Vmoda Crossfade LP, Why all the bad reviews?
Nov 28, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #17 of 181
For the short time I had mine I used a Fiio E11.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #18 of 181
yes the fiio e11 is pretty good with these but i got an i basso t5 for my Sony a865 about 3 weeks ago(50+ hours of burn in on the t5) and i use this setup with my lp2s(200+ hours) and i can say one word, holy s#$t. they have so much smooth deep bass with all the highs and mids being presented with such smoothness. ive herd many sets of high end sennheisers, beyers, stax, denon. and i honestly don't think they are good enough to be worth thousands of dollhairs., anyway my business partner who is an audio ^engineer(who got me into headphones) with 35 years in the business( he made sounds for the movie titanic) reluctantly agrees with me and also thinks they have the "studio sound" and are very very good. also i think 80% of people on head fi that give reviews are deaf.

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #21 of 181
600hrs seems a fairly long time for burn-in...

Long or not,it somehow worked. I just realized how spoiled I've been with audio recently. A buddy of mine has some Sennheiser HD 595s. I used to have the same pair years ago. Anyway I recently got a Fiio E10 for $45 on craigslist. I was at his house and commentedbonbthe fact that we had the same studio monitors. This guy is definitely tuned better than the average guy for audio equipment. I then saw his 595s on a headphone stand and was like "whoah!I used to have those!" Then offered to grab my DAC and headphones out of my car to let him check them out. I told him there's no way my cross fade lp will sound as good as his 595s. We hooked them up ton the DAC and he liked then DAC then wanted to try my headphones which are beat to **** now. He told me that mine sound better,and I was like "What?!?" Then he said not only was the bass more clear but then highs were better too, and said the cross fade have a much better soundstage. My other friend tried both pairs and told me that he thought the crossfade sounded warmer,sweeter and more real, then said the 595s were harsh even though he heard the highs better on the cross fade. He told me it was like going from garbage mylar tweeters to some more natural sounding silk domes. I taught this guy,my best friend everything he knows about audio. I was still in disbelief that mine were better so I asked to compare.

So you know, I never started messing with high quality headphone amps until I had the cross fade. I've had good headphones like the 595, erymotic er6i,sennheiser cx6,Bose quite comfort 3 and triportnin ear which were gifts and Bose IMO is garbage but I'll list them for comparison.

Anyway I tried them on to find that they were right. The bass was more articulate on the crossfade. The highs were more transient and everything was there. Even if the 595s were blasting in my ears, I could still hear more in the crossfade at half the volume. It seems that my weird burn in process has really made my headphones much much better.

Oh and by the way,I have studio monitors with Kevlar drivers,silk dome tweeters and a velodyne uld 18 subwoofer which is flat to 13hz. It pushes 104db@ 20hz with .05% total harmonic distortion,and can push over 120 db with under 3% THD.

You will all think I'm ********ting you but from what I remember how the 595 sounded when in was a kid,I thought that the 595 amplified would rape my crossfade because everyone on this site loves the 595 and think the crossfade are about as good as garbage Dr dre beats. This goes to show how dumb the average self proclaimed expert is.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #22 of 181
My first impression of the LPs was "o.O"

They just seemed like garbage... the low-end was muddy and not even intense, and there were no highs at all.  It was like the speakers in the headphones were inside tiny pieces of tupperware with holes poked in them, if you can imagine how that might affect the sound of a perfectly good device.

I bought a FiiO E10 and stuck them in that... Now I had some very fun bass, but there were still no mids or highs and at this point I was thinking to myself, "What the hell, I spent $100 on these?"

Next, I came upon this thread!  I saw your claims of great results sticking them in your Yeti microphone.  My eyes lit up, and I looked at my own Yeti on the desk and plugged the LPs right in!  If anything, the sound was even worse at first ...  I went to control panel and found that the Yeti has a silly little equalizer, offering you to adjust "Bass" and "Treble" from -12 to +12 dB.  Upon cranking the Treble up to max... a miracle!  The LPs actually sounded okay!

I still wasn't satisfied, though.  It wasn't enough for my money.  But the Yeti gave me a brilliant idea.

I plugged the LPs back into my sound card, and went into my Realtek drivers.  After devoting much time I've come up with these EQ settings which sound spectacular to me.  I'll key you in on how each of these sliders sounds.

http://s18.postimage.org/49s2d6g1j/huff.png
(since the forums don't seem to be accepting images right now)

The 31Hz slider really doesn't affect the sound that much, and turning it up as far as I did was merely to match my personal palette.  It makes the bass "Fun".

The 62Hz slider is placed right at the threshold that I found- setting it any higher would start muddying-up the bass.

125Hz is fine right at the default setting.  Any lower will diminish the mids noticeably, and any higher really muddies everything up.

250Hz.  This is another one you don't want to take past mid, but I felt it sounded good moved down a little.  Turning this slider up sounds just like a phaser effect... which is pretty silly.

