VSONIC GR01 Info, Impressions & Appreciation thread
Jul 11, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #121 of 136
Quote:
There's a seller letting these go on eBay atm for $180 Aud.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Vsonic-GR01-R01-Professional-earphone-IEM-in-ear-Free-shipping-/221223466297?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item3381f23539

I decided to check them out ordering a pair, I really enjoyed Vsonics VC1000 recently. Look out for some impressions in coming weeks.

Very tempted to jump on this, does anyone have comparisons between these and the R-50? Are they different enough to warrant a buy?

Jul 17, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #122 of 136
Received my GR01 today, really fast, the seller ships EMS express.

They're absolutely tiny in size I'd forgotten how small VC1000 was. Two things I am not happy with, one there's no cable cinch (this was the case with VC1000) not really a standard on $180 IEM. Secondly there's decent amounts of sibilance forming in vocals and the upper mids region, can anyone who has GR01 tell me if this settles with some hours on them? They're very fresh out of the box, happening on several sources.

Pushing those two problems aside they sound very natural with decent soundstage and separation, airy I just hope that sibilance runs itself a little smoother as I have them running at fairly high volume for a few hours. First impressions they do sound very nice. This was all with about 30 minutes on them out of the box, so still very early days yet.

I'll grab some pics later.

Jul 17, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #123 of 136
You can make a simple cable cinch with a small piece of a twist tie. I don't notice any sibilance with mine. It could be source or tip/seal dependant. I really like the supplied bi-flange tips.   
Quote:
Received my GR01 today, really fast, the seller ships EMS express.

They're absolutely tiny in size I'd forgotten how small VC1000 was. Two things I am not happy with, one there's no cable cinch (this was the case with VC1000) not really a standard on $180 IEM. Secondly there's decent amounts of sibilance forming in vocals and the upper mids region, can anyone who has GR01 tell me if this settles with some hours on them? They're very fresh out of the box, happening on several sources.

Pushing those two problems aside they sound very natural with decent soundstage and separation, airy I just hope that sibilance runs itself a little smoother as I have them running at fairly high volume for a few hours. First impressions they do sound very nice. This was all with about 30 minutes on them out of the box, so still very early days yet.

I'll grab some pics later.

Jul 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #124 of 136
You can make a simple cable cinch with a small piece of a twist tie. I don't notice any sibilance with mine. It could be source or tip/seal dependant. I really like the supplied bi-flange tips.   

I am running several different sources. Cowon J3, Colorfly C3, Rocco BA.

I am not one to be fussy about sibilance usually but these are biting similar to GR07 fresh out of the box.

I have a feeling it's going to smooth a little..

Jul 17, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #125 of 136
Which tips are you using? I'd call them brighter with the single flange sony hybrid style tips, but they seem smoother with the bi-flange tips. I don't notice any sibilance when using the bi-flange tips. Never have, even when they were new.
Quote:
I am running several different sources. Cowon J3, Colorfly C3, Rocco BA.

I am not one to be fussy about sibilance usually but these are biting similar to GR07 fresh out of the box.

I have a feeling it's going to smooth a little..

Jul 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #126 of 136
Which tips are you using? I'd call them brighter with the single flange sony hybrid style tips, but they seem smoother with the bi-flange tips. I don't notice any sibilance when using the bi-flange tips. Never have, even when they were new.

Using the stock (large) purple stem tips for now. I'll check them out a little a later. See, the sibilance wasn't so much an issue at lower volumes but they sound best ina sweet spot and that's where the sibilance kicks in the most when you lift the volume.

Never fear though, only early days. :wink:

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #127 of 136
Quote:

I second this. 
smile.gif

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #128 of 136
Spent some good listening time with GR01 last night, settled on Cowon J3 for their source, I'm pretty impressed with what I'm hearing, seemingly the best dual BA I have heard. Sibilance did settle and I think on that first listen I was really giving them to much volume which would of occurred with other IEM's. Things that really impress me are imaging is very accurate and those BA's are fast, soundstage has decent width also treble detail is really impressive.Another thing that struck me was their channel separation (left/right/middle) all distribute well. Most of all GR01 hold an agreeable vibe which can likewise be found in Vsonics GR07.

To my ears I think they're superior to GR07 noticeably in detail and separation but maybe not as versatile to every genre, those who like low ends of dynamic driver may not find GR01 sufficient, so it's not an IEM I could recommend to anyone but for those who have acquired that taste. As all Knowles associated IEM's have a certain tonality, they share to a degree light weight low end however, that is what gives these dual BA's their signature. I think anyone who is fan of R-50 should be checking these out, whether or not the extra money is worth it for GR01 I can't say, they seem to be a little more advanced than R-50 going off memory.

Overall I'm very at home with the $180 purchase, they're well suited when I lay down at night listening to music. Rather delicate trait similar to the DBA-02 and R-50.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #129 of 136
Be careful not to lose the white paper filters. They are pinned to the underside of the steel mesh by nothing more than the nozzle. They are very easy to lose. As I recall, Vsonic did does not include spare filters in the box. Without the filters the Gr01's are unbearable.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #130 of 136
Be careful not to lose the white paper filters. They are pinned to the underside of the steel mesh by nothing more than the nozzle. They are very easy to lose. As I recall, Vsonic did does not include spare filters in the box. Without the filters the Gr01's are unbearable.

I just checked thanks, mine are intact, unfortunate Vsonic didn't include some spares.

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #131 of 136
Glad you are liking them so much. I am really fond of mine. Sometimes I even use them at home, even though my modded T50rp are right next to me. They are quite impressive little things.

They go great with my Samsung Galaxy S4:

Quote:
Spent some good listening time with GR01 last night, settled on Cowon J3 for their source, I'm pretty impressed with what I'm hearing, seemingly the best dual BA I have heard. Sibilance did settle and I think on that first listen I was really giving them to much volume which would of occurred with other IEM's. Things that really impress me are imaging is very accurate and those BA's are fast, soundstage has decent width also treble detail is really impressive.Another thing that struck me was their channel separation (left/right/middle) all distribute well. Most of all GR01 hold an agreeable vibe which can likewise be found in Vsonics GR07.

To my ears I think they're superior to GR07 noticeably in detail and separation but maybe not as versatile to every genre, those who like low ends of dynamic driver may not find GR01 sufficient, so it's not an IEM I could recommend to anyone but for those who have acquired that taste. As all Knowles associated IEM's have a certain tonality, they share to a degree light weight low end however, that is what gives these dual BA's their signature. I think anyone who is fan of R-50 should be checking these out, whether or not the extra money is worth it for GR01 I can't say, they seem to be a little more advanced than R-50 going off memory.

Overall I'm very at home with the $180 purchase, they're well suited when I lay down at night listening to music. Rather delicate trait similar to the DBA-02 and R-50.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #133 of 136
Picked a pair of these up a couple days ago and WOW am I impressed.  So much more clarity than what my Klipsch X10's have.  The low end has taken a bit of getting used to, but so far it has been well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back