Vmoda Crossfade LP, Why all the bad reviews?
Feb 11, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #61 of 181
I saw this post on the V-Moda Crossfade LPs, and I thought I'd ask you guys something, if you don't mind. I've previously used a Sennheiser HD448 and PX 200-II and an AKG K518LE. The HD448 was too bass light for me though the mids and highs were truly beautiful, the PX 200-II was a nice all rounder, but it was sort of a jack of all trades, master of none deal, and the AKGs were quite nice but I much preferred over-ears as opposed to on ears.

Anyhow, I'm into about 100 hours of burn-in with my Crossfade LPs using my iTunes library. It's a pretty mixed bunch, everything from The Beatles and The Carpenters, to Lamb of God and Killswitch Engaged, and Swedish House Mafia and Daft Punk. I've set the volume to 100% in iTunes and 50% in Windows. Is that about right or should I be pushing harder?

I've found that, while I believe it's improved to a certain extent with the burn in, I still don't quite enjoy their sound signature. They're a little boomy, and the mids sort of blur into the bass at times. They certainly come into their own with some EQ-ing though, I give the 32 a slight boost, lowered 64, 125 and 250, and then a boost all the way from 500 to 16k. The mids really come forward, and the high frequencies come out to play too. Thumping bass feels much more tight and controlled, vocals start to shine, and instruments/percussion have a nice sparkle without being too bright.

Okay, that went on a little long. My question is: should I continue burning in these cans or go for an upgrade to the M-100. I'm sold on the build quality on these things, so I'm definitely sticking with V-Moda for the foreseeable future.

If you think I should burn it in, should I push it louder? I'm on just a standard cheapo VIA audio chip in my laptop, nothing fancy. Considering making a leap and getting either the Fiio E10 or E07K to serve as a DAC/Amp too. Would that make a big difference?

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #62 of 181
Yeah, I would say atleast 600 hrs. Me personally, I am at my 2nd yr of burning them in free time i dont listen to music. I wont compare them to a good open back but to be humble, they have a complety different sound sig now. its amazing!

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #63 of 181
Tried out my friends LP for a few minutes and I immediately contorted my face.  Not for me.  It didn't sound bad or offensive just very muddy and recessed.  The bass itself was WAY too much.  To much slam for me and lots of bleed into the lower mids.  Speaking of mids they seem more recessed to me then ATH-M50.  Not much detail or extension up top either and its sound stage is nothing special for a closed headphone.

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #66 of 181
  Any advice as far as volume is concerned for the burn in? Also, are you using it amped or unamped?

Also, jaja, did you try EQ-ing the Crossfades? Makes a world of difference.

Also my observation, (and this may just be perceptional), that the kind of music you are burning it with defines its sound signature when it opens up, may be the diaphragms are not fast  enough and tends to get hard wired with a signature. i dont know whats up with that, but i burned it with a lot of mid range centric music, since its the muffled mid-range that is problem. fastness: well it would never get as fast as grado or X1 of an open back that i have, but it would be good enough to make them a keeper

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #67 of 181
^ Muffled midrange is due to the veiled highs. Just do some boosting above 4kHz and it will open up significantly.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #68 of 181
  Bro, I second every word you said. I have not seen any headphone change so much on a burn out. and strange thing is, the more you burn them out they just keep getting better. I came to a point (after like 500+ hrs of constant burn out with mid range centric music on high volumes ~ 105+ Dbs). i think the kind of music starts hard wiring it into its driver's sound signature. I cannot off course confirm that technically but through my experience and perception i see that when initially i was only burning them with dance / hip hop they were off course opening up, but later when i started loud country / rock / alternative / even classic with them i saw that mid range opened up like, its crazy! They are almost at 700th hr of playing; sounding almost like a barely good enough open back. off course not to compare to my HD 650 and Fidelio X1, but its impressive how much they opened up now.
Thus to conlcude considering:
1. Awesome built quality
2. Awesome accessories and carry case.
3. style and insane customizability.
4. pretty open sound stage for a closed back. (after burn out)
5. extremely awesome (and surprisingly) passive seal, even in extreme places like gym with a crossfit / zumba next to you at loudest level. you almost dont get bothered by the world around.
6. you can almost start switching to your rock or country for a change even in configurations like gym, before burn out i was strictly R&B, dance, dubstep, gym music-ing them and dare not to
7. Got me self a cool sumerian symbol sketched by me own two hands, a proud feel to see it on your head phones. Good to see that make hot babes turn their head and see my cans! gonna use that to approach and talk to one, if you know what i mean :p :p
8. Super duper bass responsive off course, the most important and assumed thing off these cans. more important its not just a booming bass, its really deep, like if there is a resonation going at three different bass harmonics, these would easily resolve and present it to you. Yes thats the kind of bass i am talking about. Audiophiles who just get sarcastic over the bass card being played by so many headphones with "yaa. whatever, we know what bass do bass-head phones deliver??", its not the case with these. if you really want to experience a revelation of what bass can do to you, listen to V-modas. it can turn a traditionaly bass hating person like me start loving bass! now thats profound!
9. Most important of all, off course cause non of us are warren buffet here! ALL THIS AT A PRICE TAG OF 105 $$$ ON AMAZON CURRENTLY!
10. I can safely say these are better OVERALL value for buck even more then my Px-100, and mind you it has taken me more than 6 yrs to make this statement finally

Thirded. Only reason I got these, was because they were on sale for like 60 dollars on black friday, seemed like a good deal for an expensive set of headphones, and they look really durable (I broke my last few headphones!). Normally I wouldn't have been interested in these at all, I don't listen to electronic, rap etc.

When I first got them and listened to them I was pretty appalled... just sounded muddy and awful, however after quite a bit of burn in I agree they sound far better.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #69 of 181
Thirded. Only reason I got these, was because they were on sale for like 60 dollars on black friday, seemed like a good deal for an expensive set of headphones, and they look really durable (I broke my last few headphones!). Normally I wouldn't have been interested in these at all, I don't listen to electronic, rap etc.

When I first got them and listened to them I was pretty appalled... just sounded muddy and awful, however after quite a bit of burn in I agree they sound far better.
after hours like you mentioned, now I don't need my Shure SRH840.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #71 of 181
Highly doubt it. That site is known for making imitation junk.

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #72 of 181
Hiya guys,

I just bought these from eBay. I know they're an acquired taste but I have a question, are these supposed to have detachable cables? The ones I have seem to be welded in at the headphone end. In some reviews they do have detachable cables & in some they don't. Could these be fake? Thanks

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #73 of 181
Hiya guys,

I just bought these from eBay. I know they're an acquired taste but I have a question, are these supposed to have detachable cables? The ones I have seem to be welded in at the headphone end. In some reviews they do have detachable cables & in some they don't. Could these be fake? Thanks

Yes they have detachable cables, if you bought them from ebay there is a chance that they could be fake 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back