500Hz is where I believe the main flaw in the midrange of these headphones lies.  Without it being turned up significantly, everything just sounds diminished.

1kHz is good where it's at, too.  Any less sounds diminished and any more makes an airy effect.

2kHz is a little hard to explain.  All of the highs DEFINITELY needed cranked up, you can barely hear them at the default setting.  It makes me think that the LP in Crossfade LP actually stands for Low-Pass filter.  But anyway, 2k just caused a little bit of distortion and that airy sound all the way up, so I brought it down a bit.

The rest of the high end totally sound great cranked all the way up like that, though.

TL;DR:  My experience with the Crossfade LPs was that of a rough gem that needed to be refined with some lovely EQing shown above. 

Oh, and yes, I've had several hundred hours of burn-in, but without the EQ they still sound like ****.

I hope this overly dramatic (and long!) post helps somebody.  If you have Crossfades (or any headphones) and you're dissatisfied with them, try some EQing if you can do it with your setup.

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #23 of 181
Quote:
My first impression of the LPs was "o.O"

They just seemed like garbage... the low-end was muddy and not even intense, and there were no highs at all.  It was like the speakers in the headphones were inside tiny pieces of tupperware with holes poked in them, if you can imagine how that might affect the sound of a perfectly good device.

I bought a FiiO E10 and stuck them in that... Now I had some very fun bass, but there were still no mids or highs and at this point I was thinking to myself, "What the hell, I spent $100 on these?"

Next, I came upon this thread!  I saw your claims of great results sticking them in your Yeti microphone.  My eyes lit up, and I looked at my own Yeti on the desk and plugged the LPs right in!  If anything, the sound was even worse at first ...  I went to control panel and found that the Yeti has a silly little equalizer, offering you to adjust "Bass" and "Treble" from -12 to +12 dB.  Upon cranking the Treble up to max... a miracle!  The LPs actually sounded okay!

I still wasn't satisfied, though.  It wasn't enough for my money.  But the Yeti gave me a brilliant idea.

I plugged the LPs back into my sound card, and went into my Realtek drivers.  After devoting much time I've come up with these EQ settings which sound spectacular to me.  I'll key you in on how each of these sliders sounds.

http://s18.postimage.org/49s2d6g1j/huff.png
(since the forums don't seem to be accepting images right now)

The 31Hz slider really doesn't affect the sound that much, and turning it up as far as I did was merely to match my personal palette.  It makes the bass "Fun".

The 62Hz slider is placed right at the threshold that I found- setting it any higher would start muddying-up the bass.

125Hz is fine right at the default setting.  Any lower will diminish the mids noticeably, and any higher really muddies everything up.

250Hz.  This is another one you don't want to take past mid, but I felt it sounded good moved down a little.  Turning this slider up sounds just like a phaser effect... which is pretty silly.

500Hz is where I believe the main flaw in the midrange of these headphones lies.  Without it being turned up significantly, everything just sounds diminished.

1kHz is good where it's at, too.  Any less sounds diminished and any more makes an airy effect.

2kHz is a little hard to explain.  All of the highs DEFINITELY needed cranked up, you can barely hear them at the default setting.  It makes me think that the LP in Crossfade LP actually stands for Low-Pass filter.  But anyway, 2k just caused a little bit of distortion and that airy sound all the way up, so I brought it down a bit.

The rest of the high end totally sound great cranked all the way up like that, though.

TL;DR:  My experience with the Crossfade LPs was that of a rough gem that needed to be refined with some lovely EQing shown above. 

Oh, and yes, I've had several hundred hours of burn-in, but without the EQ they still sound like ****.

I hope this overly dramatic (and long!) post helps somebody.  If you have Crossfades (or any headphones) and you're dissatisfied with them, try some EQing if you can do it with your setup.

Which EQ program is in that photo?

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #27 of 181
Quote:
Are these LPs selling on Amazon fake? They're all like around $100 price point compare to Vmoda shop which is $200.

Have you never heard of MSRP versus street price?

I can personally vouch for the Crossfade LPs being sold on Amazon. I picked up a pair for $75 and they are legit. Not very good IMO but legit.

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #28 of 181
It's not fake if it's sold by Amazon itself, there are a lot of 3rd parties selling on amazon rightnow. And Vmoda already mentioned to buyers to beaware of the fake ones that selling on amazon from 3rd parties.

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #29 of 181
Quote:
Are these LPs selling on Amazon fake? They're all like around $100 price point compare to Vmoda shop which is $200.

Quote:
It's not fake if it's sold by Amazon itself, there are a lot of 3rd parties selling on amazon rightnow. And Vmoda already mentioned to buyers to beaware of the fake ones that selling on amazon from 3rd parties.

Consider me confused. You ask if the ones selling on Amazon are fakes then you post that if Amazon is selling them they're not fakes but 3rd party sellers may be according to VModa. So what's the problem? Here they are being sold by Amazon for $105.http://www.amazon.com/Crossfade-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone-Gunmetal/dp/B003BYRGKY/
Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back