writing isn't aligned. Not really a big thing to worry about though, as I just simply applied more super glue to help it stick.
In my case the twisting ended up getting quite loose so I just decided to take it apart and just re-do the gluing myself. Part of the reason why I did that is because I was intrigued as to what and/or where the tiny hole at the bottom of the metal house led to. The answer to that is.. nothing. It's just simply a hole in the housing for reasons I do not know. It's not a vent as I know TWFKs aren't vented. As for what it looked like inside, I just saw the silver and copper cable, along with a lot of yellow material (looked like some sort of hardened foam/liquid) which held the driver in place.

Anyways, my GR01s are now good as new! 
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #65 of 136
Quote:
Just a heads up to you guys (and girls) who have the GR01,

The glue which holds the rear black bit to the metal housing may wear off. Early signs are the metal housing twisting, i.e. the 'GR01' writing isn't aligned. Not really a big thing to worry about though, as I just simply applied more super glue to help it stick.
In my case the twisting ended up getting quite loose so I just decided to take it apart and just re-do the gluing myself. Part of the reason why I did that is because I was intrigued as to what and/or where the tiny hole at the bottom of the metal house led to. The answer to that is.. nothing. It's just simply a hole in the housing for reasons I do not know. It's not a vent as I know TWFKs aren't vented. As for what it looked like inside, I just saw the silver and copper cable, along with a lot of yellow material (looked like some sort of hardened foam/liquid) which held the driver in place.

Anyways, my GR01s are now good as new! 
biggrin.gif

Didn't you take any pictures of it's guts? 
rolleyes.gif

May 3, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #66 of 136
Quote:

Didn't you take any pictures of it's guts? 
rolleyes.gif

Unfortunately I didn't... The only camera I have with me is either my phone or my 4th-gen iPod Touch, both of which aren't good enough.
If you're now wondering how I got those pictures in my review, I had to borrow my friend's camera.. 
redface.gif

May 3, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #67 of 136
Quote:
Unfortunately I didn't... The only camera I have with me is either my phone or my 4th-gen iPod Touch, both of which aren't good enough.
If you're now wondering how I got those pictures in my review, I had to borrow my friend's camera.. 
redface.gif

Well, a think a bad picture is better than no picture! 
deadhorse.gif

Still, as you said, there's not much to see inside. I was just a bit curious... 
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #69 of 136
I have pair of these on their way to me. Why arent these more popular here on head-fi?

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #70 of 136
Quote:
I have pair of these on their way to me. Why arent these more popular here on head-fi?

I'm thinking it's because there's already a few dual-BAs around, and when someone asks or mentions a dual-BA, it's most likely the DBA-02; and judging by impressions, the DBAs don't sound that far off from the GR01.
I guess it all boils down to the fact that the GR01 didn't make that much of an impact upon release so it didn't get much attention, unlike the GR07.

Oh and I highly suggest using tri-flange tips with these, as I found the included single-flanges were too uncomfortable/not-the-best-fit. It's a bit like how I don't see anyone using single-flanges with Etymotic IEMs. 

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #71 of 136
Will the Klipsch ovals fit on these? I know they make a bi-flange. I actually tried the hf3 a couple months back and did not like the triple flange.
Quote:

I'm thinking it's because there's already a few dual-BAs around, and when someone asks or mentions a dual-BA, it's most likely the DBA-02; and judging by impressions, the DBAs don't sound that far off from the GR01.
I guess it all boils down to the fact that the GR01 didn't make that much of an impact upon release so it didn't get much attention, unlike the GR07.

Oh and I highly suggest using tri-flange tips with these, as I found the included single-flanges were too uncomfortable/not-the-best-fit. It's a bit like how I don't see anyone using single-flanges with Etymotic IEMs. 

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #72 of 136
Will the klipsch ovals from the S4 fit these? I know klipsch makes a bi-flange. I tried the hf3 a couple months back and did not like the triple flange.
Quote:

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #73 of 136
Will the klipsch ovals from the S4 fit these? I know klipsch makes a bi-flange. I tried the hf3 a couple months back and did not like the triple flange.

GRO1 nozzel is 4mm. S4 nozzel is 3mm. I think you should be right, they'll be a little tighter on the GRO1 nozzel. :wink:

You'll be good to go. Have fun with your GRO1 they have interested me quite a lot.

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #74 of 136
Im actually very interested in the hybrids with the foam in them, ive never tried them but it sounds like a cool concept. If i dont like any of the stock tips ill be trying the sleek sa6 tips or the klipsch tips next.

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #75 of 136
Im actually very interested in the hybrids with the foam in them, ive never tried them but it sounds like a cool concept. If i dont like any of the stock tips ill be trying the sleek sa6 tips or the klipsch tips next.

I have them for my GRO7, I find they don't make any difference to isolation in my opinion. Tyler from innerfidelity did a test with original Sony tips (which are basically the same thing) finding no real difference between the inner foam and standard Hybrid tips. If anything they insert a smidgen tighter. Sounds impressive in theory.

Here's a video where he has a quick talk about them during his review. I also read the written version which goes into a little more detail about them but the video pretty much explains it in a nut shell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back